new candidate...working now on entries to complete by march

  • jaime
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2011
      hello
      i am new to the group. i am working now on the 4 entries for the ENL national board certification. i would really appreciate advice and support from the group.
      where are others in this journey?

      at the moment, i am trying to choose which video to use.
      hope to hear more from people over time.
      thanks.
      jaime
    • Rebecca
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
        Hi,
        I worked on NBPTS last school year. I have to retake some sections this year. I recommend really reading all of the standards for the entries before you tape and write your paper. Planning will assist you in being able to answer the questions. I think having 3 tapes should be good enough to find one that you'd like to use. But, I can't stress planning enough. I agree with previous responses about showing the students learning.
        Rebecca

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
          yes yes yes to knowing the standards well.. and focusing on the standards for EACH of the entries as they differ...
          and really thinking about them/using them to PLAN your lessons is a big help.. AND when you write too!
          can even use the same language they use in the standards! it isn't a crime... you want to make it as EASY as possible
          for the evaluators to say "check! they got that one!"

          i'm sure the standards are the same as when i went thru.. i achieved 2 yrs ago..
          and i'm pretty sure i was working off of the revised set..
          anyway..i attached a document that i made to help me..

          you know how the standards are all in paragraph form and seemingly repeat themselves at times and stuff..
          WELL.. i when thru them w/ a fine tooth comb and put it ALL in a bulleted LIST..
          you might also use it too? i used it to ck off AND cross ck to make sure i was doing the right thing for the right entry. etc..
          i printed out each and kept referring back to each for each entry..
          note at the top of each i say which of the entries that standard went with ie. Standard 1- Entry 1,2,3
          etc..

          maybe this can help you focus and MAKE SURE TO incorporate exactly what they are looking for in each entry
          hope it helps.. email w/ questions... and also hwelp you make video determinations, etc..
          i want to apologize for having type-0s in it.. i hope it makes sense to you w/ my abbreviations too..
          didn't plan to anyone else reading it..haahaa

          OH.. and if you print it out. .have paper.. it is 24 pages long.. yes.. it might have been crazy of me to put in that much time and effort..
          but i think it helped.. b/c i achieved the first time around...
          good luck and let me know if you  have quesitons...

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
          DUH.. sorry about that.. here is the attachment!

          I worked on NBPTS last school year. I have to retake some sections this year. I recommend really reading all of the standards for the entries before you tape and write your paper. Planning will assist you in being able to answer the questions. I think having 3 tapes should be good enough to find one that you'd like to use. But, I can't stress planning enough. I agree with previous responses about showing the students learning.
          Rebecca

          --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, "jaime" <jaimestaraitis@...> wrote:

          > hello
          > i am new to the group. i am working now on the 4 entries for the ENL national board certification. i would really appreciate advice and support from the group.
          > where are others in this journey?
          >
          > at the moment, i am trying to choose which video to use.
          > hope to hear more from people over time.
          > thanks.
          > jaime

        • dthomas4201
          Message 5 of 7 , Feb 12, 2012
            I'm working on the portfolio entries, too. I've only done Entry 1 and 3. Not sure I can get 2 & 4 done in 7 weeks. Ahhhhhh!

            Message 6 of 7 , Feb 12, 2012
              wow... that is a time crunch.. but keep up your efforts!! you are almost there...

              i'm not sure if i'm giving the right advice.. or what your plan of attack is.. be interested in hearing from others...

              but i would consider selecting one putting more emphasis on the one that you feel better about doing or you
              think you could do a better job at 'passing/achieving'.  that way IF you have to go back and you can be planning
              all year on what/how to do the other one??
              #4 is very different from the others and isn't worth as many points..
              so for example.. if you feel better about doing the video and speaking to it like you just did in # 3,
               then go for that.. and put together something for the #4 just to get some points..
              you never know.. it may be 'good enough' in the end.. but if not
              then think/collect info during the course of next year so that when you redo that part it will be the best ever??
              also keep in mind that i have known many, self included' that bombed on the entries completely and still passed..
              i knew one person who got 1.8 on one of the entries but rocked another so she still passed..
              i got a 2.2 on one and still passed b/c i rocked another.. you just never know...

              spring break is around the corner here.. ours is in march? maybe yours is too and you can
              crank/finalize some of it then??

              good luck.. and of course email  any time! we are on your side! and ready to support however we can..

              I'm working on the portfolio entries, too. I've only done Entry 1 and 3. Not sure I can get 2 & 4 done in 7 weeks. Ahhhhhh!

              --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, "jaime" <jaimestaraitis@...> wrote:

              > hello
              > i am new to the group. i am working now on the 4 entries for the ENL national board certification. i would really appreciate advice and support from the group.
              > where are others in this journey?
              >
              > at the moment, i am trying to choose which video to use.
              > hope to hear more from people over time.
              > thanks.
              > jaime

            • cowpiemommy
              Message 7 of 7 , Feb 12, 2012
                If you've done entry 3, entry 2 will be similar. You can do it! Enrty 4 is just different, but not any harder - more collection of data/evidence of your work though. On another board it was suggested to work on 2 or 3 bullets each evening to help make it to the crunch time. Use your spring break and any snow days (if you have those). Also don't forget to allow time for all of the contextual evidence documents. Make sure you re-read all of the bullets and make sure you addressed each one. Good luck! You can do it!