RE: [NARCDC] Examples of Fiscal Agent Agreements

  • Morton, Laura - Ellenton, FL
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2005
      Message
      I pulled together some materials on a fiscal agent policy when I was helping the Council develop financial policies (we are still fairly new - about 4 years from authorization).  I put a few important touch-ups on it after the training Non-profit Management for RC&Ds up at Lindy's, and also from Lindy's comments on this bulletin board a few months ago.

      Then, lo-and-behold, some last minute desperate group needed a "pass-through" and so I pushed hard on the Board to review it, comment,  and approve as an official policy before considering the needs of the group and our situation, etc.

      As it turned out, the group needing a pass-through did not want to turn over control of the budget and money to our Board and live by this policy. Our treasurer was relieved not to have to run this whole fiscal agent relationship out of his living room, to say the least!

      One thing that I wanted my Board to consider in a no-nonsense strategic way is this:  there is no money for the RC&D in taking on unnecessary risk and an enormous amount of work so that we can "recover our costs" and have people like us.  There may be times when it makes sense, but not all the time!!!!

      :-)
      Laura