Re: [NBTC-ENL] Exercise 4 Academic Language

    Message 1 of 7 , May 16 8:21 AM

      "given concept, specific topic and given content...."
      i thought about what types of topics/content that spiral thru all grade levels.. could be anything..
      animals, weather, explorers, citizenship, write a letter, fiction/nonfiction, etc..
      if you teach various levels you kinda have a sense of what each grade does and what...
      ie. plants (K-parts of plants, 1st- plant cycle, etc...
      solar system (K-sun & 9 planets, 2nd- name planets, 3rd- moon & shadow, etc...

      i just thought about them..but didn't try to study anything in specific. b/c it is too vast..

      but when i got the question what i did was just tried to make sure that performance objective for the CONCEPT was approp for grade/age of student & connect it w/ language objective that was also appropriate for their grade level and language level.. etc..
      hope that helps?
      keep questions coming if you need to talk it out further/ more clarification.. :-)

      Message 2 of 7 , May 16 9:58 AM
        just read asst #4 characteristics & level 4 response again about evidence of a broad knowledge of concepts commen to ALL curric
        when looking at the characgtertics

        "accurate ID of 5 specific (not too broad) and distinct (different) topics to a given concept and content area"
        i think of working backwards..
        content                to concept                to topic
        social studies     cause & effect          various wars??
        not sure if that jogs or helps anything..

        Message 3 of 7 , May 16 6:00 PM
          As far as I understand it, the given concept and given topic refer to the scenario that the test prompt will include. So, they will give you a sample grade level and content area and you will come up with the objectives and strategies.

          Good luck!

          Message 4 of 7 , May 16 6:48 PM
            egggg-xactly!
            and the topics could be on

            As far as I understand it, the given concept and given topic refer to the scenario that the test prompt will include. So, they will give you a sample grade level and content area and you will come up with the objectives and strategies.

            Good luck!

            --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, "colterville" <colterville@...> wrote:

            > I'm trying to make sense of the following characteristic of a level 4 response to Exercise 4...
            >
            > "a complete and accurate description of two performance objectives that would support
            > students' academic language development as it relates to the given concept within a
            > specific topic from the given content area"
            >
            > I understand what performance objectives that support students' academic language development could be, but what would be some examples of given concept, specific topic and given content?
            >
            > Thanks!

          • Randy Bell
            Message 5 of 7 , May 17 3:25 PM
              thanks!  that's what i was hoping it meant!  i take the test on Saturday!

              As far as I understand it, the given concept and given topic refer to the scenario that the test prompt will include. So, they will give you a sample grade level and content area and you will come up with the objectives and strategies.

              Good luck!

              --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, "colterville" <colterville@...> wrote:

              > I'm trying to make sense of the following characteristic of a level 4 response to Exercise 4...
              >
              > "a complete and accurate description of two performance objectives that would support
              > students' academic language development as it relates to the given concept within a
              > specific topic from the given content area"
              >
              > I understand what performance objectives that support students' academic language development could be, but what would be some examples of given concept, specific topic and given content?
              >
              > Thanks!

            • Gelene
              Message 6 of 7 , May 17 5:00 PM
                Good luck. I'll b thinking of u all.  I know a lot of people r doing it saturday   So u will no be alone:-)

                Sent from my iPhone

                =