Re: [NBTC-ENL] Questions about Entry #1

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2012
      see my reponses below :)

      I'm currently working on Entry #1. The directions say that the 1st assessment should be taken before implementation of the unit. I have 2 different ESL classes. One class is working on poetry analysis, and the other class is working on a class newspaper unit. I have had both classes do a pre-assessment (#1 an annotation and analysis of a poem and #2 a newspaper article about the book we just finished). Do these count as assessments prior to implementation of the unit? I had the students do the pre-assessments in class, and the final products will be the same thing (a poetry analysis and a newspaper article) but after they have had many lessons, much feedback, discussion, etc. about how to improve their writing.
      I'M NOT SURE IF THE ENTRY 1 AS THE SAME THAT I DID A COUPLE YEARS AGO..BUT THE ONE THAT I DID ASKED THAT I LOOK AT 2 STUDENTS IN PARTICULAR AND THEIR PRE/POST ASSESSMENT. I CAN'T REMEMER IF THE LESSONS HAD TO BE THE SAME BUT MINE WERE MORE OR LESS, JUST ALTERED FOR THE STUDENTS LANGAUGE LEVEL, ABILITY. READINESS, ETC.. FOR EXAMPLE I DID MINE ON ANIMALS CATEGORIZATION W/ A NEW COMER AND AN UPPER LEVEL STUDENT. I REMEMBER THA TWAS ONE OF THE SPECIFICATION THAT WAS LISTED.. THEY HAD TO BE 2 DIFFERENT KIDS AND LEVELS.

      TO HELP ME RESPOND BETTER, I'M WONDERING ARE WHAT YOUR OBJECTIVES/GOALS ARE FOR EACH, WHAT 2 KIDS MIGHT YOU FOCUS ON AND HOW YOU ALTERED IT TO MEET EACH OF THEIR NEEDS TO SHOW WHAT THEY KNOW.. ONE THING THAT LEARNED REALLY HARD AND WELL ON THIS PARTICULAR ONE WAS TO KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!!!
      WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO ASSESS IN EACH? I WOULD PICK JUST 1 OR 2 RELATED THINGS..
      SO WHEN YOU SAY 'IMPROVE THEIR WRITING' WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU LOOKING IMPROVEMENT IN? THE USE OF ARTICLES? THE STRUCTURE OF A SENTENCE? DETAILS USING THE 5 SENSES? OR IN THE CASE OF WHAT I THNK I SEE IN YOUR QUESTION, YOUR OBJECTIVE MIGHT BE HOW TO CORRECTLY WRITE AN ANNOTATION? OR HOW TO ANALYSZE A POEM OR WRITE THE ARTICLE.  I WOUDN'T DO BOTH/ALL 3 AT THE SAME TIME OR EVEN 2..
      I WOULD CONSIDER JUST WRITING YOUR ENTRY FOCUSING ON ONE??? OR LEAST REALLY SUPPORTING WHYY YOU WOULD DO BOTH? .. I  USUALLY THINK OF ANNOTATIONS FOR REPORTS? MAYBE I'M CONFUSED.. IT COULD BE..  NOT ANNOTATIONS AND POEMS TOGETHER? UNLESS I'M MISUNDERSTANDING WHICH IS TOTALLY POSSIBLE :)

      I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT OTHERS HAVE TO SAY :)

      AS FOR THE NEWSPAPER ARTICLE.... ARE YOU HAVING THEM WRITE THE NEWPAPER ARTICLE TWICE??? I'M THINKING THAT THE ASSESSMENT HAS TO BE DIFFERENT? OR ALTERED SLIGHTLY? EXPECIALLY FOR KIDS AT DIFFERENT LANGAUGE LEVELS.
      PERHAPS IF THE BOOK IS DIFFERNT? I GUESS I'M NOT UNDERSTANDING AND I APOLOGIZE
      BUT I'M THINKING THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO ASSESS  IF A STUEDENT UNDERSTANDS A BOOK? SO IS THE OBJECTIVE ABOUT WRITING A NEWPAPER ARTICLE OR WRITING TO INFORM/CRITQUE A BOOK THEY READ?
      THE ASSESSMENT DOESNT NOT HAVE TO BE THE SAME BUT TEH OBJECTIVES/GOALS ARE THE SAME THRU-OUT ADN YOU ARE CREATING ASSSESSMENTS TO SEE WHAT THY KNOW AND INFORM YOUR TEACHING.

      One more question. For Entry #4, I was trying to understand how anonymous I have to be about my students' information. I know I can't give anything more than a first name or mention only I collaborated with a 4-year university so as not to show what region my school is in, but with the ENL certificate the students' countries of origin are also important. For example, can I say what country my students are from or what language they speak? Also, I had a famous author and the Consul General come to my class. Can I mention their names and their country?
      FROM WAHT I RECALL.. I KEPT IT VERY GENERAL... IF THEY WERE A FAMOUS AUTHOR.. I WOULD PUT JUST THAT.. YOU CAN BE A LITTLE MORE SPECIFIC IF YOU HAVE THE ROOM LIKE 'WELL KNOWN AUTHER FROM THAILAND, HAS WRITTEN OVER 20 BOOKS ON...." NO NAMES.. OR THE CONSUL GENERAL FROM PERU..BUT NO LAST NAMES..
      BUT I DONT' SEE WHY YOU CAN'T MENTION COUNTIRES/LANGAUGES. THAT HELPS THEM SEE WHAT TYPE OF DIVERSITY YOU ARE WORKING WITH.
      HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE..GOTTA RUN!
      EMAIL MORE W/ SPECIFICS ON YOUR CLASSES GRADES/AGE LEVELS AND OBJECTIVES.. I CAN SEE IF I CAN HELP MORE  :)
      HAVE A GREAT DAY!

    • cowpiemommy
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2012
        For entry 1 you're trying to show student growth by comparing/analyzing the pre and follow-up assessments so I would think that what you have should be good. I would choose one of your classes instead of using a student from two different classes to make your writing easier since you have two very different things going on. Definitely choose two students who are at different levels or learn differently so that you can show your differentiation strategies.

        I also kept Entry 4 very general, but my accomplishments were outside of my ESL duties. I would do as Gelene suggested. Also, for your evidence did you have any publicity for the visits?