Special to Air on TWC

  • Covey, Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2004
      New Television Special about Watersheds to Air on The Weather Channel

      Today, EPA's Acting Assistant Administrator for Water, Benjamin

      Grumbles, announced the airing of an upcoming ½ hour television special

      about watersheds co-produced by the Environmental Protection Agency and

      The Weather Channel. After the Storm will premier on The Weather

      Channel on Wednesday, February 4, 2004 at 8 pm and 11 pm Eastern

      Standard Time (EST). Additional showings are set for Sunday, May 9th at

      8:30 and 11:30 pm EST and Saturday, June 26th at 8:30 and 11:30 pm EST.

      "I encourage everyone to tune in on February 4th to learn more about

      the threats facing our nation's waters from polluted runoff," said

      Acting Assistant Administrator Grumbles. After the Storm shows the

      connection between weather and watersheds and the importance of

      watershed protection. We all live in a watershed and we all have an

      impact on our environment."

      The program reminds viewers that a finite amount of fresh water exists

      on the planet, and that everyone needs to take actions to protect water

      resources. "Over the last thirty years, the nation has done a

      tremendous job in tacking pollution from large factories and sewage

      treatment plants," said Grumbles. "Remaining threats are much more

      difficult to regulate. When it rains or when snow melts, pollutants

      from city streets, suburban lawns, and farms may runoff into our

      nation's streams, lakes, wetlands and coastal waters."

      The show highlights three case studies-Santa Monica Bay, the

      Mississippi River Basin/Gulf of Mexico, and New York City- where

      polluted runoff threatens watersheds highly valued for recreation,

      commercial fisheries and navigation, and drinking water. Key

      scientists, water quality experts, and citizens involved in local and

      national watershed protection efforts provide insight into the problems

      as well as solutions to today's water quality crisis.

      Acting Assistant Administrator Grumbles added, "EPA was pleased to team

      up with The Weather Channel on this educational special. Broadcast

      meteorologists are considered trusted and effective spokespersons for

      conveying complex environmental and scientific information to the

      American public, and millions of viewers tune into The Weather Channel

      daily for the latest weather updates. Weather events-like droughts,

      floods, and rain -directly impact the quality of our water resources.

      They offer a perfect opportunity for meteorologist to discuss

      connections between weather and watersheds."

      (http://watershed.interactive-environment.com/main/ )

      In addition to illustrating the environmental implications of weather

      events, the special provides useful tips on how people can help make a

      difference. After the Storm explains simple things people can do to

      protect their local watershed-such as picking up after one's dog and

      recycling household hazardous wastes. It also shows how some

      communities and private companies are getting involved through low

      impact development - utilizing rain gardens and green roofs to minimize

      stormwater runoff.

      Viewers are encouraged to visit the EPA web site -

      www.epa.gov/weatherchannel

      for more information about what they can do, including a free brochure

      about stormwater pollution.

      After six months, EPA owns the rights to the special. The Agency

      intends to make After the Storm available to other television stations

      and educational organizations interested in broadcasting the show.

      Carl Myers [EPA detail to NRCS for CEAP]

      Special Assistant to Wayne Maresch

      carl.f.myers@...

      202-205-5513

      Rm. 6821 S. Ag. Bldg.