Re: [NARCDC] Fundraising Opportunity

  • prattds
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2012

      Sue,  Sounds interesting.  Would be interested, but would like more information on cost.  I also need to run  this by my Board.  Sharon

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2012
        Hello all RC&D supporters!
        I have served as a Board Member, member and supporter of Alamo RC&D in Texas since 1996. I am a nonprofit development consultant in the Texas Hill Country area and  I am currently serving Alamo RC&D again as their program coordinator and am volunteering my services as a development consultant. I did not attend the Conference but I have spoken to the Texas delegation who did attend.  It seems that a lot of good thinking is happening toward sustainability.....and that is what is needed right now.

        I have some advice:
        Take these steps now:
        1. Strengthen your Board, provide nonprofit governance and funds development training,
        2. Strengthen your existing programs, maintain or get collaborative nonprofit or government agencies to work with you to make your impact greater and more effective.
        3. Put yourself in the public eye,  tell the world who you are, about your wonderful track record and how your programs make a difference. You can use the old fashioned means (mailings, news articles etc ) coupled with the social network methods and  a good web page....Notice that social networks will not do it alone.
        4. Grow your local donor base. Nonprofits are sustained by consistent donations from individual donors (should be >70% of your budget) so this is VERY important.
        5. Get to know a lot of foundations, apply for grants for each of your programs.....there is funding out there!!
        6. Get the corporate and business (both local and others wise) on your side. Get them to provide  donations, in-kind gifts, volunteer services.....all is good!!
        7. Grow your volunteer base....volunteers come from all ages and will love to help your mission...Engage, Involve, Excite, and then say Thank You over and over. They often become your sustaining donors also.

        I know that this is advice in a nutshell that you have heard before. I gave this advice in April of 2011 when the funding stopped and it is sage tried an true advice for all nonprofits ......note that I did not mention a fundraiser.....you need to do items one to seven above..... then with a strengthened volunteer base and donor base then have  a good fundraiser .....Fundraisers are a lot of work, bring in friends if your work them right but are not necessarily a sustainable way to go. .....sustainability is the important consideration at this time for all RC&D organizations from local to national.

        My heart is with each of you.
        yours,
        Alma Aguirre
        Program Coordinator/Consultant
        Mailing Address:
        Alamo Resource Conservation & Development Area Inc.
        215 W. Bandera Rd. Ste.114-456
        Boerne, Texas 78006

        Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 7:42 PM

        --

        Alma Aguirre

        MASCAT Consultants

        mascat@...

        210-548-9248

      • judy.lyttle1@verizon.net

          Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 7:42 PM

          Good Evening RC&D Enthusiasts!

          Some of you were able to catch Becki Koon's, Bitter Root RC&D, presentation on Sustainability in Madison, Wisconsin.  She talked about how the Bitter Root is considering hiring a fundraiser.  The BRRC&D met with the fundraiser and he would like to do 2 events - one in the Fall and one in the Spring.  Now it goes to the Council for approval.

          So why am I sharing this with you?  I talked to David Mirisch about what he could do for RC&D nationwide.  He is willing to give a free orientation to fundraising to as many councils as would like to sit in.  This event would be hosted by the Bitter Root RC&D.  You need to recognize that David is in this to make money.  At the same time he has some outstanding ideas and he is well connected in the Hollywood circles.  I recommend that you check out his website at www.dmirisch.com.

          If you are interested, let Andy or I know and we will try to set up a skyping event.   Contact me at:  sue.sutherland2007@ymail.com

          Stay Inspired!    Sue

          --

          Alma Aguirre