Customer Resource Packet

  • Jan Jorgensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
      We're looking for ideas to help us put together a packet of resource
      material for our RC&D Council - something that could be used at booths,
      to hand to a potential customer, to explain what resources the RC&D
      offers, etc. Please send me your suggestions, samples that some of you
      have done, or other ideas. Thanks!

      Jan Jorgensen
      702 E. Park Ave.
      Plainview, NE 68769
      402-582-4866
      jan.jorgensen@...
    • iahtland
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2003
        Message
        Fellow RC&Ders

            I originally intended to respond to Jan directly but maybe this is worth reading for all of us.  If not delete now.

            I had my secretary send some material put together by the NRCS public affairs staff for all of the RC&Ds in Iowa.  The challenge for most seems to be that each RC&D (should be) is grass roots driven and is responding to the needs of the local area.  That means that the packet you need may be unique.

            I've never ever made an effort to market the RC&D program at large public events unless we were sponsors.  The council brings in 99.99% of our project ideas and that generally is multiple times more work than we can handle.  If you are a new RC&D try hosting some grant writing workshops, value added seminars, or those sort of things if there is a local need.  Use part of the time for a council member to explain what the RC&D program is all about.  Once people grasp the concept they will be lined up at your door for assistance.  I do make a deliberate attempt at outreach but otherwise it is up to the council members to identify their needs and prioritize the projects that we take on.

            The greatest challenge for Heartland's council now is to sort out the projects that have the greatest need, public benefit and that won't take too much staff time for the level of benefit.

        Jess Jackson Jr.
        Coordinator
        Iowa Heartland RC&D