Katrina

  • Maetzold, Jim - Washington, DC
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
      We as a country give a lot of $$$ to help others and ourselves. I have
      always been one to let the local organizations and other community-based
      organizations do the helping. We need to get the $$$ and other
      assistance to them. I always let my church do it. All the major
      churches have a relief organization built into them. this way the money
      is transferred to the local churches where people are coming for help.
      Everyone cannot get to the big Red Cross centers and it spends a lot of
      money flying people and supplies. Let the local church volunteers do
      it!!. Churches are located on every corner and the central national
      organization will be there to help today, tomorrow and next year.

      My thoughts on this disaster.

      Yes, I am going to say "Have a nice day"

      Jim

      James A. Maetzold
      National Alternative Enterprise and Agritourism Leader
      USDA/NRCS
      PO Box 2890
      Washington, DC 20013
      202-720-0132
      Email: jim.maetzold@...
      www.nrcs.usda/technical/RESSD/altenterprise
    • Steve Quesenberry
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2005
        Hi,

        As the dust settles from Katrina, the question was asked what RC&D
        could do to help. The first thing would be to develop a new national
        policy to protect dams and levee's. At this time that does not exist.

        Here is a link to a paper on the subject. Every Council should be aware
        of this and, if they feel strongly about the subject, act upon it with
        their Congressional people. This type of preventable diseaster should
        never happen again.

        http://www.floods.org/PDF/ASFPM_HurricaneKatrina_WhitePaper_090905.pdf

        As the folks from N.O. fan out across this country, they will be looking for new homes and jobs. If a Council is looking to help, consider contacting Habitat for Humanity about building new homes in your area. If you have homes in need of repair, consider the program First State RC&D has for repairing aging mobile homes.

        --
        Steve Quesenberry
        RC&D Coordinator (Retired)