N1MM Rotor - how to make it work?

  • Jim Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24 4:51 AM
      Trying to get this working without much luck.

      Rotor is a Ham M
      Controller is a Green Heron RT-21

      I've had this working before.

      Just installed MicroHam microKeyer II

      This involved changing all my COM port numbers to higher values to make
      room for MK-II virtual serial ports. I still have COM1, though, as this
      was the original on-board hardware serial port.

      I've checked device manager to ensure that they're all OK - no hidden ones

      I configured N1MMRotor in the usual way.

      I plugged the controller serial cable into COM1 and tried the program.
      I know this won't interface with N1MM but it's a stop-gap until I can
      get the MK-II working with it.

      I can enter headings and the rotor goes there. However, the antenna
      icon doesn't rotate. I would like it to do so in order to give an
      at-a-glance view of which way the beam is heading..

      Ideas?

      73, Jim VE7FO
    • Jim Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , May 24 4:31 PM
        > I know this won't interface with N1MM but it's a stop-gap until I can
        > get the MK-II working with it.

        Turns out I'm wrong about this. MK-II has nothing to do with it.

        I used Device Manager to check the baud rate of COM1. Green Heron RT21
        wants 4800 8N1. Turns out COM1 was set to 9600. Changed it to 4800.
        Oddly, this didn't help.

        I seem to remember that in the past we had to do something with UDP port
        12040 but don't see anywhere to enter this info.

        Oh, and ALT-J doesn't work.

        73, Jim VE7FO

        On 2014-05-24 04:51, Jim Smith wrote:
        > Trying to get this working without much luck.
        >
        > Rotor is a Ham M
        > Controller is a Green Heron RT-21
        >
        > I've had this working before.
        >
        > Just installed MicroHam microKeyer II
        >
        > This involved changing all my COM port numbers to higher values to make
        > room for MK-II virtual serial ports. I still have COM1, though, as this
        > was the original on-board hardware serial port.
        >
        > I've checked device manager to ensure that they're all OK - no hidden ones
        >
        > I configured N1MMRotor in the usual way.
        >
        > I plugged the controller serial cable into COM1 and tried the program.
        > I know this won't interface with N1MM but it's a stop-gap until I can
        > get the MK-II working with it.
        >
        > I can enter headings and the rotor goes there. However, the antenna
        > icon doesn't rotate. I would like it to do so in order to give an
        > at-a-glance view of which way the beam is heading..
        >
        > Ideas?
        >
        > 73, Jim VE7FO

      • Steve London
        Message 3 of 6 , May 24 6:22 PM
          Jim,

          I believe the Green Heron box talks directly to N1MM Logger. N1MM Rotor
          is not involved in this setup.
          You should contact Jeff, W2FU, owner of Green Heron. He is very
          knowledgeable about interfacing N1MM Logger to the Green Heron products.

          You shouldn't be changing the baud rate or COM port signalling in the
          Device Manager. I'm sure the Green Heron box takes care of that.

          73,
          Steve, N2IC

          On 05/24/2014 05:31 PM, Jim Smith jimsmith@... [N1MMLogger] wrote:
          > > I know this won't interface with N1MM but it's a stop-gap until I can
          > > get the MK-II working with it.
          >
          > Turns out I'm wrong about this. MK-II has nothing to do with it.
          >
          > I used Device Manager to check the baud rate of COM1. Green Heron RT21
          > wants 4800 8N1. Turns out COM1 was set to 9600. Changed it to 4800.
          > Oddly, this didn't help.
          >
          > I seem to remember that in the past we had to do something with UDP port
          > 12040 but don't see anywhere to enter this info.
          >
          > Oh, and ALT-J doesn't work.
          >
          > 73, Jim VE7FO
          >

          > On 2014-05-24 04:51, Jim Smith wrote:
          >> Trying to get this working without much luck.
          >>
          >> Rotor is a Ham M
          >> Controller is a Green Heron RT-21
          >>
          >> I've had this working before.
          >>
          >> Just installed MicroHam microKeyer II
          >>
          >> This involved changing all my COM port numbers to higher values to make
          >> room for MK-II virtual serial ports. I still have COM1, though, as this
          >> was the original on-board hardware serial port.
          >>
          >> I've checked device manager to ensure that they're all OK - no hidden ones
          >>
          >> I configured N1MMRotor in the usual way.
          >>
          >> I plugged the controller serial cable into COM1 and tried the program.
          >> I know this won't interface with N1MM but it's a stop-gap until I can
          >> get the MK-II working with it.
          >>
          >> I can enter headings and the rotor goes there. However, the antenna
          >> icon doesn't rotate. I would like it to do so in order to give an
          >> at-a-glance view of which way the beam is heading..
          >>
          >> Ideas?
          >>
          >> 73, Jim VE7FO

          > Yahoo Groups Links

        • Jim Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , May 26 12:15 AM
            First of all, it's working now like it used to. Replaced the serial cable!

            However, ALT-J still doesn't work. Seems to me others had problems with
            this. Was a fix ever found?

            73, Jim VE7FO

            On 2014-05-24 18:22, Steve London n2ic@... [N1MMLogger] wrote:
            > Jim,

            > I believe the Green Heron box talks directly to N1MM Logger. N1MM Rotor
            > is not involved in this setup.
            > You should contact Jeff, W2FU, owner of Green Heron. He is very
            > knowledgeable about interfacing N1MM Logger to the Green Heron products.
            >
            > You shouldn't be changing the baud rate or COM port signalling in the
            > Device Manager. I'm sure the Green Heron box takes care of that.
            >
            > 73,
            > Steve, N2IC
            >
            > On 05/24/2014 05:31 PM, Jim Smith jimsmith@... [N1MMLogger] wrote:
            >> > I know this won't interface with N1MM but it's a stop-gap until I can
            >> > get the MK-II working with it.
            >>
            >> Turns out I'm wrong about this. MK-II has nothing to do with it.
            >>
            >> I used Device Manager to check the baud rate of COM1. Green Heron RT21
            >> wants 4800 8N1. Turns out COM1 was set to 9600. Changed it to 4800.
            >> Oddly, this didn't help.
            >>
            >> I seem to remember that in the past we had to do something with UDP port
            >> 12040 but don't see anywhere to enter this info.
            >>
            >> Oh, and ALT-J doesn't work.
            >>
            >> 73, Jim VE7FO
            >>

            >> On 2014-05-24 04:51, Jim Smith wrote:
            >>> Trying to get this working without much luck.
            >>>
            >>> Rotor is a Ham M
            >>> Controller is a Green Heron RT-21
            >>>
            >>> I've had this working before.
            >>>
            >>> Just installed MicroHam microKeyer II
            >>>
            >>> This involved changing all my COM port numbers to higher values to make
            >>> room for MK-II virtual serial ports. I still have COM1, though, as this
            >>> was the original on-board hardware serial port.
            >>>
            >>> I've checked device manager to ensure that they're all OK - no hidden ones
            >>>
            >>> I configured N1MMRotor in the usual way.
            >>>
            >>> I plugged the controller serial cable into COM1 and tried the program.
            >>> I know this won't interface with N1MM but it's a stop-gap until I can
            >>> get the MK-II working with it.
            >>>
            >>> I can enter headings and the rotor goes there. However, the antenna
            >>> icon doesn't rotate. I would like it to do so in order to give an
            >>> at-a-glance view of which way the beam is heading..
            >>>
            >>> Ideas?
            >>>
            >>> 73, Jim VE7FO

            >> Yahoo Groups Links

            > Yahoo Groups Links

          • Steve London
            Message 5 of 6 , May 26 6:00 AM
              There is no "fix". It's not broken. Have you communicated with W2FU on
              the correct way to configure N1MM and the GH box ?

              73,
              Steve, N2IC

            • Russ Guidry SR
              Message 6 of 6 , May 26 3:19 PM

                Steve, I have noticed the same thing this weekend with 14.0.1 the N1MM rotor is picking up the direction but the “Alt J” key does not work.  I switched to PSTrotartorAZ and the tracking with “Alt J” worked fine.  Went back after resetting n1mm after time off and it worked fine for rest of contest.

                The com port was not asleep.  I have been using N1MM rotor and PST both for years but did see this issue this weekend.

                Thanks to all the team for a really great tool.

                Thanks, Russ K5OA