RE: [NBTC-ENL] Re: Entry 2

  • Monica Farris
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 27, 2012

      I’m still here-

      Monica

      From: NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com [mailto:NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gelene Strecker
      Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:12 PM
      To: NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [NBTC-ENL] Re: Entry 2

      hello..

      anyone out there?? does this even work anymore?

      believed to be clean.

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 27, 2012
        oh goodie!!
        i thought yahoo closed up the groups...
        i don't have any questions.. i just thought that they were disbanned...
        i must have totally missed something.. got an email a long time ago..
        but put it out of my mind... :-)

        thx for responding!g

        anyone out there?? does this even work anymore?

        believed to be clean.

      • cowpiemommy
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 29, 2012
          I'm still here, too!

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 30, 2012
            super d duper!
            i thought they shut the yahoo groups down?
            good to know!
            yea!

            > i don't have any questions.. i just thought that they were disbanned...
            > i must have totally missed something.. got an email a long time ago..
            > but put it out of my mind... :-)
            >
            > thx for responding!g
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Tamar
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 25, 2013
              Hey folks - I am working on a retake for Entry 2 (high school). Any advice from those who did well on this would be most welcome. My scores on all other entries were high & this one bombed. The feedback I got was in no way helpful. So far I have 1 possible video clip to use that includes- clear language/content objectives, I model, students practice in groups + paper evidence of individual understanding in an exit task. Any words of great wisdom for me??
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 26, 2013
                hi!

                sorry i didn't email back sooner.. was going thru my spam to ck on an email for a trip.. and there you were!!
                i'm so glad i found you... i would hate not to have tried to help...

                i'll have to look at entry 2 and see what/how i did.. mine was for wee ones.. so it might have been different from yours..
                can you tell me more about your entry? perhaps you can cut/paste the main questions/standards so i have a better idea?

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 29, 2013
                  Hi there!
                  I scored okay on the scaffolding one, but mine was for elementary students as well.
                  In my video, I had the students explaining a life cycle orally with labeled picture support, then they had
                  to move into the writing portion, still using the labeled picture support. I had one student whom I
                  needed to modify heavily for, so he dictated a sentence to me and I wrote each word on a
                  mini sticky note which he had to manipulate to form the sentence and then copy  it onto a
                  graphic organizer.

                  I think if you have clear objectives and demonstrate that the students are receiving a great deal of
                  support at the beginning and then you are taking that away gradually so they can do it on their own,
                  you have done what they are asking for.  Then, it's just a matter of explaining it well enough to
                  convince them :-)

                  Good luck to you!  I am going to retake the Interaction one since I had a terrible video situation
                  last time that there was no recovering from....

                  Revae
                • Revae Bostwick
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 22, 2013
                    Hello, all!
                    I was wondering if anyone out there would be able to offer me some advice.....
                    I know the deadline is quickly approaching, but I am working on 3 different interaction papers and only need to submit 1, so I would like someone's opinion as to which one to turn in. None of the lessons are completely wonderful, which is why I am having such a hard time choosing amongst them.

                    (1) Shows students exchanging in oral discourse when composing a fairy tale together, but I do not have them using any technology. Students are engaged but there is not much evidence of lesson preparation because they are only using a graphic organizer.

                    (2) Shows students using technology as a team to play a game in which they have to select the correct verb and then they use that information to help them write about life cycle stages. During the game there is some discourse and cheering one another on to do well on the questions. Students are engaged.

                    (3) Shows students using technology to play the same game as above, but not much discourse takes place. Students use the information gained in the game to edit the fairy tale in #1. Students are not as engaged, but there is more evidence of my lesson preparation and strategy usage.

                    I know it is difficult to make a judgment based on the limited information I can give you, but if you could tell me whether you think it is better to show the interaction or to show the preparation/strategies, that would be helpful.  Thank you!

                    Sincerely,
                    Revae
                  • Revae Bostwick

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 22, 2013
                        hi Revae!

                        if i had to guess going on what is here.. i would say 2 or 3...

                        in the end.. it really depends on how you write to it..
                        gotta keep in mind that it is a whole different form of writing.. very simple/direct sentences..
                        w/ this type of mindset.. ... "I chose to do this.... because of this...... and this was the result/evidence of impact on students
                        they way i look at it.. is about 60% is upfront prep, 10% is actual video/execution of what you planned out..
                        and the last 30% is the writing...

                        also know that just b/c the kids don't use sit at a laptop or smart board in the lesson on tape doesn't mean that tech wasn't used..
                        ie. was their music in the background? was the info/handouts using info from websites? were pictures/fotos used from internet?
                        did they watch a 5min video clip right before- you woudn't want to video tape kids watching a video clip..BUT you could write to it & how doing so set up the lesson the reviewers were about to see on you video..and how it ties in ..
                        tech could also be kids type something up after the lesson? or will they take a foto of it? or use their cellphones or something..
                        tech can be considered many different things... not just kids on laptop or smart board...

                        If i recall correctly.. entry 2 is ALLL about scaffolding??? so keep that in mind as to WHY you did all that you did in creating and implementing the lessson...

                        when is it due?
                        have you started to write to it yet??
                        hope some of this made sense..
                        good luck!

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 22, 2013
                          OH.... it is entry 3... that makes more sense. b/c your examples sounded like they were all about groups...

                          remember the group part/entry #3 is TWO fold.. kids working together...
                          AND YOU FACILLATING the groups..

                          so i'm changing my tune a little.. in rereading your descriptions... which one where you going to groups and helping
                          them to understsand the material?
                          IF they kids are doing all the 'playing' and interacting w/ the computer game,,,, then there migt not be much to show that you are facillating..
                          NOW facillating can be what you do ahead of time to set it up..
                          but the way i see it is ... it is more about about you gettint the kids to understand...
                          ie.. asking questions starting w/ concrete and moving to abstract.... trying to see what they know to make connections,
                          build background knowledge.... figuring out how to help guide them in the right direction w/out telling them the answers...

                          hope that makes sense..
                          so if your choice #1 w/ graphic organizer has kids talking and you walking around helping them organize their ideas, etc..
                          then maybe that is the one to use??
                          i'm sorry.. now i probably totally got you confused!

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 25, 2013
                            Yes, I am confused ^_^
                            However, your replies were very helpful! Thank you!

                            I agree that it is better to show through what students are learning that I planned for their interaction and scaffolded the

                            material, even if I didn't execute it properly. I can reflect on what didn't go as planned in my writing and make suggestions for

                            improvement.

                            It is due on the 31st of this month and it is all electronic submission now. I have started writing for the entry, but I have written

                            a little about all 3 videos that I had on hand for this entry, but I will continue with one of the last 2 only this weekend so

                            I can actually completely finish one of them :-)

                            Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

                            Revae