Exercise 4 Academic Language

  • colterville
    Message 1 of 7 , May 15, 2012
      I'm trying to make sense of the following characteristic of a level 4 response to Exercise 4...

      "a complete and accurate description of two performance objectives that would support
      students' academic language development as it relates to the given concept within a
      specific topic from the given content area"

      I understand what performance objectives that support students' academic language development could be, but what would be some examples of given concept, specific topic and given content?

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 7 , May 16, 2012

        "given concept, specific topic and given content...."
        i thought about what types of topics/content that spiral thru all grade levels.. could be anything..
        animals, weather, explorers, citizenship, write a letter, fiction/nonfiction, etc..
        if you teach various levels you kinda have a sense of what each grade does and what...
        ie. plants (K-parts of plants, 1st- plant cycle, etc...
        solar system (K-sun & 9 planets, 2nd- name planets, 3rd- moon & shadow, etc...

        i just thought about them..but didn't try to study anything in specific. b/c it is too vast..

        but when i got the question what i did was just tried to make sure that performance objective for the CONCEPT was approp for grade/age of student & connect it w/ language objective that was also appropriate for their grade level and language level.. etc..
        hope that helps?
        keep questions coming if you need to talk it out further/ more clarification.. :-)

        Message 3 of 7 , May 16, 2012
          just read asst #4 characteristics & level 4 response again about evidence of a broad knowledge of concepts commen to ALL curric
          when looking at the characgtertics

          "accurate ID of 5 specific (not too broad) and distinct (different) topics to a given concept and content area"
          i think of working backwards..
          content                to concept                to topic
          social studies     cause & effect          various wars??
          not sure if that jogs or helps anything..

          Message 4 of 7 , May 16, 2012
            As far as I understand it, the given concept and given topic refer to the scenario that the test prompt will include. So, they will give you a sample grade level and content area and you will come up with the objectives and strategies.

            Good luck!

            Message 5 of 7 , May 16, 2012
              egggg-xactly!
              and the topics could be on

              As far as I understand it, the given concept and given topic refer to the scenario that the test prompt will include. So, they will give you a sample grade level and content area and you will come up with the objectives and strategies.

              Good luck!

              --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, "colterville" <colterville@...> wrote:

              > I'm trying to make sense of the following characteristic of a level 4 response to Exercise 4...
              >
              > "a complete and accurate description of two performance objectives that would support
              > students' academic language development as it relates to the given concept within a
              > specific topic from the given content area"
              >
              > I understand what performance objectives that support students' academic language development could be, but what would be some examples of given concept, specific topic and given content?
              >
              > Thanks!

            • Randy Bell
              Message 6 of 7 , May 17, 2012
                thanks!  that's what i was hoping it meant!  i take the test on Saturday!

                As far as I understand it, the given concept and given topic refer to the scenario that the test prompt will include. So, they will give you a sample grade level and content area and you will come up with the objectives and strategies.

                Good luck!

                --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, "colterville" <colterville@...> wrote:

                > I'm trying to make sense of the following characteristic of a level 4 response to Exercise 4...
                >
                > "a complete and accurate description of two performance objectives that would support
                > students' academic language development as it relates to the given concept within a
                > specific topic from the given content area"
                >
                > I understand what performance objectives that support students' academic language development could be, but what would be some examples of given concept, specific topic and given content?
                >
                > Thanks!

              • Gelene
                Message 7 of 7 , May 17, 2012
                  Good luck. I'll b thinking of u all.  I know a lot of people r doing it saturday   So u will no be alone:-)

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  =