Re: [NBTC-ENL] showing growth in language development

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11, 2012
      which one are you looking at? working on?

      just going by the general question..
      it can be little things.. for example.. just the other day i had a 2nd grader who wasn't using a/an correctly.. so we worked on that..
      and later in the lesson i could tell he was getting it b/c we were writing about animals and he said/wrote 'An elephant".. so that would be an example of
      showing lang devel in a lesson..
      that would be an example of growth

      also could be other stuff.. not grammary things..
      like i have a student who always talks while others is talking... cultural style.. so one of my goals/objectives for him is to use turn taking..
      kinda important in american social setting to keep from looking 'rude' etc.. so in another lesson we talked about it.. and then were doing
      group work so he had to listening/speak/interacte w/ a group of his peers and i saw that he was doing it less..
      form interrupting about 5 times in 10mins on our last lesson to only intrrupting 3times in our 10mins group.. or something like that..

      OR if it is wriring.. maby you want them to write a short paragraph and last time you supplied the opening/closing sentences or sentenc estarters
      and this time they wrote their own sentences, OR wrote 6 sentences instead of 4 senetneces.. etc..

      can also be vocab.. start of the lesson i did yesterday... a student didn't have any idea of what the solar system was.. let him draw a picture
      and all he put was triangles.. he has enough english to explain himself or at least point to the sky ,e tc.. but he really didnt' know that vocab
      after the lesson he knew it was as well as other vocab that goes with it..about the sun, planets, etc.. and even started to grasp rotation...

      hope that helps..

      clarify and i'll add more :)

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 11, 2012

      Thanks!  I’ve never been a part of a yahoo group, but I like it already =)

      Mónica Farris

      EL Teacher

      Colbert County Schools

      mfarris@...

      (256)386-8565

      "Be kind.  No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted." Aesop

      Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11, 2012
        super.. glad to hear it!

        http://www.nbpts.org/resources/state_local_information/Alabama

        Message 4 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
          I'm editing entries 2 and 3. I wrote about some examples similar to situations that you mentioned, but I was curious to see if I was on the right track.
          Thanks for responding.

          Message 5 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
            i totally understand.. it is a lot to take in...

            send questions any time.. more than happy to try to help :)