The Demise of Windows XP

  • radio_ng2d
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2, 2014

      I have an old XP machine that I currently use in my shack. With the demise of XP I was thinking of taking it offline but then getting updates to N1MM could be a problem. I was thinking that I could download the updates to a flash drive on my “good” computer then carry the drive to my XP machine to be installed. Has anyone tried that and will it work? Is there a better way?

      Bill

    • K4ia
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2, 2014
        Before you give up on your old machine,  MS has a utility you can run to see if your machine is capable of running W7.  My Pentium was.  I bought a W7 install disk for about $100 and installed it on the old computer.  I was able to upgrade to the W7 64 bit version which now allows me more than the old 3 GB of RAM.  Additional RAM is cheap from crucial.com.

        MS also has a program that will migrate all your data to a back up before you upgrade.  After you upgrade it will migrate back.  You will wipe out everything on the old hard drive so you must reinstall your programs as well.  Take advantage of this opportunity to replace your old hard drive with a new larger one to increase your capacity.  You'll be replacing the one component in your computer most likely to fail with age.

        Buy your install disk from a legitimate seller so you know you are getting the real thing.

        Buck
        k4ia
        K3# 101  KX3 #715
        On 4/2/2014 8:39 AM, bills_eyepiece@... wrote:

        I have an old XP machine that I currently use in my shack. With the demise of XP I was thinking of taking it offline but then getting updates to N1MM could be a problem. I was thinking that I could download the updates to a flash drive on my “good” computer then carry the drive to my XP machine to be installed. Has anyone tried that and will it work? Is there a better way?

        Bill

      • Steve London
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 2, 2014
          On 04/02/2014 07:04 AM, K4ia wrote:

          > Before you give up on your old machine, MS has a utility you can run to
          > see if your machine is capable of running W7. My Pentium was. I bought
          > a W7 install disk for about $100 and installed it on the old computer.

          The MS upgrade readiness utility is not nearly as robust as one would
          expect. After "passing" the readiness review for Windows 8, it did not
          inform me that my motherboard video would only work in the lowest
          resolution mode after the upgrade. That required purchasing a new video
          card, which was no simple matter given the need for a Windows 8 driver,
          and the limited choices of PCI-like slots in the old XP box. In
          addition, there was no Windows 8 driver existed for the existing
          wireless card.

          If I was doing it over, I would not have upgraded my XP box.

          73,
          Steve, N2IC
        • Jeffrey Embry
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 2, 2014
            All,

            I would agree with Steve on this.

            As an IT contractor, I am finding that one is usually better off procuring modern equipment for the newer OSs.  In my field, the amount of time spent on getting upgrades to work on older machines is often more expensive that just getting the new machine.

            And as Steve mentioned, there is no guarantee that the upgrade will work to ones expectations, even when the compatibility tool says it will.

            Just my .02 cents.

            73,

            Jeff
            K3OQ

            --
            Jeff Embry, K3OQ
            FM19nb

            --
            WWWDWOA?
            (What Would We Do Without Acronyms?)

          • Michael Walker
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 2, 2014
              You don't have to stop using XP, it just means that any maintenance is not being done any more.

              My remote base runs on XP, and I have plans to replace it in the coming year.  I will upgrade when I absolutely have to.

              Mike va3mw

              On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Jeffrey Embry <jeffrey.embry@...> wrote:

              All,

              I would agree with Steve on this.

              As an IT contractor, I am finding that one is usually better off procuring modern equipment for the newer OSs.  In my field, the amount of time spent on getting upgrades to work on older machines is often more expensive that just getting the new machine.

              And as Steve mentioned, there is no guarantee that the upgrade will work to ones expectations, even when the compatibility tool says it will.

              Just my .02 cents.

              73,

              Jeff
              K3OQ

              On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:

              On 04/02/2014 07:04 AM, K4ia wrote:

              > Before you give up on your old machine, MS has a utility you can run to
              > see if your machine is capable of running W7. My Pentium was. I bought
              > a W7 install disk for about $100 and installed it on the old computer.

              The MS upgrade readiness utility is not nearly as robust as one would
              expect. After "passing" the readiness review for Windows 8, it did not
              inform me that my motherboard video would only work in the lowest
              resolution mode after the upgrade. That required purchasing a new video
              card, which was no simple matter given the need for a Windows 8 driver,
              and the limited choices of PCI-like slots in the old XP box. In
              addition, there was no Windows 8 driver existed for the existing
              wireless card.

              If I was doing it over, I would not have upgraded my XP box.

              73,
              Steve, N2IC

              --
              Jeff Embry, K3OQ
              FM19nb
              ARCI #11643, FPQRP #-696,
              QRP-L # 67, NAQCC #25, ARS #1733
              AMSAT LM-2263

              --
              WWWDWOA?
              (What Would We Do Without Acronyms?)

            • Les Elliott
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 2, 2014
                Done that for years, Bill

                Les, G4OGB

                Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 1:39 PM
                Subject: [N1MM] The Demise of Windows XP

                I have an old XP machine that I currently use in my shack. With the demise of XP I was thinking of taking it offline but then getting updates to N1MM could be a problem. I was thinking that I could download the updates to a flash drive on my “good” computer then carry the drive to my XP machine to be installed. Has anyone tried that and will it work? Is there a better way?

                Bill

              • Dale Martin
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 2, 2014

                  I got tired of doing that here, Bill.

                  I recently pulled the plug on my XP of many years.

                  I found a refurb HP PC at Micro Center (Houston), i3, 4GB Ram, 3GHz, 300GB HD, DVD, 4-front/4-rear USB ports, SERIAL port (DB9), PARALLEL port (DB25), Windows 7 Home Premium…all for about $190.

                  I bought two USB-Comport adapters from Amazon for about $25.

                  Downloaded N1MM and installed it. Plugged in the radios and controller. Works flawlessly. It’s even networked with my desktop computer across the room. Now to get the operator to a similar working/operating state.

                  73,

                  Dale, kg5u

                  I have an old XP machine that I currently use in my shack. With the demise of XP I was thinking of taking it offline but then getting updates to N1MM could be a problem. I was thinking that I could download the updates to a flash drive on my “good” computer then carry the drive to my XP machine to be installed. Has anyone tried that and will it work? Is there a better way?

                  _,_._,___

                • Tom Osborne
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 2, 2014
                    I just picked up a refurbed, dual core, Dell box on eBay for $125 that
                    is pretty loaded and already has Windows 7 on it. This will be used
                    just for the ham shack computer.

                    This guy looks good as he has right at 4000 feedbacks with 100% positive
                    rating. There was another guy who had a bunch of refurbs and had a
                    77.5% feedback rating. Don't know how he can stay on eBay with that
                    rating. 73
                    Tom W7WHY

                    .

                    On 4/2/2014 7:08 AM, Jeffrey Embry wrote:
                    > All,
                    >
                    > I would agree with Steve on this.
                    >
                    > As an IT contractor, I am finding that one is usually better off procuring
                    > modern equipment for the newer OSs. In my field, the amount of time spent
                    > on getting upgrades to work on older machines is often more expensive that
                    > just getting the new machine.
                    >
                    > And as Steve mentioned, there is no guarantee that the upgrade will work to
                    > ones expectations, even when the compatibility tool says it will.
                    >
                    > Just my .02 cents.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    >
                    > Jeff
                    > K3OQ
                  • Tom Z
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 2, 2014

                      Why give up  on XP ?  When Microsoft declares an OS dead, that means it is stable.

                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 2, 2014
                        Tom,

                        That is the most accurate thing that anyone has said about XP.

                        Nicely done.

                        Mike va3mw

                        On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Tom Z <kg3vtomz@...> wrote:

                        Why give up  on XP ?  When Microsoft declares an OS dead, that means it is stable.

                        Tom

                        On Apr 2, 2014 8:39 AM, <bills_eyepiece@...> wrote:

                        I have an old XP machine that I currently use in my shack. With the demise of XP I was thinking of taking it offline but then getting updates to N1MM could be a problem. I was thinking that I could download the updates to a flash drive on my “good” computer then carry the drive to my XP machine to be installed. Has anyone tried that and will it work? Is there a better way?

                        Bill

                      • Michael Adams
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 2, 2014

                          It will be interesting to see whether Microsoft will reverse (or be forced to reverse) its decision when the number of zombie spambot machines on the net rises because of XP users not heeding the warnings to keep their increasingly insecure computers off the net after XP support is sunset.

                          After all, isn’t a critical mass of the spambots on the net today the result of people not exercising appropriate care in keeping their systems up to date, etc.?

                          --
                          Michael Adams | N1EN | mda@...

                          Why give up  on XP ?  When Microsoft declares an OS dead, that means it is stable.

                          Tom

                        • Artur Topczewski
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 2, 2014
                            I think the security won’t be an issue…
                            All modern antivirus software offer fire-wall and current up to date protection.

                            CW’s Art

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 2, 2014
                              For now...  3-5 years down the road, a different story.  YMMV.

                              We also have to look forward to vendors such as HRD LLC to drop support for XP.  They are in business after all.

                              Bob

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 3, 2014

                                  I very much appreciate all the thoughtful responses. What a great group! I only use N1MM for contest logging, nothing else, and I always operate un-assisted. My old rig doesn’t even have a computer connection. Considering all the choices I think I will go with my gut and do as I had originally planned: I’ll take it off line. I know I will miss the internet access but I will just have to live with it. I will have to purchase a new computer eventually, When I do get a new machine my main Vista laptop will become my logging machine.

                                  Thank you all,

                                  Bill – NG2D

                                • Jim Brown
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 17, 2014
                                    I strongly agree withN2IC's advice to never try to upgrade an OS on a machine that is working. One of my colleagues in pro audio was working for Microsoft writing manuals (and his wife worked in the Microsoft lab beta testing software) when he upgraded the OS on one of his machines. Things did not go well, and he ended up blowing a full week.

                                    73, Jim K9YC

                                    On Thursday, April 3, 2014 6:01 AM, "bills_eyepiece@..." <bills_eyepiece@...> wrote:

                                    I very much appreciate all the thoughtful responses. What a great group! I only use N1MM for contest logging, nothing else, and I always operate un-assisted. My old rig doesn’t even have a computer connection. Considering all the choices I think I will go with my gut and do as I had originally planned: I’ll take it off line. I know I will miss the internet access but I will just have to live with it. I will have to purchase a new computer eventually, When I do get a new machine my main Vista laptop will become my logging machine.
                                    Thank you all,
                                    Bill – NG2D

                                  • Bill Turner
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 17, 2014
                                      ORIGINAL MESSAGE: (may be snipped)

                                      On 4/17/2014 10:39 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
                                      > I strongly agree withN2IC's advice to never try to upgrade an OS on a
                                      > machine that is working. One of my colleagues in pro audio was working
                                      > for Microsoft writing manuals (and his wife worked in the Microsoft
                                      > lab beta testing software) when he upgraded the OS on one of his
                                      > machines. Things did not go well, and he ended up blowing a full week.

                                      REPLY:

                                      You can safely upgrade an existing machine if you FIRST make a disk
                                      image of your hard drive. If things go wrong with the upgrade, you can
                                      use the disk image to restore your machine to the exact same state it
                                      was before.

                                      I use Macrium Reflect Free Edition, there are others but most of them
                                      are not free.

                                      73, Bill W6WRT
                                    • Wayne Kline
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 17, 2014
                                        I can only speak for myself on this issue and I went from  Win2000 ( Remember the 2000 scare !!!!   WMDD ) Weapons of Mass Digital  Destruction !
                                        I opted for a Microsoft upgrade to VISTA ..... What a mistake.... between the two OS booga boos  I lost what little hair I had left....
                                        So now it's FULL  version on Clean formatted HD or SSD only ...

                                        Wayne  W3EA

                                        To: N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 18, 2014
                                            I have N1MM running on a new laptop with Win7 while I systematically decommission my current laptop with WinXP.  While off topic, I would welcome any off-reflector advice on how to successfully move my Outlook 2003 Inbox and personal folders to the new machine that runs Outlook 2014.  First mistake was launching Outlook on the new machine before moving the pst files.

                                            George W1EBI
                                          • Rick Slater
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 20, 2014
                                              To move or just manage .pst files, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070 or others I found using Google.