how to back up config files

  • ka4oww
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2014

      looking fow a way to back up the config files so if they get changed I can reload the working set.

      Thank you

      N3OW

    • rich_ve3ki
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2014
        When you have a configuration you are happy with, just make a copy of N1MM Logger.ini and save it somewhere (e.g. in your My Documents folder) where you can find it if you want to return to it. If you need to restore the configuration, just copy the saved file on top of the existing (presumed bad) N1MM Logger.ini in the N1MM Logger program folder.

        If you use any software digital engines (MMTTY, 2Tone, Fldigi), you might want to save a copy of the configuration for each software digital engine copy as well. For MMTTY, the configuration files are MTTY.ini and UserPara.ini (remember to save a separate copy of MMTTY.ini for each copy of MMTTY that you use from different DI and RX windows). For 2Tone, the configuration file is 2Tone.ini (again, a separate copy for each copy of 2Tone that you use). For Fldigi, the files are fldigi.prefs and fldigi_def.xml. In each case, the configuration files will be found in the same folder as the exe file.

        73,
        Rich VE3KI
      • Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2014
          Jay,

          You have many options from which to choose for back-ups. I use a “layered approach” with different products for daily, weekly, and monthly backups.

          For daily backups of essential files, consider a combination of the free SyncBack program coupled to a simple USB thumb drive. Syncback performs incremental copies of files quickly with its built-in scheduler. It can create file versions, so that if today’s file is busted and yesterday’s backup was also busted you can get to the-day-before’s file for recovery. Highly recommended.

          -larry (K8UT)

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2014
            All

            For years I have used a freebie callee Karen's Replicator:

            http://www.fileparade.com/listing/123516/Karen's%20Replicator?did=10844&pid=
            1&ppd=search,38119054297,karen's%20replicator,e,,c,0,,,&gclid=CPu_0Mqny70CFa
            bLtAodATQA6A

            73

            David W Wood

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2014
              Hi David,

              I use this for specific folders I want backed up hourly.  One problem is it overwrites the previous backup.  If you discover a mistake in a file, chances are the backup will also contain that mistake.  I would be interested in a program that can retain all versions of the file when backed up.

              73,
              Art W2NRA
              SKCC# 11634Tx5

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2014
                ORIGINAL MESSAGE: (may be snipped)

                On 4/6/2014 12:17 AM, David W Wood wrote:
                > All
                >
                > For years I have used a freebie callee Karen's Replicator:

                REPLY:

                I have also used Karen's Replicator for years and wouldn't be without
                it, but it has one flaw; Each time you backup it overwrites the
                previous backup, so if your new backup is corrupted, you're dead.

                To overcome this I do a regular disk image using Macrium Reflect (the
                free version). Each image contains a complete "snapshot" of your hard
                drive at that particular moment and each image is independent of the
                others, so you can go back as far as you want and retrieve individual
                files, or you can restore your entire HD. There are other disk image
                programs but most of them are not free. The one that I know of that is
                free (Redo) is slow, clunky and hard to use. Macrium Reflect is far
                better, IMO.

                73, Bill W6WRT
              • Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2014
                  Art,

                  >...chances are the backup will also contain that mistake
                  See my previous post re: Syncback. It creates version files.

                  Backups can be scheduled by the month/week/day/hour/minute, and also upon detecting a change to a directory or file based on filesize and datestamp.

                  -larry (K8UT)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6, 2014
                    With the countdown to Dayton looming and the release of N1MM Logger Plus beyond that date, the Dev Team would like to offer assistance to 3rd Party developers who have applications that will be impacted by the switch from Microsoft Access .MDB to SQLite .S3DB databases.

                    Please contact me OFF-REFLECTOR.

                    -larry (K8UT)
                    member: N1MM+ Dev Team
                  • Peter Laws
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 6, 2014
                      On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Larry Gauthier (K8UT) <k8ut@...> wrote:

                      > With the countdown to Dayton looming and the release of N1MM Logger Plus beyond that date, the Dev Team would like to offer assistance to 3rd Party developers who have applications that will be impacted by the switch from Microsoft Access .MDB to SQLite .S3DB databases.
                      >
                      > Please contact me OFF-REFLECTOR.
                      >
                      > -larry (K8UT)
                      > member: N1MM+ Dev Team

                      I wasn't paying attention when this was first announced so I'm still
                      looking for information on the new project. Is there a webpage
                      somewhere?

                    • Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 6, 2014
                        Peter,

                        Your best source of current status is probably Tom's Facebook page at:

                        https://www.facebook.com/N1MMLogger

                        -larry (K8UT)
                        > With the countdown to Dayton looming and the release of N1MM Logger Plus
                        > beyond that date, the Dev Team would like to offer assistance to 3rd Party
                        > developers who have applications that will be impacted by the switch from
                        > Microsoft Access .MDB to SQLite .S3DB databases.
                        >
                        > Please contact me OFF-REFLECTOR.
                        >
                        > -larry (K8UT)
                        > member: N1MM+ Dev Team

                        I wasn't paying attention when this was first announced so I'm still
                        looking for information on the new project. Is there a webpage
                        somewhere?

                        Yahoo Groups Links