FYI--Rare weather events and 'knucklehead factor' produced big blazes this summer

  • M. Pamela Bumsted, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2002
      For Your Information from the Lower Kuskokwim RC&D Council
      Waqaa-- www.calsnet.com/YKAlaska
      Our wildland fires up here don't get much coverage, even in-state, so I
      thought some of you might be interested in this article on the economic
      effects and sustainability. Hooper Bay is part of the LKRC&D.

      Although Alaska is a large state, those of us breathing on the Bering Coast
      are also affected by the haze and smoke from Interior fires, several
      hundred miles away.

      The human killers don't get counted in wildland fires, however. Many of our
      communities have to live in outdated housing which never passed electrical
      safety codes when new; where petroleum-fueled fire trucks and ATVs often
      freeze up in winter and are therefore delayed getting to homes (and then
      the water they carry may be frozen); and where many communities have no
      running water (unless one counts the summer rain collected off roofs for
      drinking or the river water) and therefore have difficulty filling a pumper
      truck. Firefighting foams are useful, except in areas like us on the breezy
      coast where *mild* winds are often 20 mph. [Even our biggest cities such as
      Fairbanks (population of about 30,000) have a high rate of fire injuries
      and deaths, but that is another matter.]

      http://www.adn.com/front/story/1708262p-1825042c.html