ic7000 interface

  • CFY
    Message 1 of 12 , May 13, 2014
      Anybody have luck with home brewing a rig-cat interface for N1MM using PC serial (DB9) cable connection?  I'm coming to the conclusion that the IC CT-17 is my best bet to be ready for FD.  I'm concerned about learning the hard way that incorrect interface signal levels can frag the rig.
    • GORDON BROWN
      Message 2 of 12 , May 13, 2014
        I wonder why you need an interface when a USB cable is all you need between the PC and the IC-7200.
        73 Gordon G3MZV

      • b355_etude
        Message 3 of 12 , May 13, 2014
          The ic-7000 has no USB, just a mini stereo jack in which expects CI-V protocol for rig cat.  Also, N1MM Supported Rigs section says all (or nearly all) ICOM radios need the CI-V or a clone.<< That schematic has a lot of parts.  Also, need separate serial interface for cw keying (winkeyer or clone).  Last but not least, my experience is that USB may or may not be flaky, depending on vendor and OS.  I can troubleshoot rs-232 with a breakout box.

          My main concern is getting proper signal levels from the PC to the rig.  Experimentation seems risky, so I'm looking for a confirmed sighting with the IC-7000.
        • GORDON BROWN
          Message 4 of 12 , May 13, 2014
            Sorry - I'd just left the IC-7200 site and wrongly assumed you were using an IC-7200.
            Attention to detail reduces with age.
            73 Gordon.

          • CFY
            Message 5 of 12 , May 13, 2014
              rr. I'm bucking the trend with the rs-232 fixation, but appreciate the advice anyway.  73, chuck

              Sorry - I'd just left the IC-7200 site and wrongly assumed you were using an IC-7200.
              Attention to detail reduces with age.
              73 Gordon.

            • Mike Heitmann
              Message 6 of 12 , May 13, 2014
                If your PC has a USB port you might try this one:
                It works very well.

                Make sure you get the 5V TTL version of the cable instead of the RS232 version.

                The cables are about $24 each.

                Mike, N0SO

                On May 13, 2014, at 4:53 AM, "CFY b355_etude@... [N1MMLogger]" <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                Anybody have luck with home brewing a rig-cat interface for N1MM using PC serial (DB9) cable connection?  I'm coming to the conclusion that the IC CT-17 is my best bet to be ready for FD.  I'm concerned about learning the hard way that incorrect interface signal levels can frag the rig.

              • Tom Z
                Message 7 of 12 , May 13, 2014
                  All you need for the IC-7000 is a cheap CI-V/USB cable. I think I got one on eBay. I see them there now - some for $20, some for less than $10 If you want to add CW Keying, you need to use a second port on the computer and a one-transistor driver.

                  Pretty simple.

                  73,

                  Tom, KG3V

                  On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 8:00 AM, b355_etude@... [N1MMLogger] <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  The ic-7000 has no USB, just a mini stereo jack in which expects CI-V protocol for rig cat.  Also, N1MM Supported Rigs section says all (or nearly all) ICOM radios need the CI-V or a clone.<< That schematic has a lot of parts.  Also, need separate serial interface for cw keying (winkeyer or clone).  Last but not least, my experience is that USB may or may not be flaky, depending on vendor and OS.  I can troubleshoot rs-232 with a breakout box.

                  My main concern is getting proper signal levels from the PC to the rig.  Experimentation seems risky, so I'm looking for a confirmed sighting with the IC-7000.

                • Bill Turner
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 13, 2014
                    ORIGINAL MESSAGE: (may be snipped)

                    On 5/13/2014 7:01 PM, Tom Z kg3vtomz@... [N1MMLogger] wrote:
                    > All you need for the IC-7000 is a cheap CI-V/USB cable. I think I got
                    > one on eBay. I see them there now - some for $20, some for less than
                    > $10 If you want to add CW Keying, you need to use a second port on the
                    > computer and a one-transistor driver.
                    >
                    > Pretty simple.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    >
                    > Tom, KG3V

                    REPLY:

                    Be careful about ad descriptions on eBay. There are two kinds of CI-V
                    cables that look a lot alike: Interface cables and programming cables.
                    The one you want is the interface cable. Even then, be careful. I bought
                    one once that was advertised as an interface cable but it was actually
                    the other one.

                    73, Bill W6WRT
                    dezrat@...
                  • Frank
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 13, 2014

                      For all CAT users (not only IC-7000 owners J) , you should buy this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUCCI-T-Simple-USB-CAT-CW-Interface-for-Yaesu-Icom-or-Kenwood-rigs-TTL-levels-/281265170609 It has built in isolated CAT-control, PTT-port, CW-key-port & footswitch-port using the very best FTDI-chipset all controlled from 1 USB-connection!

                      I have one myself and it works perfect with the IC-7000, I don’t have any commercial connections to builder/seller inSofia!

                      More information also on his website: http://www.kotarov.com/projects/succi

                      73 de Frank PH2M

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 14, 2014
                        Frank  PH2M or others,

                        I am curious.   Does the Succi-T interface support digital modes?   FSK-RTTY?    or   AFSK modes?

                        Looks very attractive.

                        73,

                         Jerry    K7VIT

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 14, 2014
                          Neither - it provides CAT, CW and PTT. There is no FSK output
                          and no audio connection.

                          73,

                          ... Joe, W4TV

                        • Frank
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 14, 2014

                            No the Succi supports no/doesn’t have a soundcard (not for that amount of money J), only supports CAT-control + external PTT, external CW & Footswitch input.

                            Best regards / 73 de Frank PH2M