Re: [NARCDC] EMU

  • Jerry Pearce
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
      Wayne:
      I hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but emus (and ostriches)
      turned out to be almost like a pyramid scheme here. People who got in
      early and became the breeder/sellers made the money then got out. Those
      who were left holding birds had to do something because the feed was so
      expensive. Many slaughtered their whole flock and gave the carcasses
      away. Some just turned them loose to roam free. I've been considering
      promoting feral emu hunts as an alternative. Not much help I'm afraid.

      "C. Wayne Ray" wrote:

      > Hi!
      >
      > The Endless Mountains and Pocono Northeast RC&D Councils are working
      > with a group of Emu growers. We are having trouble finding outlets for
      > feathers, hides and other byproducts. Do any of you have experience
      > with Emu or suggestions on possible contacts for these produces.
      > Thanks.
      >
      > WAYNE
      >

      > NARCDC is an list server for it RC&D Coordinators, Council members, and Partners.
      >
      > National Association Web Page: http://www.RCDnet.org
      > For questions or comments email: NARCDC-owner@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > USDA, NRCS, Yahoogroups.com, or NARCDC@yahoogroups.com Members or it's managers are not responsible for the content, nature, or use of this list server by any of it's users, partners, or other use therein.

    • Bennie Hutchins
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2002
        Wayne,
        There is a sucessful emu oil processing plant in Monticello, MS. owned
        by Blue Stuff Corp. of OK City, OK. Plant manager is Jim Johnson.
        Currently they only process oil from emu fat obtained from emu
        slaughtering facilities. He may be of assistance in providing you with
        some contacts. Phone 601-886-7575.

        Bennie Hutchins
        Coordinator
        SW MS RC&D