Re: [NARCDC] Tamarisk Mapping

  • Steve Quesenberry
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
      Willa,

      Back in the early 80's, while I was in Blythe, CA.  Someone was doing a study using infrared photo's.  They were trying to classify vegetation by color.  I believe it had some angle towards 'blacl-ops' for the military.  HOWEVER, a plant person in Blythe - Standforth Company - was using this idea to scout agricultural fields for insects and plant stress.  I also think J.G. Boswell and Salyer Land in Corcoran, CA was doing the same thing.

      I would start there.  I believe they were using low level, high level airplanes and satelite stuff.  Hope this helps.

      Willa Holgate wrote:

      Hello RC&D'ers,

      We are working on a project to inventory tamarisk infestations in
      Western Colorado.  We are looking for an accurate yet cost/time
      effective method to differentiate tamarisk species from other riparian
      vegetation on a large scale - millions of acres.  Our research to date
      has not unearthed such a method so we are leaning toward a pilot
      comparing several techniques to find the one that will work.

      In a final effort to make sure this information doesn't exist, please
      respond if you know of a technique that has proven accurate and
      time/cost efficient in mapping tamarisk.

      Thanks for your help!

      Willa Holgate, Colorado Big Country RC&D

      NARCDC is an list server for it RC&D Coordinators, Council members, and Partners.

      USDA, NRCS, Yahoogroups.com, or NARCDC@yahoogroups.com Members or it's managers are not responsible for the content, nature, or use of this list server by any of it's users, partners, or other use therein.

      Steve Quesenberry
      South Jersey RC&D Council, Inc.
      Augusta Professional Center
      854 South White Horse Pike, Suite 3
      Hammonton, NJ 08037
      609-561-3223 ext 10
      609-561-2765 FAX
      http://www.sjrcd.org
      steve@...

    • Dave Dickens
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
        Sorry, I don't lhave any information of this.
        David
      • Dick McCleery
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2001
          Willa,

          I am working with a remote sensing company to map yellow star thistle from aireal photos and or satilite imagery. I am certain this same proceedure could be used for tamarisk. The conatct is bgr@....
          The company is Bio-Geo-Recon in Sonora, California.. Clyde is president and the Telephone is (209) 532-5297.

          Dick

          Willa Holgate wrote:

          > Hello RC&D'ers,
          >
          > We are working on a project to inventory tamarisk infestations in
          > Western Colorado. We are looking for an accurate yet cost/time
          > effective method to differentiate tamarisk species from other riparian
          > vegetation on a large scale - millions of acres. Our research to date
          > has not unearthed such a method so we are leaning toward a pilot
          > comparing several techniques to find the one that will work.
          >
          > In a final effort to make sure this information doesn't exist, please
          > respond if you know of a technique that has proven accurate and
          > time/cost efficient in mapping tamarisk.
          >
          > Thanks for your help!
          >
          > Willa Holgate, Colorado Big Country RC&D
          >

          > NARCDC is an list server for it RC&D Coordinators, Council members, and Partners.
          >
          > USDA, NRCS, Yahoogroups.com, or NARCDC@yahoogroups.com Members or it's managers are not responsible for the content, nature, or use of this list server by any of it's users, partners, or other use therein.

        • Jeffrey Lamb
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 7, 2001
            Willa,

            You might try contacting the Remote Sensing/ GIS Laboratory, Utah State University, College of Natural Resources in Logan, Utah. They do a lot of vegetation mapping using Landsat 7 Thematic Mapper Imagery.
            The director is Doug Ramsey, e-mail address is dougr@...