Re: N1MM Sneak Preview

  • Hank Greeb
    Message 1 of 21 , May 10 5:40 PM
      Lettuce C:

      Since you asked for examples:

      One of the very unintuitive things about N1MM is that there's no "pull
      down" menu for changing bands. Every other software package I've used
      had a menu for bands and another for modes. With N1MM, when you
      initialize a new contest, you're presented with 14025 KHz CW Manual in
      the position above the entry blocks, no indication as to how to change
      bands, etc. It might be better if it said "IF your NOT on 20 meter Corn
      Whiskey, you idiot, you gotta put a frequency in the "call" entry box -
      IT's is hidden deep in the documentation, you dunce, why don't you read it"

      Note: If all those words wouldn't fit, maybe it could start up with the
      frequency in the "Call" box with a question mark after it? or something
      which would advise the neophyte what to do?

      Maybe an ALT F1 for "help" to bring up a "Cliff notes view" of how to
      start and operate a contest?

      This woud be something other than the normal documentation. That
      documentation is written by and for the experts. Nowadaze, if I get
      stumped on some "feature" of N1MM I send a note to one of my "Elmers"
      rather than trying to find the answer in the documentation. More than
      once one of these "elmers" has said "What's in the documentation DOES
      seem quite confusing." The docs have gotten a bit better over the past
      two or three years, and I sometimes (rarely) can find an answer on my
      own, but it's much easier just to ask a patient friend. When I first
      started with N1MM I didn't have such an Elmer, and the most prevalent
      answer to my question was "Read the docs, stupid, it's all there!" I'll
      admit the tone of my questions were often pejorative, because I was
      frustrated much of the time with the $#@#& software which didn't make sense.

      Now, below are some things which bug me - even after learning the
      software over the past 3 to 5 years:
      =======================
      Why is it that, without doing anything consciously, the computer goes
      from "S&P" to "running" and it starts sending something totally
      different that I'm expecting.?

      Why is it that, without notice, the CW function keys stop working (i.e.
      it seems to go into RTTY or SSB or something) even though it isn't
      connected to the rig (My ancient Drake TR-5 doesn't have a serial interface.

      Other things happen which I can't document, because I'm in the heat of a
      contest and don't take time to do an analysis. I either turn N1MM
      logger off, and bring it back up, which "usually" fixes the problem, or
      go away, drink a cuppa cafe or sometimes a brown 807 or stronger, and
      come back, to bash my computer to bits (figuratively). A couple times
      I've made an ADI File, and imported it into GenLog or N3FJP's version,
      where strange things seldom, if ever, happen.

      But, since our radio club has adopted N1MM for Field Day and other
      logging, I figure I need to use it, because most other ops don't care to
      know even the basics of the software, they just use what is presented to
      them and ask for help if something goes awry (as it does enough times to
      require an expert on each shift).

      I'm sure I get what I pay for, and I'm too cheep to buy some of the
      other software which co$t$ $$'s. When I mention glitches I'm beaten
      down ingloriously, because here (and elsewhere) we must ONLY praise the
      software on pain of banishment or worsel

      72/73 de n8xx Hg
      QRP >99.44% of the time

      On 5/10/2014 3:48 PM,"Terry Burbidge" terryburbidge@...
      g4mkp wrote:
      > 2.7. Re: N1MM+ Sneak Preview Posted by: "Terry Burbidge"
      > terryburbidge@... g4mkp Date: Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 am
      > ((PDT)) Dear OM, I'm not sure what 'Big Gun' operators use that is
      > different from what I use and I'm certainly no big gun. What I try to
      > do is to master the shortcuts and manipulate every feature that I use
      > thus reducing thinking time. It takes lots of practice and leaving it
      > until a contest to practice is probably a bit late if you are worried
      > about making mistakes. Other OMs are excited about the next generation
      > of N1MM on what they've seen - albeit only one part of the application
      > - in the sneak preview and, on the face of it, it's easy to see why.
      > It looks good. What would help the developers of this free software is
      > you listing the intuitive features that you feel are lacking in the
      > current version. However, an
      > 'anti-hitting-the-wrong-key-rescue-button' feature is probably a wish
      > too far. Cheers, Terry/G4MKP
    • Chester Alderman
      Message 2 of 21 , May 10 6:23 PM
        N8xx.....did your mother have any children that lived?

        Tom - W4BQF

> [...]

        > terryburbidge@... g4mkp Date: Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 am
        > ((PDT)) Dear OM, I'm not sure what 'Big Gun' operators use that is
        > different from what I use and I'm certainly no big gun. What I try to
        > do is to master the shortcuts and manipulate every feature that I use
        > thus reducing thinking time. It takes lots of practice and leaving it
        > until a contest to practice is probably a bit late if you are worried
        > about making mistakes. Other OMs are excited about the next generation
        > of N1MM on what they've seen - albeit only one part of the application
        > - in the sneak preview and, on the face of it, it's easy to see why.
        > It looks good. What would help the developers of this free software is
        > you listing the intuitive features that you feel are lacking in the
        > current version. However, an
        > 'anti-hitting-the-wrong-key-rescue-button' feature is probably a wish

        Yahoo Groups Links
      • rjguidrysr
        Message 3 of 21 , May 10 6:47 PM
          Priceless

> [...]

          > terryburbidge@... g4mkp Date: Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 am
          > ((PDT)) Dear OM, I'm not sure what 'Big Gun' operators use that is
          > different from what I use and I'm certainly no big gun. What I try to
          > do is to master the shortcuts and manipulate every feature that I use
          > thus reducing thinking time. It takes lots of practice and leaving it
          > until a contest to practice is probably a bit late if you are worried
          > about making mistakes. Other OMs are excited about the next generation
          > of N1MM on what they've seen - albeit only one part of the application
          > - in the sneak preview and, on the face of it, it's easy to see why.
          > It looks good. What would help the developers of this free software is
          > you listing the intuitive features that you feel are lacking in the
          > current version. However, an
          > 'anti-hitting-the-wrong-key-rescue-button' feature is probably a wish

          Yahoo Groups Links

          Yahoo Groups
          DMARC related changes in Groups emails
          Following recent changes in Yahoo DMARC policy, we made changes to how Yahoo Groups sends mails

          Just launched ! Link preview on Yahoo Groups
          Visit your Group on the web, simply paste the link to the article, photo or video you wish to share in the message you are composing.

        • Robert Chudek - K0RC
          Message 4 of 21 , May 10 7:12 PM
            Tom, W4BQF, that was uncalled for!

            Seasoned N1MM users and computer geeks will find the software fairly "intuitive" because of their careers in computers and contesting. I suggest the development team not throw the baby out with the bath water regarding Hg's comments. The software should be developed to incorporate ideas that help the new user get started and up to speed. Listening to the comments of people just starting out or who have minimal exposure to contesting can trigger fresh ideas for consideration.

            I have experienced the "I know what I want to do, but I don't know the process to get it done" frustration many times. Take either Adobe Photoshop or Dreamweaver as an example. I may want to apply a gradient tint to a text box, but it is not intuitive what to do by looking at the project on the screen. However, with those applications, you can usually Google the phrase and there will be a couple dozen articles and a handful of YouTube videos that will quickly guide you through the steps.

            Certainly Larry, K8UT, has helped greatly in this regard with the videos he has produced. I can imagine (hope) he will be busy making new videos in support of the N1MM Logger Plus too.

            73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

            Message 5 of 21 , May 10 8:13 PM
              I agree,
              And for the most part because this program IS so awesome, It does indeed have a learning curve to it. And again because it is sooo awesome any text based help files are incredibly complex just like the program itself.

              And thats where this group is soo incredibly different than any software group I have ever encountered.

              And new converts come along and are lost. a simple question here ususally gets them the answer they need, even tho the question may have been asked a hundred times already and answered that many times also, 99% of the time it is answered niceny for the 101st time.

              Awesome Group!

              Joe WB9SBD
              Sig
              The Original Rolling Ball Clock
              Idle Tyme
              Idle-Tyme.com
              http://www.idle-tyme.com

              Message 6 of 21 , May 11 2:44 AM
                This is the type of responses which really, truly endeared me to N1MM
                software when I was learning how to use it.

                72/73 de n8xx Hg
                QRP >99.44% of the time

                p.s. When I was born, both mother and I were quite ill. The family
                story is that she pulled through quite well.

                On 5/11/2014 1:28 AM, "Chester Alderman" <aldermant@...> wrote:
                > 5b. Re: N1MM Sneak Preview
                > Posted by: "Chester Alderman"aldermant@... chestertus
                > Date: Sat May 10, 2014 6:23 pm ((PDT))
                >
                > N8xx.....did your mother have any children that lived?
                >
                > Tom - W4BQF
              • Hank Greeb
                Message 7 of 21 , May 11 2:58 AM
                  I agree that the software is complex. But I don't see why the text based
                  help file have to be written only for the people who know how to use it.

                  How about "N1MM for Dummies"?
                  Or "Clif notes for the N1MM neophyte?"
                  Or, "What you ever wanted to know about N1MM software but were afraid to
                  ask?"

                  I suspect that the vast majority of the people in this forum are well
                  intentioned. But, there are enough "snarky" folks who like to "put
                  down" the beginner who doesn't ask a question in an "approved manner"
                  which can and does turn off a newbie.

                  72/73 de n8xx Hg
                  QRP >99.44% of the time

                  On 5/11/2014 1:28 AM, "Joe" <nss@...> wrote:
                  > 5e. Re: N1MM Sneak Preview
                  > Posted by: "Joe"nss@... nssdz
                  > Date: Sat May 10, 2014 8:14 pm ((PDT))
                  >
                  > I agree, And for the most part because this program IS so awesome, It does indeed have a learning curve to it. And again because it is sooo awesome any text based help files are incredibly complex just like the program itself.
                  >
                  > And thats where this group is soo incredibly different than any software
                  > group I have ever encountered.
                • Pete Smith N4ZR
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 11 3:13 AM
                    I wonder if Hank has looked at the Getting Started section of the user manual.  It began life 6-7 years ago as a stand-alone Quick Start Guide and went through several evolutions before reaching its present state.  The whole idea was to get new users to at least a minimal proficiency, reasonably quickly.

                    From there on, we have tried hard to make sure that page titles and sub-headings are amenable to searching, often using several near-synonyms to make things more findable
                    .  The wiki engine's search capability is also much improved over earlier versions.
                    73, Pete N4ZR
                    Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                    http://reversebeacon.net,
                    blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                    For spots, please go to your favorite
                    ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

                         Date: Sat May 10, 2014 8:14 pm ((PDT))

                    I agree, And for the most part because this program IS so awesome, It does indeed have a learning curve to it. And again because it is sooo awesome any text based help files are incredibly complex just like the program itself.

                    And thats where this group is soo incredibly different than any software
                    group I have ever encountered.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        N1MMLogger-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        N1MMLogger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  • Chester Alderman
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 11 4:16 AM

                      The reason for my comment to N8XX and Joe, was because their post showed it was easier to complain rather than doing what the rest of us have done, which is at least TRY to read the documentation. In Joe’s case, this is not the forum for ‘fixing’ Microsoft issues. In N8XX’s case, if he had even attempted to find ‘band change’ issues, he would easily have found out there are more than three ways to change bands, 1) with your xcvr, 2) entering frequency in the Call window, 3) using the Available Mults window. Drop down menu’s only have a use in older programs!

                      As we all know, and applaud, the VOLUNTEER programmers that GIVE us this excellent contest program really do have a personal life and they probably give up a lot of that ‘personal life’ time to write code for us to use. I hope they never have to go to the point of ‘spoon feeding’ users who do not wish to put in the effort to even read the very good documentation that tells one everything they need to know in terms of using N1MM Logger.

                      The programmers put in a huge personal effort to give us this program, the least we, as users, can do is stop complaining and put in some effort to read the documentation they have provided for us. If the documentation is not written exactly to suit one or two persons wishes, perhaps flower gardening would be a good alternative to this hobby.

                      Tom – W4BQF

                           Date: Sat May 10, 2014 8:14 pm ((PDT))

                      I agree, And for the most part because this program IS so awesome, It does indeed have a learning curve to it. And again because it is sooo awesome any text based help files are incredibly complex just like the program itself.

                      And thats where this group is soo incredibly different than any software
                      group I have ever encountered.

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          N1MMLogger-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          N1MMLogger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    • Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 11 5:16 AM
                        Hank,

                        Your frustration with the massive documentation is certainly understandable.
                        I also have trouble locating some obscure feature in the documentation and
                        end up trying a variety of search expressions on the website or in the PDF
                        to find what I am looking for (and I likely wrote the piece!). With any
                        documentation the authors face the dilemma of writing a tutorial versus a
                        reference manual, and in our case, due to the complexity of the application,
                        we ended up writing more of a reference manual than a tutorial. I have tried
                        bridging that gap with some video tutorials, but they are tightly focused
                        and only touch a fraction of the program.

                        N1MM+ Customizable Entry Window (logging window) display features
                        - CHANGING BANDS? Band selection buttons can be displayed in the Entry
                        Window
                        - FIELD DAY? Elements can be removed from the Entry Window to minimize
                        confusion and distractions for unfamiliar users

                        These features are among the highlighted items in my Dayton Contest Forum
                        presentation.

                        Finally, regarding your choice of radio and statement that you're " I'm too
                        cheep to buy some of the...". In this case, your being cheap and using a
                        free logging program is not your problem. You are a member of a distinct
                        minority, operating an old radio in disconnected mode, and the gap between
                        your radio and the program's feature set will only get wider (and more pages
                        of documentation that have absolutely no meaning to you). My closest analogy
                        would be to accuse you of driving our brand-new Corvette on your pot-holed
                        gravel road. We have made many accommodations for disconnected radios, but
                        it ain't gonna be a smooth ride.

                        -larry (K8UT)

                        g4mkp wrote:
                        > 2.7. Re: N1MM+ Sneak Preview Posted by: "Terry Burbidge"
                        > terryburbidge@... g4mkp Date: Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 am
                        > ((PDT)) Dear OM, I'm not sure what 'Big Gun' operators use that is
                        > different from what I use and I'm certainly no big gun. What I try to
                        > do is to master the shortcuts and manipulate every feature that I use
                        > thus reducing thinking time. It takes lots of practice and leaving it
                        > until a contest to practice is probably a bit late if you are worried
                        > about making mistakes. Other OMs are excited about the next generation
                        > of N1MM on what they've seen - albeit only one part of the application
                        > - in the sneak preview and, on the face of it, it's easy to see why.
                        > It looks good. What would help the developers of this free software is
                        > you listing the intuitive features that you feel are lacking in the
                        > current version. However, an
                        > 'anti-hitting-the-wrong-key-rescue-button' feature is probably a wish
                        > too far. Cheers, Terry/G4MKP

                        Yahoo Groups Links
                      • Doug
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 11 8:06 AM
                          Flame and flame again...
                          Terry; are you using a laptop with a touch pad? If so cover all but the keys and pad with cardboard so nothing can bump the lower edge of the case. See if that helps. Did on mine - the random went away... Donkeys are hard to ignore..
                          At my age and budget frustration is common.
                          Just ask them to program in Pascal or Fortran.
                          Sent from my T-Mobile Android device
                        • Terry G. Glagowski / W1TR
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 11 8:38 AM

                            There is also a way to disable the touch pad in the Control Panel if you ONLY want to use the mouse…

                            I found this helpful as I cannot use a touch pad and have a small wireless mouse that I use instead.

                            73, Terry / W1TR  :  )

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 11 9:17 AM
                              On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 4:58 AM, Hank Greeb n8xx@... [N1MMLogger]
                              <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                              > I agree that the software is complex. But I don't see why the text based
                              > help file have to be written only for the people who know how to use it.
                              >
                              > How about "N1MM for Dummies"?
                              > Or "Clif notes for the N1MM neophyte?"
                              > Or, "What you ever wanted to know about N1MM software but were afraid to
                              > ask?"

                              Because the people who know how to use it wrote it.

                              I fiddle around with Wikipedia some and on the "Talk" pages, people
                              will get on and gripe about an article being wrong, or having poor
                              citations, or whatever, and there is wikimarkup tag that people like
                              to reply with: {{sofixit}} the idea being that it's a *wiki* so
                              instead of griping, just fix it.

                              The docs for N1MM are not like that (I don't think) but there's
                              absolutely nothing stopping you from making notes as you fight with
                              the program and then turning those notes into a beginner's guide to
                              the program. I'm confident the dev team would be HAPPY to post them
                              on the site.

                            • W0MU Mike Fatchett
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 11 9:55 AM
                                Thanks to the Dev team for their time and volunteering to make a great
                                program even better!

                                I was very happy to see the similar look and feel. My initial
                                impression was a much cleaner look.

                                I like the new algorithms. They make more sense.

                                I am not a fan of trying to memorize multiple keystrokes. Every program
                                seems to have them they can get confusing. The Ctlr Y or whatever it
                                was to switch calls is fine for those that like keystroke shortcuts. He
                                could have clicked on the call in the window with the mouse too. In
                                full run mode you want to attempt to keep your hands on the keyboard so
                                I understand the need for shortcuts.

                                For a demo I thought the CW speed was much too high.

                                I can't wait for the full release! Thanks again to all who are making
                                this possible.

                                W0MU
                              • Ron Morgan
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 11 10:04 AM
                                  After an introduction to N1MM at FD a few years ago, I decided to try it at home. I liked the Idea that I could start with a simple logbook and data entry window. Then add new windows and additional features. Oh yeah, I had to read the manual and by listening around, I heard of features that have made my station fun to operate.  It didn't hurt to spend a little time at contest university and interface with a group of top operators. Hope to see Tom next Thursday.
                                  Ron, kb9nw

                                  Sent from my iPad

                                  On May 11, 2014, at 11:17 AM, "Peter Laws plaws0@... [N1MMLogger]" <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 4:58 AM, Hank Greeb n8xx@... [N1MMLogger]
                                  <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                  > I agree that the software is complex. But I don't see why the text based
                                  > help file have to be written only for the people who know how to use it.
                                  >
                                  > How about "N1MM for Dummies"?
                                  > Or "Clif notes for the N1MM neophyte?"
                                  > Or, "What you ever wanted to know about N1MM software but were afraid to
                                  > ask?"

                                  Because the people who know how to use it wrote it.

                                  I fiddle around with Wikipedia some and on the "Talk" pages, people
                                  will get on and gripe about an article being wrong, or having poor
                                  citations, or whatever, and there is wikimarkup tag that people like
                                  to reply with: {{sofixit}} the idea being that it's a *wiki* so
                                  instead of griping, just fix it.

                                  The docs for N1MM are not like that (I don't think) but there's
                                  absolutely nothing stopping you from making notes as you fight with
                                  the program and then turning those notes into a beginner's guide to
                                  the program. I'm confident the dev team would be HAPPY to post them
                                  on the site.

                                • N1MM
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 11 10:12 AM
                                    Do you know what Ctl-Enter does? - if you operate 40 split, you should.
                                    Do you know what happens the second time you press Alt-W?
                                    Why would you use Alt-F8 and Alt-Q alternately?

                                    If you are interested in improving your use of the program, periodically review this list:
                                    http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Key+Assignments+%28Keyboard+Shortcuts%29

                                    Print it out, double sided, and take a highlighter to mark those keystrokes that look interesting for you to add to your arsenal for the next contest. Practice them and start using them!

                                    73,
                                    Tom - N1MM

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 11 11:35 AM
                                      Seems like an opportunity for someone to fill.   A nice laminated reference sheet would be very nice.  Maybe Nifty needs to create a manual.

                                      Mike W0MU

                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 11 12:16 PM
                                        I took the link N1MM posted and moved it into a PDF file.

                                        The first two pages are the short cuts.  The other pages are the descriptions and other hints.

                                        http://www.w0mu.com/n1mmkey.pdf

                                        Please enjoy, enhance, etc.
                                        Mike W0MU

                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 11 1:51 PM
                                          Thanks, Pete,

                                          Thanks a bunche! If someone/anyone had referred me the the "getting
                                          started" part of the manual, it "probably" would have resolved >99.44%
                                          of my questions about setting up and using the software with or without
                                          computer control of the radio. I can see that an effort has been made
                                          toward a more understandable reference.

                                          Such a reference, rather than the "snarky, waaaay out of line" responses
                                          about my mother's progeny, my ability to read, etc., is very valuable.
                                          I thank you very much for taking the time to educate me. I may be able
                                          to answer many of the questions which come up from time to time without
                                          having to bother my mentors/Elmers.

                                          BTW, If the readers of this forum believe I'm a novice at using
                                          computers, so be it. I use a computer like I use any other tool of my
                                          trade - pipe wrenches, Blow torches, masking tape, Fourier Transforms,
                                          Solutions to sets of Non Linear Differential Equations, et. cetera.
                                          Software is just one tool to allow me to do my work.

                                          /s/ A convicted Dunce, (Anyone know a source of inexpensive but good
                                          quality Dunce Caps?)
                                          72/73 de n8xx Hg
                                          QRP >99.44% of the time

                                          On 5/11/2014 12:18 PM, "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@...> wrote:
                                          > 1c. Re: N1MM Sneak Preview
                                          > Posted by: "Pete Smith N4ZR"n4zr@... n4zr
                                          > Date: Sun May 11, 2014 3:15 am ((PDT))
                                          >
                                          > I wonder if Hank has looked at the Getting Started section of the user manual. It began life 6-7 years ago as a stand-alone Quick Start Guide and went through several evolutions before reaching its present state. The whole idea was to get new users to at least a minimal proficiency, +reasonably quickly.
                                          >
                                          > From there on, we have tried hard to make sure that page titles and sub-headings are amenable to searching, often using several near-synonyms to make things more findable. The wiki engine's search capability is also much improved over earlier versions.
                                          >
                                          > 73, Pete N4ZR
                                        • W0MU Mike Fatchett
                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 11 5:51 PM
                                            Really?

                                            N1MM Logger is the world's most popular ham radio contest logging program. For CW, phone and digital modes, its combination of contest-optimized features is unmatched. The program can be used with Windows XP/Vista/Seven/Eight. It has been designed to run satisfactorily on a 1 GHz Pentium III with 512 MB of memory or more, depending on the operating system's requirements.
                                            • Click here for a quick look at some of the program's features

                                            • This Link will take you right to the beginning of the Getting Started section of the manual, in case you want to dive right in

                                            Right off the front page of the website.

                                            Mike W0MU

                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 14 4:23 AM

                                              Thanks for this, Mike! I’ve been slowly building my own list, but yours is better.

                                              73, dale/kg5u