Com Port limited to COM1-8?

  • svtdoug
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27, 2014
      Hi,

      New user here, or at least trying to be.  As you might imagine, I have many programs set up to use serial ports -  FLdigi, CW-Skimmer, WSJT-X, Log4OM logging program, OmniRig, HamPort, and VSPE serial port splitter, etc.  I have an elaborate COM port scheme.  Now I am interested in using N1MM for contests.  But as I see it, you are restricting me to using a COM port 8 and below.  My rig and all of these programs use COM9.  Please tell me this is not true.  Please tell me I don't have to reconfigure all of these other programs to allow N1MM to work.

      Thanks,

      Doug
      W7DRM

    • Tom Osborne

        Message 3 of 5 , May 27, 2014
          Yes, it is true.

          You may be able to move others to higher com port numbers, by some adjustment.  Take a few of those programs that recognize com port numbers higher than 8 and that will free up numbers below 8.

          You might also require some cleanup, and you can do that with the following.

          1. Click Start
          2. Click Run
          3. Type cmd.exe in the textbox and click OK
          4. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and hit ENTER
          5. Type cd\windows\system32 and hit ENTER
          6. Type start devmgmt.msc and hit ENTER
          7. When the device manager opens, click the View menu
          8. Click Show Hidden Devices
          9. Click on the + sign next to the Ports to see the full list of Com ports being used
          10. Highlight the port you wish to delete and then press delete
          Mike va3mw

          On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Tom Osborne w7why@... [N1MMLogger] <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

        • John Bednar
          Message 4 of 5 , May 27, 2014
            Doug,

            The current program is limited to com1 to com8. The good news is that changing a few program configurations should take less time than it took you to compose your email.

            John, K3CT

            On May 27, 2014, at 4:34 PM, "svtdoug@... [N1MMLogger]" <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Hi,

            New user here, or at least trying to be.  As you might imagine, I have many programs set up to use serial ports -  FLdigi, CW-Skimmer, WSJT-X, Log4OM logging program, OmniRig, HamPort, and VSPE serial port splitter, etc.  I have an elaborate COM port scheme.  Now I am interested in using N1MM for contests.  But as I see it, you are restricting me to using a COM port 8 and below.  My rig and all of these programs use COM9.  Please tell me this is not true.  Please tell me I don't have to reconfigure all of these other programs to allow N1MM to work.

            Thanks,

            Doug
            W7DRM

          • Pete Smith N4ZR
            Message 5 of 5 , May 28, 2014
              Specifically, see <http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Serial%2C+Parallel+and+Sound+Card+Interfacing&structure=N1MM+Logger+Documentation#Renumber_your_serial_ports> and the following section on exposing and deleting phantom ports.
              73, Pete N4ZR
              Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
              http://reversebeacon.net,
              blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.