Where can I find information about "process goals"?

  • nellrb
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2009
      Hi Fellow NBCT ENL candidates:

      I am writing up my first portfolio entry and I am trying to determine my language goals, content goals, and process goals for my unit plan.

      I am a little fuzzy on the process goals. Does this refer to our use of strategies to teach reading, writing, listening and speaking?
      Does this refer to metacognitive goals? Does this refer to critical thinking skills?

      thanks for any help you can provide - Nell
    • Norma Gutierrez
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 24, 2009
        Hi Nell,

        I discussed this with my study group and a couple of NBCTs, and everyone basically said that process goals have to do with the strategies you use to get the students from Point A to Point B.  As you know, one of the standards is knowledge of our students.  Our students have difficulties with certain concepts, and we often know ahead of time that they're going to have a hard time with them.  As a result, we use a strategy (or a process) to help them understand the concepts.  Whether its having them use a graphic organizer to organize their thinking, or actually teaching them steps in a process (such as the writing process), what we're teaching them is more than for the test... it's a way of thinking that they can walk away with and use in another class at a later time.  In knowing our students, how they think and their defficiencies, we can justify why we chose to teach a concept through a certain process.

        Hope this helps.
        Norma

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2009
          Dear Norma:  Thanks so much that is very helpful!!    Nell

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 25, 2009
            Glad I could help :)