ARRL Centennial QSO Party

  • Jim Smith
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 2, 2014
      I'm sure I saw this somewhere but can't find it.

      What contest do I use? Looked under QSO Parties but didn't see anything.

      73 es HNY Jim VE7FO
    • kg5vksteve
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 2, 2014
        Jim

        It is NOT a contest just use your normal logging tools
        and upload the qsos to LOTW to get credit

        steve
        KG5VK
      • Jim Cassidy
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 2, 2014
          ARRL recommended the General QSO in N1MM for the W1AW/X operations.

          --
          Jim Cassidy

          KI7Y
        • Joe K2UF
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 2, 2014

            I know that SS is a long way off but how will we log W1AW/* stations?  As an example:  W1AW/4 will be the call of all the fourth call area stations.  The SS log will consider all those after the first one as dupes.

            Joe  K2UF

            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 2, 2014
              I am using general logging under N1MM.

              K9EZ - W1AW/4 CW morning, SSB tonight!

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 2, 2014
                n1mm IS my normal logging tool!

                I was hoping that I could select a contest which would recognize that
                different abbreviations carry different point values so I could track my
                score.

                73, Jim VE7FO CLM

                On 2014-01-02 16:33, kg5vk@... wrote:
                > Jim
                >
                > It is NOT a contest just use your normal logging tools
                > and upload the qsos to LOTW to get credit
                >
                > steve
                > KG5VK

              • Jim Smith
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 2, 2014
                  Thanks Jim

                  Couldn't find General QSO in the drop down list of contests. Ended up
                  using DX and entering the exchange in the Name field.

                  BTW, I'm worth 100 points!

                  73, Jim VE7FO CLM

                  On 2014-01-02 16:42, Jim Cassidy wrote:
                  > ARRL recommended the General QSO in N1MM for the W1AW/X operations.

                • John Bednar
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 2, 2014
                    Jim,

                    It's difficult to compute the score when the exchange isn't required.

                    John, K3CT

                    "QSOs do not have to be contest style and it isn't necessary to exchange the
                    ARRL organizational information."

                    On 2014-01-02 16:33, kg5vk@... wrote:
                    > Jim
                    >
                    > It is NOT a contest just use your normal logging tools and upload the
                    > qsos to LOTW to get credit
                    >
                    > steve
                    > KG5VK

                    Yahoo Groups Links
                  • Jim Smith
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 2, 2014
                      Hi John

                      You're quite right, of course. I just like to see numbers getting
                      bigger and it's exciting when there's a big jump. Probably been
                      conditioned this way by considerable exposure to N1MM and M/M contesting!

                      I'll certainly be putting CLM in my exchange.

                      73, Jim VE7FO

                      On 2014-01-02 19:07, John Bednar wrote:
                      > Jim,
                      >
                      > It's difficult to compute the score when the exchange isn't required.
                      >
                      > John, K3CT
                      >
                      > "QSOs do not have to be contest style and it isn't necessary to exchange the
                      > ARRL organizational information."

                    • rich_ve3ki
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 2, 2014
                        Joe,

                        I am reasonably sure there will not be W1AW stations in different states/sections using the same call sign during the Sweepstakes (or for that matter at any other time). According to the published operating schedule, during any given week W1AW/4, for example, will only be in one particular state. The state may change from week to week, but as far as I can see there will not be two W1AW/4 stations operating from different states during the same week. There may be two different suffixes, like W1AW/4 and W1AW/7, but never two different states with the same suffix at the same time. There is a calendar of operations on the ARRL web site at <http://www.arrl.org/files/file/On%20the%20Air/Keep%20Track%20of%20Your%20W1AW%20QSOs%20in%202014.pdf>.

                        So I don't think there is anything to worry about. Even if W1AW/1 in RI and W1AW/5 in MS are both on at the same time, the Logger should recognize these as two different call signs.

                        73,
                        Rich VE3KI

                      • Joe K2UF
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 3, 2014

                          Hi Rich,

                          I guess I should have dug deeper into the rules.  I am not sure where I got the idea that any ‘W1AW’ stations could pop up any time.

                          Thanks for the info and all the Qs over the years.

                          73,  Joe K2UF

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 10, 2014
                              Hi Dave,
                              hit CTRL+F11 to lock Logger into Running mode
                              Ciao
                              Sante

                              At 23.05 10/01/2014, you wrote:

[...]

                            • Pete Smith N4ZR
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 10, 2014
                                Dave, how are you tuning to the calling stations' frequencies?  What radio is this?
                                73, Pete N4ZR
                                Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                                http://reversebeacon.net,
                                blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                                For spots, please go to your favorite
                                ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

                                On 1/10/2014 5:05 PM, David Fuseler wrote:
[...]

                              • Don Butler
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 10, 2014
                                  Dave, Alt+F11 will disable that behavior and keep you in run mode when you change frequency on VFO A (at least with the K3) …. I’ve been running W1AW/7 here in Utah this week and had the same problem the first day …. So had to go digging into the manual.

                                  Don, N5LZ

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 10, 2014

                                    The ALT-F11 was the answer.  I could not find it, but as soon as I was told of it, I found it.  Thanks for the replies.  I had a good run on 160 earlier.

                                    Dave, NJ4F

                                  • davefuseler
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 10, 2014

                                      Using a 7800, Pete.  Actually, doing the split made it very easy to find and tune stations.  This is my first experience at running.  I have been a confirmed S&Per for the last 10 years.  Have learned a lot in the last 2 days.

                                      Otherwise, wasn't sure what your question wanted.

                                      Dave

                                    • Pete Smith N4ZR
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 11, 2014
                                        Hi Dave - the reason for my asking is that with the K3, for example, you can use RIT and split mode to tune a split pileup, with the program remaining in
                                        Run mode.  I have zero experience with Icoms, so wanted to know what radio you were using before suggesting something that might be radio-specific.

                                        On 1/10/2014 10:52 PM, nj4f@... wrote:

                                        Using a 7800, Pete.  Actually, doing the split made it very easy to find and tune stations.  This is my first experience at running.  I have been a confirmed S&Per for the last 10 years.  Have learned a lot in the last 2 days.

                                        Otherwise, wasn't sure what your question wanted.

                                        Dave

                                      • Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 11, 2014
                                          Dave,

                                          The latest version of microcode from Icom for the 7800, coupled with the latest version of N1MM Logger, allows you to control the 7800’s RIT frequency. Without changing your VFO, you can fine-tune each new station with RIT, then use the {CLEARRIT} macro in your End-of-QSO Function Key definition to automatically return RIT to 0 (your base frequency) for the next QSO.

                                          If you prefer to operate Split, transmit from VFOa and use VFOb (receiver 2) to listen to the pileup. Then add the Icom CATHEX command for “M=S” in your End-of-QSO Function Key to automatically return VBOb to your transmit frequency (VFOa) for the next QSO.

                                          These VFO manipulation tricks are not a bid deal on phone; somewhat nice on CW, but really helpful on digital modes.

                                          -larry (K8UT)

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 11, 2014
                                                What I did Larry was:
                                                go into split/dual watch