Any resources (books or online) for Assessment #2?

  • enlhighschoolapplicant
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2012
      I've compiled all my resources and started studying, but I'm having a hard time finding information for strategies for the different types of errors. I've looked at my library and on Amazon, but I just keep finding academic texts on pedagogy of error analysis. When I search on the web, I find information about identifying errors but not about strategies to help them. Has anyone found anything better?

      Thanks,
      Nicole
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2012

        below is the framework i used to help myself stay on track.. it might not work for you/everyone..
        but i think when you break it down into the pieces it takes a lot of the 'mystery' out of it
        btw... sorry for all the spelling.. is was really just notes to myself and i never relaly thought about others seeing it.. i really should clean it up
        SORRY!

        basically i broke the task down into what types of errors.. phonological, morpho, etc..
        and thought about the most 'often' usual ones that i see each day.. these were the ones/types i would look for first..
        from what i understand the 'strategies' would be all the types of stuff you would do to try and help them self correct.. i feel
        that they use many of the terms VERY LOOSELY.. strategies can mean soo much and then of course there are different types
        learner, teaching/instructtional or metacognitive strategies.. so i think this works to your advantage..

        so i didn't use a book.. i just used what i did each day along w/ thinking of the standards and waht they say over, and over and over and over again. .haahaa
        below are just a few examples..in the first one to help you see the connection...
        i underlined what i 'thought' the strategies would be.. i think if you list a couple for each you are good.. i think to get a better score the
        the big thing is to say WHY it works.. i underlines the strategy and bolded the 'why' so you can see it better/how they connect
        also you do NOT have to 'name' what you think the strategy is.. i just put it in (parenthses) on the first one so you could kinda see what i meant
        by strategies.. i took these types of things from the standards.. i always jsut took their words and apply them and listed them specificall
        b/c that is waht the readers are going to look for.. so i tried to use their lingo as much as possilbe so they didn't have to 'search' for the connections..
        i just tried my best to lay it all out ther in te open for them to ck off their list
        please someone else jump in if you think i'm totally off base!

        EXERCISE #2 Linguistic Structure of English

        Demonstrate my knowledge of linguistic structure of English language to analyze a student’s work sample and describe strategies for meeting the needs of the student.

        • Accurately identify the linguistic errors in the student response across 4 of the 5 fields
        5 fields as i know them are: Phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics or pragmatics
        • Provide a detailed description of strategies that are specifically targeted to the identified errors and the needs of the give student
         examples one might see in a students work...
        Phonological- The continue to confuse b/p. these are both bilabial sounds one is w/voice the other is w.out voice.

        Morphology- students have difficulty w/ irregular plurals. They seems to over generalize the /s/

        Syntax- Students get the direct object placement/order confused in their sentence

        Semantics- they have difficulty or misused the statement

        Pragmatics- are very direct and don’t use transitions or statements that help ease the conversation from being abrupt when he disagrees.

        Phonlogy-I would work with students first to make the sound in isolation (deductive/inductive-part to whole?) using mirrors to see what their mouth is doing. I would also have students talk about their first language and relate the soudnto the first language and how it is the same or different (connect L1/L2). We would move to using the sounds in words ( that are similary but distinct and the words would have sounds b/p at various positions in the words (ie. intiatl/final) then we would have students work on reading them in sentences. Lastly students would have to listen to each other/teacher to note when the hear the sound in the words used correctly. For example bat /pat.student woud have to know which word I said.  (use all domains) By coming at the words using various domains of language it helps the student to hear/use it and cement it bette b/c they get a chance to really incoroporate it into their understanding. Helping them to look at their L1 is a benefite so they can see how the lagnauges are the same and different Also gives them foundation/framework from wich ot attach other diffuculties. And lastly this new understanding can transfer over into their spelling/writing as well pronunciation and reading

        Morph- to help him I would group the similar irregular verbs into color coded groups… for example
        Put/cut/ together and also see if they know any of the other irregular verbs in that group so I could connecti ti to prior knowlegge more than likely they know one or two from that group. This also helps to provide ownership and makes it more meaningful . Then I would practice it in these groups. Just as before I would do it in various domains/modalities to make sure that they could not only read and know the different but hear it as well. Listening and speaking are the foundation to language to we would have to make sure that they could start there. Can look to their L1 to see if there are any similarieties or differences in how they form plurals. Also good to connect with prior knowledge. The pattern grouping help them build schema and shows them how to look at information to increase their metacognition and cognition by providing these strategies then later they can do it on their own.

        Syntax—I would cut out pictures and/or have students create their own. We would use these to help students see the pattern of English syntax. For example a picture for each mule (noun), mule carrying (verb), mule carrying water (diredt object), etc. this visual representation provide a framework.  this would give students ownership and make it meaningful, keep them active while they learn the structure for syntax.  Connect it w/ their L! so that students can see how they language are the same or different.. again this helps students better understand and cement information.   Like the previous we would do this to include all domain to practice and reinforce information again to soldify the use

        Semantic- using the frayer model we would put the word/phrases that cause difficulty into this sheet. Which has students writer it along with a picture, definition, I require students to also include the word in their first language,a s well as student what it doesn’t mean… or when not to use it.. I would let student s get a reward fi they use it casually inour future class conversation.. students can chose what they want that to be ie. sticker. Again this makes the info meangingful and relevant.. helps build context and link to background knowledge.  And provides them with a schema from which to attach and organize information

        Pragmatics- I woud explain the difrerentes in how American view commands like this. I would ask how they would ask in theirL! And show them the difference in what it sounds like in English and explain that American like directness but it also have to have a balance of niceties to it,, peppered with soft language ike ‘I would prefer, and I understand and I appreciate what you are saying, but…” this is helpful so students can interact with native speaking peers more smoothly and this is very important to their social wellbeing and ability to cross culture/increase linquistic competence. .

        I've compiled all my resources and started studying, but I'm having a hard time finding information for strategies for the different types of errors. I've looked at my library and on Amazon, but I just keep finding academic texts on pedagogy of error analysis. When I search on the web, I find information about identifying errors but not about strategies to help them. Has anyone found anything better?

        Thanks,
        Nicole

      • Nicole Da Silva

          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2012
            i know what you mean about overwhelming.. it is hard sometimes to get your brain/wrap it around such a huge string of
            tasks and put it into little 'simple' terms when it doesn't seem simple at all!! haahaa
            glad it helps..  feel free to email w/ questions.. happy to try to help :)

            I've compiled all my resources and started studying, but I'm having a hard time finding information for strategies for the different types of errors. I've looked at my library and on Amazon, but I just keep finding academic texts on pedagogy of error analysis. When I search on the web, I find information about identifying errors but not about strategies to help them. Has anyone found anything better?

            Thanks,
            Nicole

          • dthomas4201
            Message 5 of 6 , May 26, 2012
              Be sure you look at the Assessment at a Glance exercises for this year. #2 is different from last year. Instead of asking about Phonology, Morphology, Semantics, Syntax, etc. it asks for definitions of Phonology, Vocabulary, Grammar and Discourse. Then you analyze the student's text (I assume) for errors in these categories.

              Don't let it throw you if you've prepared to write about semantics, pragmatics, morphology, etc.

              --- In NBTC-ENL@yahoogroups.com, Gelene Strecker <gelene@...> wrote:

              > i know what you mean about overwhelming.. it is hard sometimes to get your brain/wrap it around such a huge string of
              > tasks and put it into little 'simple' terms when it doesn't seem simple at all!! haahaa
              > glad it helps..  feel free to email w/ questions.. happy to try to help :)

            • Gelene
              Message 6 of 6 , May 28, 2012
                Good point.  I did it two yrs ago. Definitions seem easier?? But perhaps it is to be defined within the context of the example.  Either way doable ;-).

                Sent from my iPhone