N1MM driving antenna switches?

  • James M. Galm, W8WTS
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 8, 2014
      N1MM has the ability to send antenna switching data to a parallel port, as set up in Configurer, Antennas.  My computers do not have parallel ports, but I do have Eight-Pak antenna switches controlled by K7MI's ShackLAN-4 Control Center software.  Is there a utility out there that emulates a parallel port and allows the antenna data from N1MM to operate ShackLAN-4 Control Center?  This seems like a simple and easy way to achieve automatic antenna switching, but Google is not turning up info on this topic.  What other methods are hams using to run Eight-Pak antenna switches from N1MM?

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      73,

      Jim, W8WTS.
    • Herb Schoenbohm

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 8, 2014

          I support Herb. If your radio(s) has a band output capability then that is preferable to using N1MM parallel port output. You can then be sure if the radio changes band and the computer has crashed you can still operate.

          I do precisely that with the K3 and before that FT1000MP.

          The alternative is to make use of a serial port with a OTRSP adapter which uses a serial protocol and provides band output capability. Google for OTRSP and read.

          73 David G3YYD

[...]

        • Jurgen ON5MF // OQ6A
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 8, 2014

            I made a controller using and Arduino and OTRSP to switch my Sixpak both with N1MM and DXLAB.

            Reasons why I don't use BCD from my transceivers? I have transceivers from 3 different brands Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood and with the OTRSP I don't have to use different ways to decode which band the transceiver is set to.

            An impression of the prototype can be found here: http://www.on5mf.be/category/computers/arduino/band-decoder/
            Page needs to be update though, switch is 99% finished and will probably never reach 100% as every time I use it I find new ways to upgrade it.

            David G3YYD schreef op 8/03/2014 23:55:

[...]

            Jurgen Geldhof
            ON5MF / OQ6A

            www.on5mf.bewww.geldhofhout.be

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 9, 2014
              The off the shelf solution for traditional "one wire per band" switches
              are the microHAM Station Master. They will switch based on frequency
              using transceiver control data *or* respond to the N1MM Antenna control
              commands when connected to MK2R+ or microKEYER II.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 3/9/2014 3:48 AM, Jurgen ON5MF // OQ6A wrote:

              > I made a controller using and Arduino and OTRSP to switch my Sixpak both
              > with N1MM and DXLAB.
              >
              > Reasons why I don't use BCD from my transceivers? I have transceivers
              > from 3 different brands Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood and with the OTRSP I don't
              > have to use different ways to decode which band the transceiver is set to.
              >
              > An impression of the prototype can be found here:
              > http://www.on5mf.be/category/computers/arduino/band-decoder/
              > Page needs to be update though, switch is 99% finished and will probably
              > never reach 100% as every time I use it I find new ways to upgrade it.
              >

              > David G3YYD schreef op 8/03/2014 23:55:
              >>
              >> I support Herb. If your radio(s) has a band output capability then
              >> that is preferable to using N1MM parallel port output. You can then be
              >> sure if the radio changes band and the computer has crashed you can
              >> still operate.
              >>
              >> I do precisely that with the K3 and before that FT1000MP.
              >>
              >> The alternative is to make use of a serial port with a OTRSP adapter
              >> which uses a serial protocol and provides band output capability.
              >> Google for OTRSP and read.
              >>
              >> 73 David G3YYD

            • Pete Smith N4ZR
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 9, 2014
                I think PIEXX's SO2RXLAT *may* also translate antenna choices into LPT port codes from OTRSP,, but I don't have the documentation handy.
                73, Pete N4ZR
                Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                http://reversebeacon.net,
                blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                For spots, please go to your favorite
                ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 13, 2014

                  Interesting discussion.  I am getting that most ops are using the band data output from the rigs to drive a hardware interface to the antenna switches.  I see two disadvantages with that approach.  First, different rigs have different band data output formats.  This can be overcome with sophisticated band decoders.  The more important disadvantage from my perspective is that it does lend itself to switching among multiple antennas per band from the computer screen.

                  I never did find a utility or driver that appears like a parallel port to N1MM, intercepts the band data from N1MM, and makes the band data available to a PC app that controls the antenna switches.  Perhaps that function is not practical, but I will keep my eyes open.

                  Thanks for the info.

                  73,

                  Jim, W8WTS.

                • N1MM
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 14, 2014
                    http://www.k1xm.org/Antenna_Switch/MOAS_II/

                    On 3/13/2014 11:43 PM, jim@... wrote:

                    > Interesting discussion. I am getting that most ops are using the band
                    > data output from the rigs to drive a hardware interface to the antenna
                    > switches. I see two disadvantages with that approach. First,
                    > different rigs have different band data output formats. This can be
                    > overcome with sophisticated band decoders. The more important
                    > disadvantage from my perspective is that it does lend itself to
                    > switching among multiple antennas per band from the computer screen.
                    >

                    > I never did find a utility or driver that appears like a parallel port
                    > to N1MM, intercepts the band data from N1MM, and makes the band data
                    > available to a PC app that controls the antenna switches. Perhaps
                    > that function is not practical, but I will keep my eyes open.
                    >

                    > Thanks for the info.
                    >

                    > 73,
                    >

                    > Jim, W8WTS.

                  • Pete Smith N4ZR
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 14, 2014
                      I think if you take this approach you can skip the parallel port altogether and just use OTRSP.

                      On 3/13/2014 11:43 PM, jim@... wrote:

                      Interesting discussion.  I am getting that most ops are using the band
                      data output from the rigs to drive a hardware interface to the antenna
                      switches.  I see two disadvantages with that approach.  First,
                      different rigs have different band data output formats.  This can be
                      overcome with sophisticated band decoders.  The more important
                      disadvantage from my perspective is that it does lend itself to
                      switching among multiple antennas per band from the computer screen.

                      I never did find a utility or driver that appears like a parallel port
                      to N1MM, intercepts the band data from N1MM, and makes the band data
                      available to a PC app that controls the antenna switches.  Perhaps
                      that function is not practical, but I will keep my eyes open.

                      Thanks for the info.

                      73,

                      Jim, W8WTS.

                      <*> Your email settings: