FW: Fibercrops Update

  • Merlin Berg
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2001
      Fibercrops Update
      The Wy'East RC&D has been involved with the Fiber Futures and straw utilization.  This information may be of interest to you.

      Merlin Berg
      RC&D Coordinator

      Wy'East RC&D
      2325 River Rd., Suite 2
      The Dalles, OR  97058

      www.wyeastrcd.org
      merlin.berg@...
      541-296-2391 x117

      Dear fibercrops subscribers,

      Straw Utilization Workshop
      Attached a brochure announcing a workshop sponsored by WSU, US-DOE, USDA-FSA and Pacific Northwest National Labs: "Straw Utilization in the Pacific Northwest: Current and Future Prospects". The workshop will take place in the Tri-Cities June 21, 2001, the purpose is to provide growers with options for small grain and grass residue. Fibercrop’s own Tom Miles will discuss our FiberCrops project in general, and power generation from ag residues in detail. For more information see the attached flyer or contact Larry Albin at larryalbin@... or Kathylu Szabo at szabo@....

      Sourcebook Straw Utilization
      The FiberCrops project staff is making good progress on the production of the Sourcebook Straw Utilization; a broad information resource on all aspects of straw utilization in the PNW. The sourcebook will be published as a website, but hardcopies will also be available. Any input, publications, articles, reports, news clippings, pictures or graphics you may have on straw, cultivation practices, field burning, collection, storage, processing, markets, and business development that you think are relevant to straw utilization in the Pacific Northwest will be highly appreciated. If you have any info you wish to share or see published in our sourcebook, please contact us at roekel@....

      Project Workshops
      With a wealth of information available in the sourcebook, Fiber Futures will organize workshops for stakeholders. The first workshop is planned on Wednesday, September 26th in Walla Walla, Washington. Detailed info will be available soon. We’re interested  in setting up more workshops for growers and other stakeholders to find solutions for excess straw, but we’ll need help in locating venues and getting invitations out. Please let us know if you’re interested in helping to set up a workshop, email us at roekel@....

      Talk to us!
      Please let us know your thoughts and ideas on straw utilization, our sourcebook, our GIS mapping effort and the educational workshop. We appreciate to hear your opinion, and will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Email to info@... or call Gerrit at 415.561.6546.

      With best regards,

      Gerrit Van Roekel

      FiberFutures - Gerrit J. Van Roekel - program manager
      Building 1016, Torney Avenue, 2nd floor
      Presidio Box 29363, San Fransisco CA 94129-0363
      T 415.561.6546  -  F 415.561.6474  -  M 415.420.1241
      roekel@... -  www.fiberfutures.org

      #4,  May 31, 2001