Unsightly junk piles in communities

  • Dettmann, Detra - Fairfield, IA
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      Unsightly junk piles in communities

      I've had a couple different inquiries from small towns in my area that are wondering if there is assistance for helping to clean up areas in town where there is unsighlty clutter, junk, etc.  I believe they may have ordinances that prohibit such areas, but enforcement is an issue with limited personnel and funds.

      Does anyone know of any grants that might support a specialized position such as a compliance officer (for a limited amount of time), or, looking at it from another angle, grants to help pay for disposal of accumlated trash in the name of community beautification or betterment?

      Any assistance or success stories will be greatly appreciated.

      Detra
      Detra Dettmann
      Pathfinders RC&D Coordinator
      Natural Resources Conservation Service
      1805 West Jefferson Avenue
      Fairfield, Iowa  52556

      Phone: 641/472-6177  Fax: 641/472-6211
      Email: detra.dettmann@...
      Serving the counties of Davis, Jefferson, Keokuk, Mahaska, Van Buren and Wapello.

    • Julianne Buck
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
        Unsightly junk piles in communities

        http://www.cof.org/Locator/SearchResults.cfm?state=16

        Detra,

        Do you have a community foundation near you?  We have a “community beautification fund,” but it is only for our town.  Maybe your local community foundation has a similar fund.  Above is the link list of IA community foundations if you need to find “yours.”

        Hope this helps!

        Thanks!

        Julie

        Julianne Buck

        Executive Director

        Morris Community Foundation

        105 E. Main, #202

        Morris, IL  60450

        815/941-0852

        http://www.morriscommunityfoundation.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
          Unsightly junk piles in communities
          Detra,
          Check with your state environmental enforcement agency.  They may have a program like Texas where violators may donate part of their fine to environmentally beneficial projects.

          Jerry Pearce
          Coordinator
          De-Go-La RC&D
          2601 Azalea, Suite 6
          Victoria, TX 77901
          361-570-7138
          Fax 361-570-7138
[...]

        • Heller, Joseph - Syracuse, NY
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
            Detra:
            The Army Corp and the local reserve unit did a project here in NY to remove "junk" from forest land on Long Island . The mission was for training and they used helicopters to remove large debris (cars, abandoned boats etc.).

            Joseph Heller

            USDA / NRCS
            Resource Conservation and Development Coordinator

            652 Route 299, Suite # 202
            Highland, New York 12528-2926

            Telephone # 845.883.7162 ext 104
            Fax # 845.883.7184