Footswitch on COM port

  • Tom Z
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 29, 2013
      Hi,

      I am wading through the N1MM Docs to see about connecting a footswitch using the COM port. I thought I saw mention that I can do that using Pin 6, but then I read another section about using a combination of two pins. Is it possible to have CW, PTT out and Footswitch IN, all on one COM port?

      73,

      Tom, KG3V

    • KA9JAC
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 29, 2013
        why would you want to have your footswitch on the com port?

        You can have a comport setup to key the ptt on the rig and run it in parallel with your footswitch.
        so i suppose you could have the connection in the connector that goes to the com port,
        but this would not be a footswitch on the com port.

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 29, 2013
            Not a dumb question at all. I can't tell you whether you can combine all that on one COM port but I use a footswitch on the parallel port, key CW and radio control through the serial port. This is with a K3 though.

            Parallel port:
            Pin 18 - switch
            Pin 15 - switch and 10k resistor
            Pin 14 - other resistor lead

            73,

            Tom N2CU <><

            K3 #3582

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 29, 2013

              Unless you are going to use the footswitch to activate features other than simple PTT, it is much more straightforward to parallel the footswitch off the PTT line to the radio and not involve the computer at all..

              73, Ted W4NZ

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 29, 2013
                Tom,

                I normally use a parallel port with my Base station. This is for mobile operation and I need to use a laptop. Parallel port is not possible. Just looking at my options for keying up the rig on Phone. I am using a rig (IC-7000) that has 2 PTT inputs, so I can probably key it directly if necessary.

                73,

                Tom, KG3V

                On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM, <n2cu@...> wrote:

                Not a dumb question at all. I can't tell you whether you can combine all that on one COM port but I use a footswitch on the parallel port, key CW and radio control through the serial port. This is with a K3 though.

                Parallel port:
                Pin 18 - switch
                Pin 15 - switch and 10k resistor
                Pin 14 - other resistor lead

                73,

                Tom N2CU <><

                K3 #3582

              • stewart_bakeruk
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 30, 2013
                  I use 2 foot switches with N1MM and my K3.

                  One into a microHAM MKII for PTT, and the other into the Parallel port to switch between VFOA and VFOB.

                  73
                  Stewart G3RXQ
                • trwn2cu
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 30, 2013
                    My footswitch emulates the ENTER key. I can start a CQ by pressing the footswitch and also log a contact with it. It has nothing to do with the PTT function. In fact, I have another footswitch that plugs into the K3 PTT input to keep the radio keyed when I don't want VOX dropping out.

                    73,
                    Tom N2CU <><
                    K3 #3582
                  • sale_9a3xv
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 31, 2013
                      Hi Tom!

                      This is not possible. You have to use separate COM port for foot switch becouse you have to configure pin 4 (normaly CW) "Always On" and pin 7 (normaly PTT) "Always Off" regardin the N1MM Interfacing documantation...

                      "Connect a 10k resistor between pin 6 and pin 7. Set DTR, pin 4 to "Always On" and RTS, pin 7 to "Always Off". Connect the footswitch between pins 4 and pin 6."

                      http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Serial%2C+Parallel+and+Sound+Card+Interfacing&structure=N1MM+Logger+Documentation

                      If you need more help let me know - then I will send you schematic diagram.

                      Have fun and HNY!

                      Sale, 9A3XV

                    • Tom Z

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 1, 2014
                          Assuming you use ESM (Enter Sends Message), and why wouldn't anyone, you can configure an LPT port for footswitch input. In N1MM > Config > Hardware > LPTx, check the CW/Other box. Then press the Set button for that port. The configuration screen for that port will have a Footswitch (Pin 15) selector. Select ESM Enter. So now any function that would use the keyboard Enter key also uses the footswitch.

                          I'm a two-finger typist so in the heat of a run I find it easier to tap the footswitch to enter the QSO rather than trying to find the rather small keyboard Enter key. My keyboard is a mini-style so it doesn't have the typical large L-shaped Enter key.

                          73,

                          Tom N2CU <><

                          K3 #3582

                        • Tom Z