RE: [NBTC-ENL] showing growth in language development

  • Monica Farris
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11, 2012

    Hi,

    I just joined this group since I’m applying for NB certification for the 2012-13 school year.  Does anyone know about scholarships/grants available?  I may possibly get a State grant for the second half of the fee, but I need to pay the first $500 in order to get my kit.

    Mónica Farris

    EL Teacher

    Colbert County Schools

    mfarris@...

    (256)386-8565

    "Be kind.  No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted." Aesop

    Message 2 of 8 , Apr 11, 2012
      Contgrats and Welcome aboard!!!

      gosh.. i'm not sure where to get the $$..
      i first went to our Regional Professional Development Center (RPDC) & Cooperating School Distict (CSD) who told
      me where to go/ask/get application for state $$.
      I 'thought' there was a link on the NBTC site that connected to each state and where $/grants were..
      from your email it looks like you are from Alabama? here is the link to the page? maybe some info will be there for you?

      3 yrs ago, I got my overall $2,000 pd by my state, which was awesome.. but had to fork out the initial $500 for the box/kit myself..
      it was like.. if they realized you were going to do it and put $ up.. they paid the rest :)

      let's see if anyone else pipes up...

      Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11, 2012
        which one are you looking at? working on?

        just going by the general question..
        it can be little things.. for example.. just the other day i had a 2nd grader who wasn't using a/an correctly.. so we worked on that..
        and later in the lesson i could tell he was getting it b/c we were writing about animals and he said/wrote 'An elephant".. so that would be an example of
        showing lang devel in a lesson..
        that would be an example of growth

        also could be other stuff.. not grammary things..
        like i have a student who always talks while others is talking... cultural style.. so one of my goals/objectives for him is to use turn taking..
        kinda important in american social setting to keep from looking 'rude' etc.. so in another lesson we talked about it.. and then were doing
        group work so he had to listening/speak/interacte w/ a group of his peers and i saw that he was doing it less..
        form interrupting about 5 times in 10mins on our last lesson to only intrrupting 3times in our 10mins group.. or something like that..

        OR if it is wriring.. maby you want them to write a short paragraph and last time you supplied the opening/closing sentences or sentenc estarters
        and this time they wrote their own sentences, OR wrote 6 sentences instead of 4 senetneces.. etc..

        can also be vocab.. start of the lesson i did yesterday... a student didn't have any idea of what the solar system was.. let him draw a picture
        and all he put was triangles.. he has enough english to explain himself or at least point to the sky ,e tc.. but he really didnt' know that vocab
        after the lesson he knew it was as well as other vocab that goes with it..about the sun, planets, etc.. and even started to grasp rotation...

        hope that helps..

        clarify and i'll add more :)

        Message 5 of 8 , Apr 11, 2012
          super.. glad to hear it!

          http://www.nbpts.org/resources/state_local_information/Alabama

          Message 6 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
            I'm editing entries 2 and 3. I wrote about some examples similar to situations that you mentioned, but I was curious to see if I was on the right track.
            Thanks for responding.

            Message 7 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
              i totally understand.. it is a lot to take in...

              send questions any time.. more than happy to try to help :)