Resources

  • tania_chico
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2012
      I am currently writing and preparing for to test in June...

      I had looked at the Database and attachments earlier but did not download any, now they are gone! If you have ANY resources that would help me write or prepare for testing I would be so very grateful!

      Tania
      tchico74@...
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2012
      not sure why they keep disappearing???
      but here is waht i sent.. it is and example of the framework that i used to help w/ the assessments..
      there is email/s that go with it.. i'll try to find and resend them

      Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2012
        I'll email what I have. I thought it was more, but only a couple of prompts.

        --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, "tania_chico" <tania_chico@...> wrote:

        > I am currently writing and preparing for to test in June...
        >
        > I had looked at the Database and attachments earlier but did not download any, now they are gone! If you have ANY resources that would help me write or prepare for testing I would be so very grateful!
        >
        > Tania
        > tchico74@...

      • imeyrial
        Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2012

          Once you join that group, there are plenty of practice assessment center exercises as well as study guides in the File section (on the left of the page). Those exercises and study guides were extremely
          helpful for me when I took the assessment center test.

          Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2012
            below is the response i gave to someone...
            see it if helps.. it goes w/ the attachement i just sent...

            " I FOUND A SAMPLE OF WHAT I WROTE FOR THE FIRST ASSESSMENT QUESTION.. I TOOK OUT ALL MY JUNK B/C YOU NEED TO WORK IT FOR YOURSELF & ADD WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.  :). BUT IT IS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW I BROKE THE QUESTION DOWN AND FOCUSED ON WHAT I READ REPEATEDLY IN THE STANDARDS..I WANTED TO MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE THAT.... AND ALSO MAKES IT EASIER FOR THE ASSESSERS TO GRADE AND IT KEEPS ME TO THE POINT.. YOU WILL EVEN SEE MY MNEUMONIC DEVICE I MADE FOR MYSELF TO KEEP MYSELF ON TRACK AND MAKE SURE THAT I HIT/TALKED ABOUT CERTAIN THINGS..

             THE STANDARDS ARE THE KEY TO EVERYTHING.. IT TOOK ME AWHILE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT A STRATEGY WAS, VS A METHOD OR A TECHNIQUE.. WHAT I CALL A STRATEGY OTHERS CALLED A TECHNIQUE?? AND THEN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN INSTRUCTIONAL AND A LEARNING STRATEGY.... I HAD TO MAKE SURE I DIDN'T CONFUSE THEM... IN THE END I THINK I'M STILL NOT POSITIVE ON STRATEGY VS. TECHNIQUE..AND I INTERMIX THEM FREQUENTLY.. UGH..
            AND HONESTLY.. I THINK THAT IN THE STANDARDS AND THE QUYESTIONS.. THEY INTERMIX THEM TOO.. THAT IS WHY SO MANY OF US HAVE DIFFICULTLY TYRING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THEY MEAN.. THEY WILL USE DIFFERRNT TERMINOLOGY TO MEAN THE SAME THING.. ADN THAT CAN REALLY THROW YOU...

            BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS.. I THINK TOO ONCE YOUR REALLY KNOW/SPEAK TO THE STANDARDS IN YOUR WRITING/ENTRIES THEN IT WILL COME TO YOU BETTER IN A FEW MONTHS WHEN YOU START TO STUDY FOR THE ASSESSMENT.. SO NO WORRIES.. SEE MY ATTACHMENT AND MAKE SURE TO SAVE IT SO YOU CAN REFER TO IT LATER..

            I ALSO FOUND THIS IN MY EMAIL INFO THAT I SAVED FROM WHEN I WAS GOING THRU BOARDS A COUPLE YEARS AGO..
            IT IS TO SOMEONE ON THE YAHOO GROUP/BOARD NAMED 'TONYA' FROM SOMEONE NAMES 'KAREN IN NC' WHO USED TO SCORE THE ASSESSMENTS...
            "The best thing you can do for AC is practice. I know that sounds tedious, but half of the battle is knowing what is expected and being able to clear your head so that you can think. People panic about the 30 minute time limit. But, if you just type for 30 minutes, you'd be amazed at how much you could actually say. I have socred AC for quite a few years now, and I see sometimes two full pages for answers! I am amazed at it, but it really isn't that odd.

            Break the prompts down- most ask for 2-3 things. You have to be sure that you do not spend too much time on one area and run out of time in another. Some of what is asked for is very specific- Identify blah , blah blah. Do it- don't belabor it, just do it an dmove on to the rest." THAT IS WHAT I TRIED TO DO IN MY FRAMEWORK.. SET IT UP TO ANSWER ALL THE POINTS.. THEN HIT IT AND MOVE ON.. :)

            HOPE THIS HELPS!

            Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2012
              YES!!! That's where I had gotten all the practice materials! They are wonderful and helped me tremendously in the AC.
              Thanks for reminding us. I got to the email part and couldn't figure out how to attach :(

              Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2012
                SUPER TO KNOW! GOOD IDEA..
                THANKS FOR ADDING THAT..
                never enough resources...

                Once you join that group, there are plenty of practice assessment center exercises as well as study guides in the File section (on the left of the page). Those exercises and study guides were extremely
                helpful for me when I took the assessment center test.

                --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, "tania_chico" <tania_chico@...> wrote:

                > I am currently writing and preparing for to test in June...
                >
                > I had looked at the Database and attachments earlier but did not download any, now they are gone! If you have ANY resources that would help me write or prepare for testing I would be so very grateful!
                >
                > Tania
                > tchico74@...

              • Ingrid
                Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2012
                  In preparing for the assessment exercises, I took some
                  of the practice prompts (located in the National Board
                  site and NBPTS_ENL yahoo groups) and practiced
                  typing for 30 minutes. I found that when I actually
                  was taking the assessment exercises I was not as nervous and
                  I was so familiar with the prompts that I did not
                  need to read over them. I was able to jump into
                  typing my responses right away.  30 minutes goes go by fast
                  and I found I needed every bit of time! I think this
                  helped me do well on the assessment center because I passed
                  all the exercises.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                • candacehatcher@ymail.com
                  Message 9 of 12 , Apr 10 4:08 PM
                    please help....the file won't open

                    Message 10 of 12 , Apr 10 5:37 PM
                      what file won't open? the one i sent directly to you?
                      did you get that one?

                      > YES!!! That's where I had gotten all the practice materials! They are wonderful and helped me tremendously in the AC.
                      > Thanks for reminding us. I got to the email part and couldn't figure out how to attach :(
                      >

                      > --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, "imeyrial" <imeyrial@> wrote:

                      > > Once you join that group, there are plenty of practice assessment center exercises as well as study guides in the File section (on the left of the page). Those exercises and study guides were extremely
                      > > helpful for me when I took the assessment center test.
                      > >

                      > > --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, "tania_chico" <tania_chico@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I am currently writing and preparing for to test in June...
                      > > >
                      > > > I had looked at the Database and attachments earlier but did not download any, now they are gone! If you have ANY resources that would help me write or prepare for testing I would be so very grateful!
                      > > >
                      > > > Tania
                      > > > tchico74@

                    • polanka9867
                      Message 11 of 12 , May 25, 2012
                        I just found this group as I was looking for more ideas about how to study for the four domains assessment. I went to Files and it was empty! Could you send me the sample that you referenced below? I'm trying to make sure that I get a good score this time around. Also, if there is a book or type of book that would be useful, could you share that as well. I've been working through all my old textbooks, just to make sure that I am up on the content.

                        --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, Gelene Strecker <gelene@...> wrote:

                        > below is the response i gave to someone...
                        > see it if helps.. it goes w/ the attachement i just sent...
                        >

                        > " I FOUND A SAMPLE OF WHAT I WROTE FOR THE FIRST ASSESSMENT QUESTION.. I TOOK OUT ALL MY JUNK B/C YOU NEED TO WORK IT FOR YOURSELF & ADD WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.  :). BUT IT IS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW I BROKE THE QUESTION DOWN AND FOCUSED ON WHAT I READ REPEATEDLY IN THE STANDARDS..I WANTED TO MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE THAT.... AND ALSO MAKES IT EASIER FOR THE ASSESSERS TO GRADE AND IT KEEPS ME TO THE POINT.. YOU WILL EVEN SEE MY MNEUMONIC DEVICE I MADE FOR MYSELF TO KEEP MYSELF ON TRACK AND MAKE SURE THAT I HIT/TALKED ABOUT CERTAIN THINGS..
                        >
                        >  THE STANDARDS ARE THE KEY TO EVERYTHING.. IT TOOK ME AWHILE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT A STRATEGY WAS, VS A METHOD OR A TECHNIQUE.. WHAT I CALL A STRATEGY OTHERS CALLED A TECHNIQUE?? AND THEN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN INSTRUCTIONAL AND A LEARNING STRATEGY.... I HAD TO MAKE SURE I DIDN'T CONFUSE THEM... IN THE END I THINK I'M STILL NOT POSITIVE ON STRATEGY VS. TECHNIQUE..AND I INTERMIX THEM FREQUENTLY.. UGH..
                        > AND HONESTLY.. I THINK THAT IN THE STANDARDS AND THE QUYESTIONS.. THEY INTERMIX THEM TOO.. THAT IS WHY SO MANY OF US HAVE DIFFICULTLY TYRING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THEY MEAN.. THEY WILL USE DIFFERRNT TERMINOLOGY TO MEAN THE SAME THING.. ADN THAT CAN REALLY THROW YOU...
                        >
                        > BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS.. I THINK TOO ONCE YOUR REALLY KNOW/SPEAK TO THE STANDARDS IN YOUR WRITING/ENTRIES THEN IT WILL COME TO YOU BETTER IN A FEW MONTHS WHEN YOU START TO STUDY FOR THE ASSESSMENT.. SO NO WORRIES.. SEE MY ATTACHMENT AND MAKE SURE TO SAVE IT SO YOU CAN REFER TO IT LATER..
                        >

                        > I ALSO FOUND THIS IN MY EMAIL INFO THAT I SAVED FROM WHEN I WAS GOING THRU BOARDS A COUPLE YEARS AGO..
                        > IT IS TO SOMEONE ON THE YAHOO GROUP/BOARD NAMED 'TONYA' FROM SOMEONE NAMES 'KAREN IN NC' WHO USED TO SCORE THE ASSESSMENTS..."The best thing you can do for AC is practice. I know that sounds tedious, but half of the battle is knowing what is expected and being able to clear your head so that you can think. People panic about the 30 minute time limit. But, if you just type for 30 minutes, you'd be amazed at how much you could actually say. I have socred AC for quite a few years now, and I see sometimes two full pages for answers! I am amazed at it, but it really isn't that odd.
                        >
                        > Break the prompts down- most ask for 2-3 things. You have to be sure that you do not spend too much time on one area and run out of time in another. Some of what is asked for is very specific- Identify blah , blah blah. Do it- don't belabor it, just do it an dmove on to the rest." THAT IS WHAT I TRIED TO DO IN MY FRAMEWORK.. SET IT UP TO ANSWER ALL THE POINTS.. THEN HIT IT AND MOVE ON.. :)
                        >
                        > HOPE THIS HELPS!

                      • lynnpape
                        Message 12 of 12 , May 26, 2012
                          There are 2 groups. Try nbpts_enl