Nuisance Black Bear Project

  • Hendrickson, Rodney - London, KY
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
      Over the past few years some communities in southeast Kentucky are
      experiencing a problem with nuisance black bears. As recently as 10
      years ago black bears in Kentucky were very rare. However, during the
      past 5 years the bear population has increased drastically. In some
      communities bears have gotten used to coming into the communities to
      feed off garbage. In at least a couple cases the bears have ripped
      screens off screened in porches. Several of the businesses have
      installed bear-proof fences around dumpsters. One community has
      established a nuisance bear task force. The task force is made up of
      several wildlife biologist and the local cooperative extension agent.
      The task force has been very involved in educating the public on how to
      co-exist with black bears. The RC&D Council has been asked to help find
      funding to purchase bear-proof garbage containers for the local
      residents in this very low-income community. A local technical school
      has agreed to construct the containers for $200 each. Do any of you have
      any ideas about funding for a project such as this? Also, for those
      coordinators who work in bear country, do you have other ideas about
      activities that would help the problem?

      Please send responses to rodney.hendrickson@....

      Thanks
      Rodney Hendrickson
      RC&D Coordinator
      Cumberland Valley RC&D
    • Simon, Kurt - Parkersburg, WV
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
        Rodney,
        A friend of mine works for the National Park Service in the Great Smokey
        Mountain National Park and has been in the nuisance bear program for
        many years. You may want to contact them for advise.

        Rick Varner
        Wildlife Biological Technician
        Great Smokey Mountain National Park
        107 Park Headquarters Rd.
        Gatlinburg, TN 37738
        865-436-1284
        Rick_varner@...

        It has been a couple of years since I talked with Rick so I hope his
        contact information is still current. We are old college buddies so
        tell him I said hello.
        Hope this helps,
        Kurt Simon

[...]

        NARCDC is an list server for it RC&D Coordinators, Council members, and
        Partners.

        National Association Web Page: http://www.RCDnet.org
        To Unsubscribe, send a blank email to:
        For questions or comments email: NARCDC-owner@yahoogroups.com

        USDA, NRCS, Yahoogroups.com, or NARCDC@yahoogroups.com Members or it's
        managers are not responsible for the content, nature, or use of this
        list server by any of it's users, partners, or other use therein.
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Malcolm Dell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
          > Also, for those who work in bear country,
          > do you have other ideas about
          > activities that would help the problem?
          > Thanks
          > Rodney Hendrickson
          > RC&D Coordinator
          > Cumberland Valley RC&D

          Rodney,

          Bear sausage is WONDERFUL!

          Curiosity, has any feral cat or wild dog problem reduction been correlated?

          Malcolm
        • Pearce, Jerry - Victoria, TX
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
            I know of several thousand landowners in Texas who would love to send
            their feral hogs to you to help with the feral cat and dog problem.
            They eat almost anything, aerate the soil (big time)and they make a lot
            better sausage and barbecue than bears do!

            Jerry Pearce
            Coordinator
            De-Go-La RC&D
            2601 Azalea Suite 6
            Victoria, TX 77901
            361-570-7138
            fax: 361-570-7139
            website: http://www.degolarcd.org
            > Also, for those who work in bear country,
            > do you have other ideas about
            > activities that would help the problem?
            > Thanks
            > Rodney Hendrickson
            > RC&D Coordinator
            > Cumberland Valley RC&D

            Rodney,

            Bear sausage is WONDERFUL!

            Curiosity, has any feral cat or wild dog problem reduction been
            correlated?

            Malcolm

            NARCDC is an list server for it RC&D Coordinators, Council members, and
            Partners.

            National Association Web Page: http://www.RCDnet.org
            To Unsubscribe, send a blank email to:
            For questions or comments email: NARCDC-owner@yahoogroups.com

            USDA, NRCS, Yahoogroups.com, or NARCDC@yahoogroups.com Members or it's
            managers are not responsible for the content, nature, or use of this
            list server by any of it's users, partners, or other use therein.
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Hall, Leroy - Greeley, CO
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
              I'm curious. Is there such a thing as a Non-Nuisance Black Bear?

              I really like the feral cat/wild dog reduction program.