Re: Entry 2

  • Revae Bostwick
    Message 1 of 19 , May 22, 2013
      Hello, all!
      I was wondering if anyone out there would be able to offer me some advice.....
      I know the deadline is quickly approaching, but I am working on 3 different interaction papers and only need to submit 1, so I would like someone's opinion as to which one to turn in. None of the lessons are completely wonderful, which is why I am having such a hard time choosing amongst them.

      (1) Shows students exchanging in oral discourse when composing a fairy tale together, but I do not have them using any technology. Students are engaged but there is not much evidence of lesson preparation because they are only using a graphic organizer.

      (2) Shows students using technology as a team to play a game in which they have to select the correct verb and then they use that information to help them write about life cycle stages. During the game there is some discourse and cheering one another on to do well on the questions. Students are engaged.

      (3) Shows students using technology to play the same game as above, but not much discourse takes place. Students use the information gained in the game to edit the fairy tale in #1. Students are not as engaged, but there is more evidence of my lesson preparation and strategy usage.

      I know it is difficult to make a judgment based on the limited information I can give you, but if you could tell me whether you think it is better to show the interaction or to show the preparation/strategies, that would be helpful.  Thank you!

      Sincerely,
      Revae
    • Revae Bostwick

        Message 3 of 19 , May 22, 2013
          hi Revae!

          if i had to guess going on what is here.. i would say 2 or 3...

          in the end.. it really depends on how you write to it..
          gotta keep in mind that it is a whole different form of writing.. very simple/direct sentences..
          w/ this type of mindset.. ... "I chose to do this.... because of this...... and this was the result/evidence of impact on students
          they way i look at it.. is about 60% is upfront prep, 10% is actual video/execution of what you planned out..
          and the last 30% is the writing...

          also know that just b/c the kids don't use sit at a laptop or smart board in the lesson on tape doesn't mean that tech wasn't used..
          ie. was their music in the background? was the info/handouts using info from websites? were pictures/fotos used from internet?
          did they watch a 5min video clip right before- you woudn't want to video tape kids watching a video clip..BUT you could write to it & how doing so set up the lesson the reviewers were about to see on you video..and how it ties in ..
          tech could also be kids type something up after the lesson? or will they take a foto of it? or use their cellphones or something..
          tech can be considered many different things... not just kids on laptop or smart board...

          If i recall correctly.. entry 2 is ALLL about scaffolding??? so keep that in mind as to WHY you did all that you did in creating and implementing the lessson...

          when is it due?
          have you started to write to it yet??
          hope some of this made sense..
          good luck!

          Message 4 of 19 , May 22, 2013
            OH.... it is entry 3... that makes more sense. b/c your examples sounded like they were all about groups...

            remember the group part/entry #3 is TWO fold.. kids working together...
            AND YOU FACILLATING the groups..

            so i'm changing my tune a little.. in rereading your descriptions... which one where you going to groups and helping
            them to understsand the material?
            IF they kids are doing all the 'playing' and interacting w/ the computer game,,,, then there migt not be much to show that you are facillating..
            NOW facillating can be what you do ahead of time to set it up..
            but the way i see it is ... it is more about about you gettint the kids to understand...
            ie.. asking questions starting w/ concrete and moving to abstract.... trying to see what they know to make connections,
            build background knowledge.... figuring out how to help guide them in the right direction w/out telling them the answers...

            hope that makes sense..
            so if your choice #1 w/ graphic organizer has kids talking and you walking around helping them organize their ideas, etc..
            then maybe that is the one to use??
            i'm sorry.. now i probably totally got you confused!

            Message 5 of 19 , May 25, 2013
              Yes, I am confused ^_^
              However, your replies were very helpful! Thank you!

              I agree that it is better to show through what students are learning that I planned for their interaction and scaffolded the

              material, even if I didn't execute it properly. I can reflect on what didn't go as planned in my writing and make suggestions for

              improvement.

              It is due on the 31st of this month and it is all electronic submission now. I have started writing for the entry, but I have written

              a little about all 3 videos that I had on hand for this entry, but I will continue with one of the last 2 only this weekend so

              I can actually completely finish one of them :-)

              Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

              Revae