Cw/PTT Interfacing problem

  • ly2kz
    Message 1 of 6 , May 23, 2014
      Hello guys

      Just arrived to the shack for CQWPX and facing problem which may prevent from taking part in the contest. I use TS-590 and N1MM. CAT works fine. For CW/PTT I use CAT port. I can not start it working properly.
      If I set DTR-CW and RTS-PTT, I get PTT only, but no CW. What ever I do. After playing 2 hours I downloaded TR4W for testing and found what works is
      RTS-CW
      DTR-PTT

      I have two questions: I was able to work fine with same setup for many years, but not now. What may have happened? And, most importantly How should I solve this, because there is no option to set RTS for CW in N1MM
      Will appreciate your ideas. Thank you

      desperate Vytenis
      LY2KZ
    • Steve London
      Message 2 of 6 , May 23, 2014
        I don't understand how this could ever have worked for you.

        I have a pair of TS-590's. Unlike the Elecraft K3, the TS-590 does not
        support CW sending through the CAT RS-232 connector. You will need 2 COM
        ports on your computer - 1 for CAT radio control, and another for
        CW/PTT, which will need to be wired to the TS-590 KEY connector and the
        TS-590 REMOTE connector (for PTT). Make sure the the CW/Other box is NOT
        checked on the CAT COM port.

        73,
        Steve, N2IC

        On 05/23/2014 11:14 AM, vytenis.sciucka@... [N1MMLogger] wrote:

        > Hello guys
        >
        > Just arrived to the shack for CQWPX and facing problem which may prevent
        > from taking part in the contest. I use TS-590 and N1MM. CAT works fine.
        > For CW/PTT I use CAT port. I can not start it working properly.
        > If I set DTR-CW and RTS-PTT, I get PTT only, but no CW. What ever I do.
        > After playing 2 hours I downloaded TR4W for testing and found what works is
        > RTS-CW
        > DTR-PTT
        >
        > I have two questions: I was able to work fine with same setup for many
        > years, but not now. What may have happened? And, most importantly How
        > should I solve this, because there is no option to set RTS for CW in N1MM
        > Will appreciate your ideas. Thank you
        >
        > desperate Vytenis
        > LY2KZ

      • ly2kz
        Message 3 of 6 , May 23, 2014
          Steve, I may have not explained properly.
          CAT is sitting on virtual COM2 port. It is over USB.
          COM1 is used and always been on physical COM1.

          V.
        • ly2kz
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23, 2014
            I.e. I use COM-COM cable

            V.
          • Steve London
            Message 5 of 6 , May 23, 2014
              Is CW/Other checked only on COM1 ?
              Make sure that the Winkey checkbox is NOT selected.
              Make sure that the CW/PTT port address is 3F8.
              Make sure that the RadioNr is set to either 1 (SO1V) or Both (SO2V)
              Make sure that either SO1V or SO2V is selected.

              No problem here using DTR=CW.

              73,
              Steve, N2IC

              On 05/23/2014 11:58 AM, vytenis.sciucka@... [N1MMLogger] wrote:

              > Steve, I may have not explained properly.
              > CAT is sitting on virtual COM2 port. It is over USB.
              > COM1 is used and always been on physical COM1.
              >
              > V.

            • ly2kz
              Message 6 of 6 , May 23, 2014
                I will. Thank you.
                Worst case I probably can swap two wires in the cable socket.

                73, gl in the test

                Vytenis
                LY2KZ @LY2W