Re: [NBTC-ENL] Entry 2

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 22, 2011
      hi there!..

      i'm on my way out the door.. but i'll toss something at ya quick so you're not hanging.. :)

      see a previous email where i put an attachment i put on there where i brought down the standards for each entry and i rewrote the wording so it was easier to study and figure out what you need to do.. let me know if it isn't there and i'll reattach it..

      but basically your latter answer is right.. you wanna show on the video is them learning something 'new'.. & of coursec your kids engaged and you faciliating gtheir learning..

      IF memory serves.. i would love to hear what anyone else has to say.....
      is that it doesn't have to be the start of a totally new unit... it can be soemthing you ADD/EXPAND to a lesson/unit???
      for example if you already taught the background on plants their parts & what they need to grow.... but now you add to that knowledge base by teaching about
      the plant cycle or photosynthesis/how plants make their own food or how we use plants as food or what part of the plant we eat, etc..
      you are teachig them something new.. new idea or concept based on some back ground they have they you already taought themn..
      but it can be within a unit you are already doing..i would think nbtc would wanna ssee the connetions you are making between evetythign you do anyway..
      and not that the students are learing something cold for the first time that they have never seen or heard before until you were in their life.. if that makes sense..
      oh i hope it does..
      cuz i have to run.. eamil back if you need more :)

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 26, 2011
        I'm also planning Entry 2 during this winter vacation for my high school ESL classes. In most of the other middle/high school level content areas for National Boards, they want a whole class discussion, but the wording for the ENL seems like they want to see more of the teacher presentation and scaffolding of a new concept.

        I understand it does not have to be in the beginning of the unit, but I do not know how to teach something new, show my scaffolded presentation, and have a whole-class discussion about the topic in 15 minutes.

        Any ideas? Thank you so much.

        --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, Gelene Strecker <gelene@...> wrote:

        > hi there!..
        >
        > i'm on my way out the door.. but i'll toss something at ya quick so you're not hanging.. :)
        >
        > see a previous email where i put an attachment i put on there where i brought down the standards for each entry and i rewrote the wording so it was easier to study and figure out what you need to do.. let me know if it isn't there and i'll reattach it..
        >
        > but basically your latter answer is right.. you wanna show on the video is them learning something 'new'.. & of coursec your kids engaged and you faciliating gtheir learning..
        >
        > IF memory serves.. i would love to hear what anyone else has to say.....
        > is that it doesn't have to be the start of a totally new unit... it can be soemthing you ADD/EXPAND to a lesson/unit???
        > for example if you already taught the background on plants their parts & what they need to grow.... but now you add to that knowledge base by teaching about
        > the plant cycle or photosynthesis/how plants make their own food or how we use plants as food or what part of the plant we eat, etc..
        > you are teachig them something new.. new idea or concept based on some back ground they have they you already taought themn..
        > but it can be within a unit you are already doing..i would think nbtc would wanna ssee the connetions you are making between evetythign you do anyway..
        > and not that the students are learing something cold for the first time that they have never seen or heard before until you were in their life.. if that makes sense..
        > oh i hope it does..
        > cuz i have to run.. eamil back if you need more :)
        >

        > ________________________________

      • lynnpape
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 27, 2011
          I actually did really well on entry 2. What I did was start my video after my "attention catcher" then do a Model, Pairs, Individual lesson format. I made it through the model (with lots of student interaction, pointing out misconceptions) and about 45 secs of the pairs and somewhere in the entry I think I mentioned that after the students did individual for homework. The key was lots of interaction and catching a topic that would have a lot of misconceptions. I also explained why students would have misconceptions based on their cultural backgrounds.

          Lynn

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 27, 2011
            good info...
            gosh... i did mine on elementary.. but i'm a 'recovering' high school ESL history teacher ;-)
            anyway.. what about thinking about it like a mini-lesson on a particular topic where you know there are some misconceptions/misunderstandings
            so it isnt' some HUGE topic or theme.. but a smaller one w/in another topic/them/skill set/objective?? not sure how you run your ship...
            OR where you intro something but get a discussion going based on their background knowledge??? NBCT standards mention connecting and building
            bkground and scheme, etc...you could really use the op to clear up misconceptions/misunderstandings, show interaction and how you scafold info while intro'g a new topic..
            and how you make them have 'ahh ha' moments.. and impact their learning.. etc.. change neural pathways, etc.. i can see lots of standards buzz words going in here :)

            gotta run..

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2012
              Thank you so much for the clear explanations!

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 26 5:12 PM
                hello..
                anyone out there?? does this even work anymore?
              • Monica Farris
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 27 6:15 AM

                  I’m still here-

                  Monica

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 27 9:56 AM
                    oh goodie!!
                    i thought yahoo closed up the groups...
                    i don't have any questions.. i just thought that they were disbanned...
                    i must have totally missed something.. got an email a long time ago..
                    but put it out of my mind... :-)

                    thx for responding!g

                    anyone out there?? does this even work anymore?

                    believed to be clean.

                  • cowpiemommy
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 29 7:17 AM
                      I'm still here, too!

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 30 7:21 AM
                        super d duper!
                        i thought they shut the yahoo groups down?
                        good to know!
                        yea!

                        > i don't have any questions.. i just thought that they were disbanned...
                        > i must have totally missed something.. got an email a long time ago..
                        > but put it out of my mind... :-)
                        >
                        > thx for responding!g
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Tamar
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 25, 2013
                          Hey folks - I am working on a retake for Entry 2 (high school). Any advice from those who did well on this would be most welcome. My scores on all other entries were high & this one bombed. The feedback I got was in no way helpful. So far I have 1 possible video clip to use that includes- clear language/content objectives, I model, students practice in groups + paper evidence of individual understanding in an exit task. Any words of great wisdom for me??
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
                            hi!

                            sorry i didn't email back sooner.. was going thru my spam to ck on an email for a trip.. and there you were!!
                            i'm so glad i found you... i would hate not to have tried to help...

                            i'll have to look at entry 2 and see what/how i did.. mine was for wee ones.. so it might have been different from yours..
                            can you tell me more about your entry? perhaps you can cut/paste the main questions/standards so i have a better idea?

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 29, 2013
                              Hi there!
                              I scored okay on the scaffolding one, but mine was for elementary students as well.
                              In my video, I had the students explaining a life cycle orally with labeled picture support, then they had
                              to move into the writing portion, still using the labeled picture support. I had one student whom I
                              needed to modify heavily for, so he dictated a sentence to me and I wrote each word on a
                              mini sticky note which he had to manipulate to form the sentence and then copy  it onto a
                              graphic organizer.

                              I think if you have clear objectives and demonstrate that the students are receiving a great deal of
                              support at the beginning and then you are taking that away gradually so they can do it on their own,
                              you have done what they are asking for.  Then, it's just a matter of explaining it well enough to
                              convince them :-)

                              Good luck to you!  I am going to retake the Interaction one since I had a terrible video situation
                              last time that there was no recovering from....

                              Revae
                            • Revae Bostwick
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 22, 2013
                                Hello, all!
                                I was wondering if anyone out there would be able to offer me some advice.....
                                I know the deadline is quickly approaching, but I am working on 3 different interaction papers and only need to submit 1, so I would like someone's opinion as to which one to turn in. None of the lessons are completely wonderful, which is why I am having such a hard time choosing amongst them.

                                (1) Shows students exchanging in oral discourse when composing a fairy tale together, but I do not have them using any technology. Students are engaged but there is not much evidence of lesson preparation because they are only using a graphic organizer.

                                (2) Shows students using technology as a team to play a game in which they have to select the correct verb and then they use that information to help them write about life cycle stages. During the game there is some discourse and cheering one another on to do well on the questions. Students are engaged.

                                (3) Shows students using technology to play the same game as above, but not much discourse takes place. Students use the information gained in the game to edit the fairy tale in #1. Students are not as engaged, but there is more evidence of my lesson preparation and strategy usage.

                                I know it is difficult to make a judgment based on the limited information I can give you, but if you could tell me whether you think it is better to show the interaction or to show the preparation/strategies, that would be helpful.  Thank you!

                                Sincerely,
                                Revae
                              • Revae Bostwick

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 22, 2013
                                    hi Revae!

                                    if i had to guess going on what is here.. i would say 2 or 3...

                                    in the end.. it really depends on how you write to it..
                                    gotta keep in mind that it is a whole different form of writing.. very simple/direct sentences..
                                    w/ this type of mindset.. ... "I chose to do this.... because of this...... and this was the result/evidence of impact on students
                                    they way i look at it.. is about 60% is upfront prep, 10% is actual video/execution of what you planned out..
                                    and the last 30% is the writing...

                                    also know that just b/c the kids don't use sit at a laptop or smart board in the lesson on tape doesn't mean that tech wasn't used..
                                    ie. was their music in the background? was the info/handouts using info from websites? were pictures/fotos used from internet?
                                    did they watch a 5min video clip right before- you woudn't want to video tape kids watching a video clip..BUT you could write to it & how doing so set up the lesson the reviewers were about to see on you video..and how it ties in ..
                                    tech could also be kids type something up after the lesson? or will they take a foto of it? or use their cellphones or something..
                                    tech can be considered many different things... not just kids on laptop or smart board...

                                    If i recall correctly.. entry 2 is ALLL about scaffolding??? so keep that in mind as to WHY you did all that you did in creating and implementing the lessson...

                                    when is it due?
                                    have you started to write to it yet??
                                    hope some of this made sense..
                                    good luck!

                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 22, 2013
                                      OH.... it is entry 3... that makes more sense. b/c your examples sounded like they were all about groups...

                                      remember the group part/entry #3 is TWO fold.. kids working together...
                                      AND YOU FACILLATING the groups..

                                      so i'm changing my tune a little.. in rereading your descriptions... which one where you going to groups and helping
                                      them to understsand the material?
                                      IF they kids are doing all the 'playing' and interacting w/ the computer game,,,, then there migt not be much to show that you are facillating..
                                      NOW facillating can be what you do ahead of time to set it up..
                                      but the way i see it is ... it is more about about you gettint the kids to understand...
                                      ie.. asking questions starting w/ concrete and moving to abstract.... trying to see what they know to make connections,
                                      build background knowledge.... figuring out how to help guide them in the right direction w/out telling them the answers...

                                      hope that makes sense..
                                      so if your choice #1 w/ graphic organizer has kids talking and you walking around helping them organize their ideas, etc..
                                      then maybe that is the one to use??
                                      i'm sorry.. now i probably totally got you confused!

                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 25, 2013
                                        Yes, I am confused ^_^
                                        However, your replies were very helpful! Thank you!

                                        I agree that it is better to show through what students are learning that I planned for their interaction and scaffolded the

                                        material, even if I didn't execute it properly. I can reflect on what didn't go as planned in my writing and make suggestions for

                                        improvement.

                                        It is due on the 31st of this month and it is all electronic submission now. I have started writing for the entry, but I have written

                                        a little about all 3 videos that I had on hand for this entry, but I will continue with one of the last 2 only this weekend so

                                        I can actually completely finish one of them :-)

                                        Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

                                        Revae