RE: [NARCDC] USDA Funds for Local Food 'Hoophouses"-- Dec. 31 Eligibility Deadline

  • Whitney, John - East Aurora, NY
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 28, 2009

      Please note that the deadlines varies from State to State.  And the “label” may be “high tunnel” rather than hoop house.

      John

      John R. Whitney, District Conservationist

      USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service

      50 Commerce Way

      East Aurora, New York 14052-8337

      (716) 652-8480 voice

      (716) 652-8506 fax

      (716) 474-4387 cell

      john.whitney@...

      an equal opportunity provider and employer

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010

        To what degree are any of the RC&D’s getting involved in these hoop houses.  It is an EQIP practice so why aren’t the DC’s handling this?

        George Zimmerman

        Black Hills RC&D Coordinator

        george.zimmerman@...

        1530 Samco Rd

        Rapid City, SD 57703

        (605)348-2611

        john.whitney@ ny.usda.gov

        On 12/22/09, Malcolm Dell <gourmetinnovations@ gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
        > limited-resource farmers and organic producers.
        >
        > Washington
        is one of 38 states participating in the project. NRCS will
        > provide financial assistance for the project through its Environmental
        > Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), the EQIP Organic Initiative. One
        > high tunnel per farm for qualified applicants, covering as much as 5
        > percent of 1 acre, may be funded.
        >
        > "On our farm here in the Puget Sound
        region, high tunnels are
        > essential for heat loving crops," said Ann Vandeman, executive
        > director of Left Foot Organics near Olympia ,
        Washington . "We can grow
        > tomatoes, basil and peppers without them, but the yields are not high
        > enough to cover the costs of production," she said.
        >
        > To sign up or learn more about EQIP assistance for high tunnel
        > projects, producers should contact a local NRCS office.

      • Brannon, Ree - Moscow, ID
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010

          Hi George, unfortunately, Idaho wasn’t a pilot state, otherwise I would have been working with my DCs to implement.

          Ree

          Anna Marie “Ree” Brannon, RC&D Coordinator

          Clearwater RC&D Area

          220 E. 5th St., Rm. 212B ( PO Box 9576 )

          Moscow, ID 83843

          Voice:  208.882.4960, 110

          Fax:  208.883.4239

          ree.brannon@...

          To what degree are any of the RC&D’s getting involved in these hoop houses.  It is an EQIP practice so why aren’t the DC’s handling this?

          George Zimmerman

          Black Hills RC&D Coordinator

          george.zimmerman@ sd.usda.gov

          1530 Samco Rd

          Rapid City , SD 57703

          (605)348-2611

> [...]

          > benefits to growers.
          >
          > Made of ribs of plastic or metal pipe covered with a layer of plastic
          > sheeting, high tunnels are easy to build, maintain and move. High
          > tunnels are used year-round in parts of the country, providing steady
          > incomes to farmers - a significant advantage to owners of small farms,
          > limited-resource farmers and organic producers.
          >
          > Washington
          is one of 38 states participating in the project. NRCS will
          > provide financial assistance for the project through its Environmental
          > Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), the EQIP Organic Initiative. One
          > high tunnel per farm for qualified applicants, covering as much as 5
          > percent of 1 acre, may be funded.
          >
          > "On our farm here in the Puget Sound
          region, high tunnels are
          > essential for heat loving crops," said Ann Vandeman, executive
          w:st="on">Olympia , Washington . "We can grow
          > tomatoes, basil and peppers without them, but the yields are not high
          > enough to cover the costs of production," she said.
          >
          > To sign up or learn more about EQIP assistance for high tunnel
          > projects, producers should contact a local NRCS office.

        • Rose, Mark - Annapolis, MD
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010

            Happy New Year to all.

            What a great opportunity for RC&D Councils, who’s Area Plan identifies assistance to agricultural produces, to step up an assist NRCS with this pilot project.

            The Chief has asked states to pilot implementation of a Seasonal High Tunnel System for Crops, interim standard 798. This is a new practice for NRCS, thus the “interim standard” number and designation. The Chief has instructed states to provide financial assistance to eligible producers interested in implementing this practice. Before Farm bill funds can be expended on a practice, each state participating in the pilot must develop state specific criteria based on the national standard. This includes identifying which program applicants may apply under for financial assistance to implement the practice. EQIP is the likely choice for funding however Maryland is proposing to use AMA funding for this practice. Each state establishes the time line applications will be accepted and funded. There was not a deadline established at the national level. Applicants can walk into a NRCS office and apply for financial assistance continuously throughout the year. In most states the number of applicants often exceeds the amount of funds available, therefore applications are ranked and the highest ranked applications are funded. Funding often is used up within a three to four month period.

            RC&D Councils and Coordinators typically work with the non-traditional ag operation. RC&D can play a major role in supporting NRCS with outreach and possibly identifying customers we traditionally do not service. The RC&D can also identify those customers that may benefit from this practice. The RC&D may also be able to provide a link to technical assistance and expertise that may not be available to the local NRCS field office. The RC&D Council may even be able to find additional financial assistance to supplement NRCS funding. RC&D is great at taking something like this and expanding the opportunities for the producer.

            Finally I highly recommend the RC&D Coordinators contact your Assistant State Conservationist for Programs and learn more about this non-traditional practice NRCS is piloting. A National Bulletin will be posted soon to the NRCS Directives website. Coordinators should review it to learn how NRCS intends to implement the standard. Your Council may also be able to identify a role in implementing this practice locally.

            Since the USDA news release was issued, I have had an average of two calls per day requesting information. Our field offices have also been getting calls. 90% of these calls are from individuals who have never stepped into a USDA service center.

            Finally – what a great opportunity for RC&D Councils.

            Mark A. Rose

            USDA NRCS Maryland

            Assistant State Conservationist for Programs

            339 Busch's Frontage Road, Ste 301

            Annapolis, Maryland 21409

            (o) 443-482-2910  (c) 443-477-1231

            mark.rose@...

> [...]

            > incomes to farmers - a significant advantage to owners of small farms,
            > limited-resource farmers and organic producers.
            >
            > Washington is one of 38 states participating in the project. NRCS will
            > provide financial assistance for the project through its Environmental
            > Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), the EQIP Organic Initiative. One
            > high tunnel per farm for qualified applicants, covering as much as 5
            > percent of 1 acre, may be funded.
            >
            > "On our farm here in the Puget Sound region, high tunnels are
            > essential for heat loving crops," said Ann Vandeman, executive
            > director of Left Foot Organics near Olympia, Washington. "We can grow
            > tomatoes, basil and peppers without them, but the yields are not high
            > enough to cover the costs of production," she said.
            >
            > To sign up or learn more about EQIP assistance for high tunnel
            > projects, producers should contact a local NRCS office.

          • Meagher, Maureen - Afton, WY
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010
              All,
              Does anyone have a RFP you would be willing to share for a Building Re-Model Project Manager? Western Wyoming RC&D Council is working on project to convert an old school into a Community Center/Business Incubator. Funding has been approved and we are now looking at putting out an RFP for the Project Manager. Any ideas?
              Maureen Meagher
              Western Wyoming Resource Conservation & Development Coordinator
              307.886.9412
            • Chenal, Sandra - New Philadelphia, OH
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 7, 2010
                Has any council been involved in the Cooperative Conservation Partnership Initiative (CCPI) by submitting a proposal?  Please email me if you have an agreement as a result of this program.  Thanks!  Sandra.chenal@...

                Sandy Chenal
                Coordinator
                Crossroads RC&D
                330-339-9317
                fax 330-339-4517

              • Zimmerman, George - Rapid City, SD
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 7, 2010

                  The word I just got is that the RFP is not out on this and it will be coming.