230FINALIZING DRAFTS 1-fit as much NB language in as possible 2- CUT unnecessary words!

  • gelene@rocketmail.com
    Apr 9, 2014

      FINALIZING DRAFTS 1-fit as much NB language in as possible 2- CUT unnecessary words!

      Thought I would send this out as everyone is finalizing their drafts!

      HELPFUL HINTS ON FINALIZING DRAFTS!!

      1- You wanna fit AS MUCH NB language as possible into your writing. Like I have talked about many times in various emails w/ everyone- JUST THROW THAT INFO/JARGON RIGHT BK AT THEM!!!!

      Like a monkey throwing their poo at the zoo! Oh don’t pretend you don’t hate NB!! Don’t pretend you never had a crazy passing thought of giving them a real piece of your mind! I think my example is quite pleasant compared to the feelings that I had while doing NB. Take that energy/frustration into the battlefield!

      When are you are really sick and fed up w/ the NB process (which I KNOW you are) then take a fighting stance and go out kicking & screaming! J Use the info/terminology directly from the ‘How to do the entry section’ & Standards IN your writing! If you don’t have a copy of my cklists for ENL then email me directly I’ll all get them to you. So Just throw all the terminology/lingo/jargon that they throw at us right bk at them… think monkey… or perhaps ‘ex’?... haahaa

      2- How do you try to cover it all when it seems like you don’t have enough space?

       “But The Ever Wonderful & All Knowing Gelene, however do we get more in??”

      Let me tell you my children J

      CHOOSE ONLY what HITs the STANDARDS/REPEATED POINTS. Leave out anything that you think is ‘cool’ that doesn’t cover/fit exactly what they are asking. I KNOW it is hard to give up/leave out stuff b/c “the kids really like it” or “it makes us feel warm & fuzzy” or “it is the neat thing we are known for at school.”  Gotta ck that stuff at the door. So only use things that connect to the standards & ‘how to-s’

      THEN.. CUT out ALL the UNnecessary words!

      See sample below!

      "Based on my students’ interests and backgrounds, I knew the selection would be a good fit. All of the students have had their own personal journey arriving to the United States…."\

      CK out how I CUT it!

      "Based onmy students’ interests/backgrounds, I knew the selection would be was a good fit.All of the Each students have had their own personal journey arriving to the USUnited States."

      OR

      "Based onmy students’ interests/backgrounds, I knew the selection would be was a good fit.All of the Each students have had their own personal a personal journey arriving to the USUnited States."

      In 2 sentences I CUT out easily 50 characters!!! If you tweet/use Twitter you KNOW how much that can be! SO I made a room to ADD important terminology ;-) And this is JUST IN TWO sentences! Imagine how much space you have the potential of making over the course of an entire paper!

      As usual, here to help!

      ~gelene “serving NBs since 2009” J

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic