Question for DUPE

  • JT1CD
    Message 1 of 17 , May 21, 2014
      Hi all
      I am a new user for N1MM. Previously, I used TR4W. But I have a question. When appear DUPE station on TR4W, the program immediately transmits like "JT1F SRI QSO B4 TU". How to do it on the N1MM.
      Best 73

      Khosbayar.N
      JT1CD

    • kg5vksteve
      Message 2 of 17 , May 21, 2014
        Here is what the manual says...................

        14. Working Dupes
        The default is to work them if you are the CQing station, but not to call them if you are S&Ping. The
        theory behind working dupes while running is that it's faster to work them than it is to argue, and you
        might really not be in their log. If that is the case, and they submit a log, you'll lose points by not
        working them.
        The "work dupes" option in the Configurer is for ESM and running mode. All it does is determine what
        is sent when a dupe calls you AND YOU PRESS ENTER.
        When using Enter Send Message (ESM) mode the behavior is as follows:
         In S&P using ESM, if you press Enter with a dupe call in the Entry window nothing will happen
        (intentional), but you can always work him by pressing F4 instead.
         In Run, using ESM, with "Work Dupes" checked, when you press Enter you will send his call
        sign and the exchange whether he is a dupe or not. If you want to send "QSO B4" you can just
        press F6 instead.
         If you don't have "Work Dupes" checked, then to work a dupe in Run mode you will have to
        press F5 and then F2 to send his call sign and the exchange; pressing Enter will send the F6
        message.
        All that being said, you can work dupes in either situation (Run and S&P) by pressing the F-keys.
        A goal of the program is to promote good operating. Working dupes while running is good operating.
        That's why work dupes is the DEFAULT. It is an option because an argument was made that in a long
        exchange contest like SS, you might not want to automatically work dupes.
        What I suspect happened is that someone turned work dupes off while playing with the program. This
        is a complicated program. Changing options that you don't know the meaning of can lead to a lot of
        confusion. My advice is:
        1. Get the program working with your equipment
        2. Save the ini file
        3. Play with the options
        4. Discard that ini file and revert to the one from step 2
        5. Change any options you feel you truly understand and want changed
        6. If an option doesn't seem to "do anything" — watch out! You might want to set it back to the
        original setting

        We always work the dupes but that is your choice !

        cheers!
        steve
        KG5VK
      • rich_ve3ki
        Message 3 of 17 , May 21, 2014
          1. If you are the CQing station, in most cases you should just work the dupe. Quite possibly the reason he called you is that you are not in his log, so you won't get credit for the earlier QSO, and in some contests you can lose penalty points as well for a NIL. Working him again removes the possibility of a NIL, and does not hurt your score (there are no penalty points for dupes). You might make an exception for this in contests with a very long exchange, or when the same station calls you for the third or fourth time. For similar reasons, never delete duplicate contacts from your log.

          2. If you insist on not working dupes, open the Configurer, select the Function Keys tab, and UNcheck the option called "Work dupes when running". You will also have to program your QSO B4 message into the QSO B4 key (normally F6). If you do both of these and you are using ESM, pressing Enter with a dupe call sign in the entry window will send the QSO B4 message.

          3. If you are the S&Ping station and you are using ESM, pressing Enter will not send your call sign to a CQing station who would be a dupe. You can override this by pressing F4 instead of Enter.

          73,
          Rich VE3KI
        • JT1CD
          Message 4 of 17 , May 21, 2014
            Thank you very much for your kind reply.
            I asked for only contest mode. Also my Rig not connected with PC.

            Best 73

            Khosbayar.N
            JT1CD

            On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 1:12 AM, ve3ki@... [N1MMLogger] <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

          • scottpa1960
            Message 5 of 17 , May 21, 2014
              I ask this question in every contest. If someone is a dupe, why not work them again and log it? Sure, they might be in your log already, but you're not in theirs and neither of you will get credit for the QSO. Please consider just working them again and keep the flow going for the next person waiting to work you. This QSO B4 QRZ? has bothered me for years.

              Scott
              KN3A
            • Dale Putnam
              Message 6 of 17 , May 21, 2014
                some folks take serious offense at being told "QSO B4"...
                Serious offense... to the extent that they will go hunt for the original Qso.. and make sure it isn't in the log.
                Maybe it is a dupe for you... maybe it is a mistyped call on their part.. so NOW you get credit... and if they are a mult..
                it counts for sure now, only after you work them the "second time"....
                and the cost?... Priceless.

                On the other hand... you can turn in a "golden Log"... with no dupes... no wasted time... no extra mults or extra Qs with small pistol stations..
                or ops that aren't just perfect in skills. Never been there?   right!

                Have a great day,

                --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

              • W0MU Mike Fatchett
                Message 7 of 17 , May 22, 2014
                  Just work the guy again.  It is faster and if your first contact was a bust on his end you will not lose his qso or mult.

                  QSO B4 should never be used.
                  Mike W0MU

                  On 5/21/2014 9:29 AM, JT1CD jt1cd.Khos@... [N1MMLogger] wrote:
                  Hi all
                  I am a new user for N1MM. Previously, I used TR4W. But I have a question. When appear DUPE station on TR4W, the program immediately transmits like "JT1F SRI QSO B4 TU". How to do it on the N1MM.
                  Best 73

                  Khosbayar.N
                  JT1CD

                • Ken Chandler
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 22, 2014
                    Mike
                    The chap is asking how to do it with N1MM, not just work him!!!!

                    Ken.. G0ORH

                    Sent from my iPad

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 22, 2014
                      I will say it again............

                      The manual tells you how to set it up so it will tell them QSO B4
                      if that is what u really want...............

                      ESM is affected by two options in the Configurer under the Function Keys tab:
                      • the "ESM sends your call once in S&P, then ready to copy received exchange" check box (sometimes called the "Big Gun" option)
                      • the "Work dupes when running" check box (recommended)

                      In your case go to cofig under function keys tab and Un check the work the dupes Box

                      then it will tell me we QSO B4 when I try and work u again and u are using ESM (enter sends message)

                      cheers!

                      steve

                      KG5VK

                    • Michael Adams
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 22, 2014

                        If using ESM, if you’re running, enter a dupe call, and leave the exchange field blank, [Enter] will send whatever’s assigned to F6 (e.g. “! QSO B4”) unless you have the logger configured to work dupes.

                        If you populate the exchange field, ESM will do the regular exchange.

                        If you’re not using ESM, you should consider it, and you can assign any macro button to a B4 message.  (F6 being the default B4 button)

                        But… I agree that the real answer when running is to simply work the dupes, and don’t worry about needing B4 functionality.

                        --
                        Michael Adams | N1EN | mda@...

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 23, 2014
                          This is the kind of "smirky answer" which irritates the person asking,
                          gives no definitive answer, and suggests the person learns how to
                          navigate a very bulky manual which often is not properly indexed. It
                          also may "turn off" a would be contester.

                          A much better answer would be a reference to a page number, or a
                          verbatim quote from the manual.

                          Is it too much to have consideration for a newbie who is trying to learn
                          a very complicated new package of software?

                          Now I head for the closet to put on my asbestos suit and then retreat to
                          the nuclear bomb shelter which was built in the 60's.

                          72/73 de n8xx Hg
                          QRP >99.44% of the time

                          On 5/23/2014 3:47 AM, N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                          > The manual tells you how to set it up so it will tell them QSO B4 if that is what u really want...............
                        • bob_naumann
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 23, 2014
                            Hank,

                            While I think I understand your intent here, I can't help but wonder what
                            value your criticism brings to the discussion or how it helps the new
                            user?

                            Why didn't you provide a "reference to a page number, or a verbatim quote
                            from the manual" instead of wasting everyone's time with this worthless
                            critique?

                            I'm mixed on this type of thing, as I cannot imagine why new users should
                            be exempt from making a minimal effort to find out things on their own.
                            Why not tell the new user *how* to find the answer?

                            For example, I went to Google, typed in N1MM QSO B4 and I was presented
                            with several links that find QSO B4 on the N1MM web page; specifically:

                            http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Tips+and+Tricks

                            Is this really too difficult for a new user to figure out?

                            If I could make a suggestion, in the future, if you feel the need to
                            append an inane reference to an imaginary asbestos suit at the end of your
                            email, you probably should hit the delete key and not send it.

                            73,

                            Bob W5OV

                            On Fri, May 23, 2014 7:29 am, Hank Greeb n8xx@... [N1MMLogger] wrote:
                            > This is the kind of "smirky answer" which irritates the person asking,
                            > gives no definitive answer, and suggests the person learns how to navigate
                            > a very bulky manual which often is not properly indexed. It also may
                            > "turn off" a would be contester.
                            >

                            > A much better answer would be a reference to a page number, or a
                            > verbatim quote from the manual.
                            >

                            > Is it too much to have consideration for a newbie who is trying to learn
                            > a very complicated new package of software?
                            >

                            > Now I head for the closet to put on my asbestos suit and then retreat to
                            > the nuclear bomb shelter which was built in the 60's.
                            >

                            > 72/73 de n8xx Hg
                            > QRP >99.44% of the time
                            >

                            > On 5/23/2014 3:47 AM, N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                            >
                            >> The manual tells you how to set it up so it will tell them QSO B4 if
                            >> that is what u really want...............

                            > Yahoo Groups Links

                          • Tom Osborne

                              Message 14 of 17 , May 23, 2014
                                Both Hank's and Bob's comments have merit. I lean toward agreeing more with Hank's point of view only because of my own experience in learning how to use N1MM. Had I not received the help that I did from a few Elmers (and cheerfully given, at that) I probably would still be running TR on an old dinosaur of a DOS computer.

                                My $.02.

                                K0SN

                                On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM, W5OV@... [N1MMLogger] <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                Hank,

                                While I think I understand your intent here, I can't help but wonder what
                                value your criticism brings to the discussion or how it helps the new
                                user?

                                Why didn't you provide a "reference to a page number, or a verbatim quote
                                from the manual" instead of wasting everyone's time with this worthless
                                critique?

                                I'm mixed on this type of thing, as I cannot imagine why new users should
                                be exempt from making a minimal effort to find out things on their own.
                                Why not tell the new user *how* to find the answer?

                                For example, I went to Google, typed in N1MM QSO B4 and I was presented
                                with several links that find QSO B4 on the N1MM web page; specifically:

                                http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Tips+and+Tricks

                                Is this really too difficult for a new user to figure out?

                                If I could make a suggestion, in the future, if you feel the need to
                                append an inane reference to an imaginary asbestos suit at the end of your
                                email, you probably should hit the delete key and not send it.

                                73,

                                Bob W5OV

                                On Fri, May 23, 2014 7:29 am, Hank Greeb n8xx@... [N1MMLogger] wrote:
                                > This is the kind of "smirky answer" which irritates the person asking,
                                > gives no definitive answer, and suggests the person learns how to navigate
                                > a very bulky manual which often is not properly indexed. It also may
                                > "turn off" a would be contester.
                                >

                                > A much better answer would be a reference to a page number, or a
                                > verbatim quote from the manual.
                                >

                                > Is it too much to have consideration for a newbie who is trying to learn
                                > a very complicated new package of software?
                                >

                                > Now I head for the closet to put on my asbestos suit and then retreat to
                                > the nuclear bomb shelter which was built in the 60's.
                                >

                                > 72/73 de n8xx Hg
                                > QRP >99.44% of the time
                                >

                                > On 5/23/2014 3:47 AM, N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                >
                                >> The manual tells you how to set it up so it will tell them QSO B4 if
                                >> that is what u really want...............

                                > Yahoo Groups Links

                              • W0MU Mike Fatchett
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 23, 2014
                                  I believe there were no less than two or three quotes directly out of
                                  the manual as well. Maybe XX should read all the posts and not
                                  concentrate on the one so called snarky post????

                                  Mike W0MU

                                  On 5/23/2014 9:27 AM, W5OV@... [N1MMLogger] wrote:
                                  > Hank,
                                  >
                                  > While I think I understand your intent here, I can't help but wonder what
                                  > value your criticism brings to the discussion or how it helps the new
                                  > user?
                                  >
                                  > Why didn't you provide a "reference to a page number, or a verbatim quote
                                  > from the manual" instead of wasting everyone's time with this worthless
                                  > critique?
                                  >
                                  > I'm mixed on this type of thing, as I cannot imagine why new users should
                                  > be exempt from making a minimal effort to find out things on their own.
                                  > Why not tell the new user *how* to find the answer?
                                  >
                                  > For example, I went to Google, typed in N1MM QSO B4 and I was presented
                                  > with several links that find QSO B4 on the N1MM web page; specifically:
                                  >
                                  > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Tips+and+Tricks
                                  >
                                  > Is this really too difficult for a new user to figure out?
                                  >
                                  > If I could make a suggestion, in the future, if you feel the need to
                                  > append an inane reference to an imaginary asbestos suit at the end of your
                                  > email, you probably should hit the delete key and not send it.
                                  >
                                  > 73,
                                  >
                                  > Bob W5OV
                                  >

                                  > On Fri, May 23, 2014 7:29 am, Hank Greeb n8xx@... [N1MMLogger] wrote:
                                  >> This is the kind of "smirky answer" which irritates the person asking,
                                  >> gives no definitive answer, and suggests the person learns how to navigate
                                  >> a very bulky manual which often is not properly indexed. It also may
                                  >> "turn off" a would be contester.
                                  >>

                                  >> A much better answer would be a reference to a page number, or a
                                  >> verbatim quote from the manual.
                                  >>

                                  >> Is it too much to have consideration for a newbie who is trying to learn
                                  >> a very complicated new package of software?
                                  >>

                                  >> Now I head for the closet to put on my asbestos suit and then retreat to
                                  >> the nuclear bomb shelter which was built in the 60's.
                                  >>

                                  >> 72/73 de n8xx Hg
                                  >> QRP >99.44% of the time
                                  >>

                                  >> On 5/23/2014 3:47 AM, N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>> The manual tells you how to set it up so it will tell them QSO B4 if
                                  >>> that is what u really want...............

                                  >> Yahoo Groups Links

                                  > Yahoo Groups Links

                                • Chester Alderman
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 23, 2014

                                    I don’t believe Hank has ever posted anything of real relevance to N1MM Logger. Most of his post is personal related and totally unrelated to operating the program for contesting.

                                    There certainly is merit in helping new users, however IMO new users MUST be willing to put in SOME EFFORT on their own to find solutions to their problem. Just jumping on the reflector and yelling “How do I….” most of the time should be answered by ‘please go RTFM’. Folks who don’t think the user manual doesn’t meet their own personal taste, (Hank again!), should volunteer to write the manual in a manner that is suitable to them.

                                    The guys who help N1MM produce the Logger are all volunteers, meaning they get no pay for the extended efforts they put in. Therefore, IMO, if one doesn’t like the way something is done, they really need to keep quiet or themselves volunteer their services to solve the ‘problem’.

                                    I say that the volunteers get no pay for their work, but N1MM is now threating us with N1MM Plus costing at least double the cost of the present N1MM logger!

                                    ‘Smirky’ Tom – W4BQF

                                    Both Hank's and Bob's comments have merit. I lean toward agreeing more with Hank's point of view only because of my own experience in learning how to use N1MM. Had I not received the help that I did from a few Elmers (and cheerfully given, at that) I probably would still be running TR on an old dinosaur of a DOS computer.

                                    My $.02.

                                    K0SN

                                    On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM, W5OV@... [N1MMLogger] <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                    Hank,

                                    While I think I understand your intent here, I can't help but wonder what
                                    value your criticism brings to the discussion or how it helps the new
                                    user?

                                    Why didn't you provide a "reference to a page number, or a verbatim quote
                                    from the manual" instead of wasting everyone's time with this worthless
                                    critique?

                                    I'm mixed on this type of thing, as I cannot imagine why new users should
                                    be exempt from making a minimal effort to find out things on their own.
                                    Why not tell the new user *how* to find the answer?

                                    For example, I went to Google, typed in N1MM QSO B4 and I was presented
                                    with several links that find QSO B4 on the N1MM web page; specifically:

                                    http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Tips+and+Tricks

                                    Is this really too difficult for a new user to figure out?

                                    If I could make a suggestion, in the future, if you feel the need to
                                    append an inane reference to an imaginary asbestos suit at the end of your
                                    email, you probably should hit the delete key and not send it.

                                    73,

                                    Bob W5OV

                                    On Fri, May 23, 2014 7:29 am, Hank Greeb n8xx@... [N1MMLogger] wrote:
                                    > This is the kind of "smirky answer" which irritates the person asking,
                                    > gives no definitive answer, and suggests the person learns how to navigate
                                    > a very bulky manual which often is not properly indexed. It also may
                                    > "turn off" a would be contester.
                                    >

                                    > A much better answer would be a reference to a page number, or a
                                    > verbatim quote from the manual.
                                    >

                                    > Is it too much to have consideration for a newbie who is trying to learn
                                    > a very complicated new package of software?
                                    >

                                    > Now I head for the closet to put on my asbestos suit and then retreat to
                                    > the nuclear bomb shelter which was built in the 60's.
                                    >

                                    > 72/73 de n8xx Hg
                                    > QRP >99.44% of the time
                                    >

                                    > On 5/23/2014 3:47 AM, N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> The manual tells you how to set it up so it will tell them QSO B4 if
                                    >> that is what u really want...............

                                    > Yahoo Groups Links

                                  • Wayne Kline
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 23, 2014
                                      The notion that there is no dumb question ,has its merit, but and I hate to use that word!
                                      Some times it is easer to have some one else hand hold you through the process.
                                      Gosh I for one am thankful for the  faithful who have responded to my queries.
                                      After a google search and failed attempts .

                                      MY .02

                                      Wayne W3EA
                                      Sent from my iPad