Re: Books to Study for Assessments

  • mfarris2010
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 6, 2013
      Do you still have these flashcards? The link does not work

      --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, "jeskruse10" <jeskruse10@...> wrote:

      > I am using the Academic success for ELL by Patricia Richard-Amato for exercises #4 and #5. I also got flashcards to help me with #6 from http://www.flashcardsecrets.com/samples/languagelinguisticsandliteracy1.htm
      >
      > Can you email me example questions and study guides from other group members because I can't find them.
      >
      > thanks so much!
      > Jes
      >
      > --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, "enlhighschoolapplicant" <senoradasilva@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books they used when studying for the assessments. I have downloaded the example questions and study guides from the other yahoo group, and I have the Making Content Comprehensible for Language Learners:SIOP textbook.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Nicole

    • Io Ma
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 6, 2013
        I have just read about them. Where are the files? even with retired exercises. i have the test in 3 days
        Jo

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 6, 2013
          perhaps Nicole can resend the links to info & flash cards the other yahoo group??
          we don't have them that i know of in this yahoo group....
          as far as the textbook on SIOP.. that was one of my major sources for NBCT... entries & all!

          what i do have are frameworks that i used to help me remember what to do for each exercise & help me brain
          storm what types of universal strategies i use w/ my students that could be applicable in the scenarios...
          i've talked about them many times in this group and some have found them helpful.. let me know if you want them..

          if you are doing it is a few days.. not sure if the info/frameworks will have time to sink in.. but might be helpful?
          depends on how you study/prep..everyone is different w/ what works best for them... :-)

          of course if you have any questions please feel free to ask!

          i'm thinking of EVERYONE!!! GOOD LUCK!!! Whoo Hoo! it is almost over!!!

          --- In mailto:NBTC-ENL%40yahoogroups.com, "jeskruse10" <jeskruse10@...> wrote:

          > I am using the Academic success for ELL by Patricia Richard-Amato for exercises #4 and #5. I also got flashcards to help me with #6 from http://www.flashcardsecrets.com/samples/languagelinguisticsandliteracy1.htm
          >
          > Can you email me example questions and study guides from other group members because I can't find them.
          >
          > thanks so much!
          > Jes
          >
          > --- In mailto:NBTC-ENL%40yahoogroups.com, "enlhighschoolapplicant" <senoradasilva@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books they used when studying for the assessments. I have downloaded the example questions and study guides from the other yahoo group, and I have the Making Content Comprehensible for Language Learners:SIOP textbook.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Nicole

        • mfarris2010
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 6, 2013
            I'm testing two weeks from today and would really like to study the frameworks you're talking about.

            Thank you,

            Monica

            --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, Gelene Strecker <gelene@...> wrote:

            > perhaps Nicole can resend the links to info & flash cards the other yahoo group??
            > we don't have them that i know of in this yahoo group....
            > as far as the textbook on SIOP.. that was one of my major sources for NBCT... entries & all!
            >
            > what i do have are frameworks that i used to help me remember what to do for each exercise & help me brain
            > storm what types of universal strategies i use w/ my students that could be applicable in the scenarios...
            > i've talked about them many times in this group and some have found them helpful.. let me know if you want them..
            >
            > if you are doing it is a few days.. not sure if the info/frameworks will have time to sink in.. but might be helpful?
            > depends on how you study/prep..everyone is different w/ what works best for them... :-)
            >
            > of course if you have any questions please feel free to ask!
            >
            > i'm thinking of EVERYONE!!! GOOD LUCK!!! Whoo Hoo! it is almost over!!!
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Io Ma
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 7, 2013
              g, please send me the frameworks to see how you thought of it b/c i do not know what they really want
              thanks, Jo

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 7, 2013
                if you want the frameworks email me directly.. and ill send them to you..
                :-)
                gelene (at) rocketmail (dot) com

                g, please send me the frameworks to see how you thought of it b/c i do not know what they really want
                thanks, Jo

                Do you still have these flashcards? The link does not work
                --- In mailto:NBTC-ENL%40yahoogroups.com, "jeskruse10" <jeskruse10@...> wrote: > > I am using the Academic success for ELL by Patricia Richard-Amato for exercises #4 and #5. I also got flashcards to help me with #6 from http://www.flashcardsecrets.com/samples/languagelinguisticsandliteracy1.htm > > Can you email me example questions and study guides from other group members because I can't find them. > > thanks so much! > Jes > > --- In mailto:NBTC-ENL%40yahoogroups.com, "enlhighschoolapplicant" <senoradasilva@> wrote: > > > > Hi, > > > > I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books they used when studying for the assessments. I have downloaded the example questions and study guides from the other yahoo group, and I have the Making Content Comprehensible for Language Learners:SIOP textbook. > > > > Thanks, > > Nicole > > >
              • Io Ma

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 14, 2013
                    one giant paragraph.. and a period whenever my finger fell on that key :-)
                    but you can do any of them..

[...]

                  • Monica Farris
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 14, 2013
                      Do you have 30 mins from the time you start writing or 30 mins from the time you read the prompt?

                      Mónica Farris
                      "Trust in the Lord with all your heart" Prov. 3:5

                      On Jun 14, 2013, at 1:29 PM, "Gelene Strecker" <gelene@...> wrote:

                      one giant paragraph.. and a period whenever my finger fell on that key :-)
                      but you can do any of them..

                      Gelene, did you use bullets or arrows or complete sentences? J

                      Do you still have these flashcards? The link does not work --- In mailto:NBTC-ENL%40yahoogroups.com, "jeskruse10" <jeskruse10@...> wrote: > > I am using the Academic success for ELL by Patricia Richard-Amato for exercises #4 and #5. I also got flashcards to help me with #6 from http://www.flashcardsecrets.com/samples/languagelinguisticsandliteracy1.htm > > Can you email me example questions and study guides from other group members because I can't find them. > > thanks so much! > Jes > > --- In mailto:NBTC-ENL%40yahoogroups.com, "enlhighschoolapplicant" <senoradasilva@> wrote: > > > > Hi, > > > > I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books they used when studying for the assessments. I have downloaded the example questions and study guides from the other yahoo group, and I have the Making Content Comprehensible for Language Learners:SIOP textbook. > > > > Thanks, > > Nicole > > >

                      believed to be clean.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 14, 2013
                        30mins.. starts when they give you the prompts.. it is all automated on computer. or it was.
                        prompt shows up... 30mins on clock start to count.. and you read and type :-)

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 1, 2016
                          Hello Gelene,

                          Do you still have the frameworks for studying that you were discussing?  They would be helpful for studying.  I am taking the test in 6 weeks.

                          Thank you,
                          Mary Ellen
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 1, 2016
                          sure!!! only thing is that things are changing.. so you have to ck my old questions w/ the new ones..

                          even if they are different.. they might help you figure out how to make your own frames.. well you would have to do that anyway
                          w/ my info.. as you wanna use your own ideas that u use all the time and can speak to w/ ease..

                          Basically what i did was come up w/ ideas/strategies that i do ALLLL the time.. that way you can easily talk to them..
                          then i make sure to incorp ALLL/AS MANY of the standards as possible.. i tk those are in green or yellow on attachments..
                          1- answer questions specifically/don't talk about extra stuff.. keep ONLY to question
                          2- use strategies that you use all the time and can EASILY andd quickly list of why they are great for kids
                          3- make a mneumonic device.. i tk that is on one of these.. so that you can remember to HIT as many key words from the standards as possible
                          when providing explanation/rationale/implication think to these 12 BBBCCCCMMFZL1…
                          build schema and self regulation/metacog
                          build background/framework
                          big/broad picture
                          connect to prior knowledge
                          contextualizes
                          comprehensible input/can negotiate meaning
                          crosses content/domains
                          choice/ownership
                          make it meaning and relevant
                          multiple ops for practice/reinforcement using structure/scaffold to make info move from declarative to automatic
                          feedback
                          zone of PD. To keep expectations high, attainable and inform planning
                          L1
                          There might be MORE to add now.. but this is what i useddd to help me ck to make sure that i covered as much as possible..

                          hope that will make sense.. as you see the attachment!
                          fyi.. i passed all of them using the frameworks.. and i studied often.. BUT i didn't do so well on the terms assessment! funny,.. thougth that one woudl be easier.. not so much for me i guess

                          email w/ questions and good luck! keep studying!! don't let up now! you are almost there!!!!
                          :-D
                          ~g