Re: [NAMA_mushroom_cultivation] Re: Hello Ron Spinosa: Pine tree log question

  • jbhawk1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2012
      Hello Jim,
      Thanks for the idea.  I have never cultivated my own spawn.  Don't think I'm up to it at this time.  I order shiitake plug spawn and that works for me on oak.  Can you supply Lentinus tigrinus plug spawn for cultivation on pine logs?  Would you recommend the train wrecker as a first choice for pine?  Is that plug spawn available?
      Thanks,
      Joe

      In a message dated 9/4/2012 9:05:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, aminitam@... writes:

      Joe, also try Lentinus tigrinus, it will grow on pines, you can probably find some in your area, they're fairly easy to get a culture going from.

      Jim

      --- In NAMA_mushroom_cultivation@yahoogroups.com, "ronspin" <ronspin@...> wrote:

      > Hey Joe,I've never tried cultivation on any conifers. I know Pleurotus
      > pulmonarius will work, but from you results, not that great. I think
      > Stamets has a herricium , maybe hericium abeiti, that will grow on
      > conifers. That's about all I know. The train Wrecker should work, and
      > if you have a culture of it--go for it. I think it's kinda tough as an
      > edible, but maybe the ones I tried were too old. Good luck!
      > Ron
      >

      > --- In NAMA_mushroom_cultivation@yahoogroups.com, jbhawk1@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I want to use the wood on site. Pine. I live in North Florida. The
      > logs
      > > will be are very large pine. Edible mushrooms are my goal. The
      > location
      > > is in my back yard, near my wood and brick home. I do not want the
      > > mushrooms to eat my home, but to eat something similar - pine wood.
      > I think I
      > > need an aggressive mushroom like the train wrecker. I have tried
      > the
      > > phoenix oyster, so far very small fruiting's that last only a half a
      > day. Your
      > > thoughts and recommendation are appreciated. Thanks.
      > >
      > > Joe

    • James Tunney
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2012
        Hey Joe, I'm going to make some Lentinus tigrinus dowel spawn and inoculate some Christmas trees. How much plug spawn were you looking for?

        I think train wrecker would work well,  don't know where you'd get spawn though. Do you ever see it growing where you live?

        Cheers,

        Jim

        To: NAMA_mushroom_cultivation@yahoogroups.com
        From: jbhawk1@...
        Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 19:37:32 -0500
        Subject: Re: [NAMA_mushroom_cultivation] Re: Hello Ron Spinosa: Pine tree log question

      • jbhawk1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2012
          Hello Jim,
          I could use 1000 plugs per shipment with a maximum of 10,000 plugs over time.  The pine trees will be cut after Christmas.  Should I wait a month or so before inoculating?

          I have collected and eaten the train wrecker.  I find it to be good and it would be my preference.  It's growing on a large living pine tree in my area.  Next time it fruits I can send it to you if you want.

          Thanks,
          Joe

          To: NAMA_mushroom_cultivation@yahoogroups.com
          From: jbhawk1@...
          Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 19:37:32 -0500

          Hello Jim,
          Thanks for the idea.  I have never cultivated my own spawn.  Don't think I'm up to it at this time.  I order shiitake plug spawn and that works for me on oak.  Can you supply Lentinus tigrinus plug spawn for cultivation on pine logs?  Would you recommend the train wrecker as a first choice for pine?  Is that plug spawn available?
          Thanks,
          Joe

          In a message dated 9/4/2012 9:05:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, aminitam@... writes:

          Joe, also try Lentinus tigrinus, it will grow on pines, you can probably find some in your area, they're fairly easy to get a culture going from.

          Jim

          --- In NAMA_mushroom_cultivation@yahoogroups.com, "ronspin" <ronspin@...> wrote:

          > Hey Joe,I've never tried cultivation on any conifers. I know Pleurotus
          > pulmonarius will work, but from you results, not that great. I think
          > Stamets has a herricium , maybe hericium abeiti, that will grow on
          > conifers. That's about all I know. The train Wrecker should work, and
          > if you have a culture of it--go for it. I think it's kinda tough as an
          > edible, but maybe the ones I tried were too old. Good luck!
          > Ron
          >

          > --- In NAMA_mushroom_cultivation@yahoogroups.com, jbhawk1@ wrote:
          > >
          > > I want to use the wood on site. Pine. I live in North Florida. The
          > logs
          > > will be are very large pine. Edible mushrooms are my goal. The
          > location
          > > is in my back yard, near my wood and brick home. I do not want the
          > > mushrooms to eat my home, but to eat something similar - pine wood.
          > I think I
          > > need an aggressive mushroom like the train wrecker. I have tried
          > the
          > > phoenix oyster, so far very small fruiting's that last only a half a
          > day. Your
          > > thoughts and recommendation are appreciated. Thanks.
          > >
          > > Joe

        • James Tunney
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2012
            Hey Joe, I would inoculate as soon as you can after you've cut them.

            I'd like a fruit if you can, and a spore print of the Train wrecker.

            Cheers,

            Jim

            To: NAMA_mushroom_cultivation@yahoogroups.com

            From: jbhawk1@...
            Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 19:37:32 -0500

          • jbhawk1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 6, 2012
              Hello Jim,
              I collected some dried train wrecker specimens from the base of the pine tree.  I have tried doing a print (with fresh specimens) but was not satisfied with the results.  I can try again when we have some rain.  If ever!!
              Thanks for your efforts as I know of no other source.  I plan to inoculate up to 15 large pine tree logs in time.
              Regards,
              Joe
              PS do you have pine plugs or is it better with hardwood plugs?

              To: NAMA_mushroom_cultivation@yahoogroups.com

              From: jbhawk1@...
              Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 19:37:32 -0500