Windows 8.1 Heads-up

  • michael_n1en
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 17, 2013
      Just a word of warning....

      Windows 8.1 has been released to the general public. I just upgraded my shack PC (which had been running Windows 8 without issue)...and was annoyed to discover that the Microsoft helpfully rearranged all of my COM port assignments.

      Fortunately, I had previously documented which COM port number was used by which gadget.

      Assuming I'm not the only oddball who has been using Windows 8, I thought I'd give others a heads-up. Don't upgrade unless you have plenty of time to re-configure all your radio stuff.

      (I expect similar games to have been played with sound device IDs as well; I just haven't gotten that far.)

      Michael
      N1EN
    • Dave NJ4F
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 17, 2013
        I'm getting ready to build a new computer, and have thoughts on going ahead with 8.1, now that it is out.  So I would presume that starting from scratch would eliminate the COM port problems.
        Otherwise, does it look like 8.1 is going to be OK?

        Dave, NJ4F

        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 17, 2013
          Dave,
          I just did the update to Windows 8 I did not have a com issue the comports stayed just like before. My Cisco VPN, Intel Graphic card and a couple of other minor items had to update. But N1mm is working fine as well as MMTTY FLDigi.

          Thank You!
          Dave Greig N3BUO

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 17, 2013
            Mike said he upgraded to v8.1.  You say that v8 is good, and that is good to know.  But would like to know about v8.1 before I buy.  Guess I need to give it a bit of time for reports.  I don't wanna get it if there are going to be problems. (probably won't be)

            Dave, NJ4F

            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 17, 2013
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 17, 2013
                The posts on this topic gave me an idea for a feature.

                Could a "set-up information" button be added to the config screen that
                would save to a file the config settings, including the com port
                assignments? This would save one from having to write everything down
                once everything is working like it should.

                Gary K9GS

                Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
                Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
                CW Ops #1032 http://www.cwops.org

              • Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 18, 2013
                  Gary,

                  In its rawest form, the program does exactly that in the N1MM LOGGER.INI
                  file, but you'll need to "translate" that information to the screen prompts
                  in the Configurer.

                  As an alternative, I use a screen capture program (SnagIt - or many others,
                  some freebies) to capture a window image of each panel in the Configurer. I
                  copy/paste the screenshots into a Word document. Makes it very easy to
                  compare the image in Word to the N1MM Logger config screens.

                  -larry (K8UT)

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 18, 2013
                    Trying to download the latest master.dta file, but not having any luck.  Never had this problem before, and haven't changed anything this end.  The download fails, saying "Failed - Path too long".
                    Any explanation or suggestion on how to make this happen would be nice.
                    Dave, NJ4F

                  • Jorge Diez - CX6VM
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 18, 2013

                      Dave

                      Save this file http://www.supercheckpartial.com/MASTER.DTA

                      I did yesterday and is working

                      73,

                      Jorge

                      CX6VM/CW5W

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 18, 2013
                        That one worked, thanks.  Strange that it didn't work from the usual website.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 18, 2013
                          My shack PC is one of the touch-screen laptops that went on the market when Win 8.0 was released. So, you are correct that I was referring to the upgrade to Win 8.1.

                          I had almost no problems with any "current" amateur radio PC-oriented software, including N1MM, under Win 8.0, aside from remembering to not install ham apps in \Program Files.... (The sole exception that comes to mind is needing to run com0com version 2, instead of version 3, and that's more of a 64-bit issue than a Win 8 issue.)

                          While I haven't stress-tested every program, everything seems to have survived the upgrade to Win 8.1, aside from fixing COM port and soundcard assignments, with one exception -- PowerSDR, which I use with a FunCube dongle, appears to need reinstallation. I also lost some icons from the Start screen, but they were easy enough to replace after a registry tweak found online.

                          Regarding what Win 8.1 brings to the table: a good web search will turn up the various adjustments discussed in ad nauseam detail. From my perspective, the notable enhancements are:

                          * No more need for a third-party utility to get a start button (however, the Win 8.1 native button goes to the Metro-style start screen, which is annoying to some.); and no more need for a utility to boot to desktop.

                          * You can now use your desktop wallpaper as the Metro start screen background, making it less jarring. Also you get a few more "tile sizes" available on the Metro start screen. (These were really my only remaining complaints with Win 8, after having used it for almost a year.)

                          * Windows 8 Metro-apps can be set to auto-update (an option, not a requirement)

                          * This isn't necessarily an improvement, but in Win 8.1, Microsoft deemphasizes libraries and pushes cloud storage.

                          There are other patches and tweaks, but I mostly haven't noticed them. I'd be very annoyed if Microsoft were charging for the 8.0 » 8.1 upgrade given its relative subtleness.

                          The Win 8.1 metro/modern interface is still a big change from XP/Vista/Win7, but with Win 8.1 Microsoft undid several of the egregious mis-assumptions for non-touch users. Now, it's like the Office change from toolbars to ribbons a few years ago: there's a learning curve, and it takes getting used to....but once you get used to the changes, they're better (or at least "not worse"), especially if you're more of a keyboard person than a mouse person.

                          The guidance I'm giving the PC users I informally support is now updated to:

                          * Folks using current/recent tablet or touch-based PC's should run Win 8.1. (Win 8.0 users should upgrade, but be mindful of the possible need to spend time reconfiguring applications, and of how long a 3.6gb download will take on their net connection.)

                          * Else, folks who run machines capable of handling Win 7 ought to be running Win 7. Non-touch machines with Win 8 preinstalled can be updated to Win 8.1 or downgraded to Win 7, depending on user's preferences and skills. Vista users should update to Win 7.

                          * Else, run XP...but by year-end next year such machines should be behind firewalls and generally kept off the internet, if not upgraded, replaced or converted to Linux. (The behind firewalls / off the internet / run Linux guidance applies today to pre-XP machines.)

                          But to bring this post back on topic: N1MM definitely does run on Win 8.1...but you might want to not do the update on a Thursday or Friday before a contest because of possible COM port headaches. It's more of a Monday-Tuesday or non-contest-weekend upgrade for contesters.

                          Michael N1EN

                          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Dave NJ4F" <nj4f@...> wrote:

                          > Mike said he upgraded to v8.1. You say that v8 is good, and that is good to
                          > know. But would like to know about v8.1 before I buy. Guess I need to give it
                          > a bit of time for reports. I don't wanna get it if there are going to be
                          > problems. (probably won't be)
                          >
                          > Dave, NJ4F
                        • Dave NJ4F
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 18, 2013
                            Thanks for the extanded heads up.  Some is a bit over my head, but will keep this email.  I will be upgrading from XP Pro, and will build the new computer and then place it alongside the old and load programs one at a time.  Other than the WordPerfect Suite and a few misc programs, N1MM will be the main program to get going.

                            I always installed n1mm in its own directory, and did the big transfer of all the contest files, .ini file, and such when I transferred to this machine 4 years ago.Bottom line, I won't get rid a anything on the old compuet till the new one in running smoothly.

                            Can you get v8.1 by itself, or do you have to buy v8.0 then do an upgrade when starting from scratch?

                            Dave, NJ4F

> [...]

                            * Else, run XP...but by year-end next year such machines should be behind firewalls and generally kept off the internet, if not upgraded, replaced or converted to Linux. (The behind firewalls / off the internet / run Linux guidance applies today to pre-XP machines.)

                            But to bring this post back on topic: N1MM definitely does run on Win 8.1...but you might want to not do the update on a Thursday or Friday before a contest because of possible COM port headaches. It's more of a Monday-Tuesday or non-contest-weekend upgrade for contesters.

                            Michael N1EN

                            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Dave NJ4F" <nj4f@...> wrote:

                            > Mike said he upgraded to v8.1. You say that v8 is good, and that is good to
                            > know. But would like to know about v8.1 before I buy. Guess I need to give it
                            > a bit of time for reports. I don't wanna get it if there are going to be

                          • Pete Smith N4ZR
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 18, 2013
                              I'm just a grouch, I guess, but I would much rather get a copy of Win7 off e-bay than try to deal with Windows 8, to the point that I sold a cheap copy I had bought before the first release, rather than install it anywhere.  A touch-screen OS on a computer that will not have one just doesn't make sense, even if there are work-arounds.

                              There are many vendors on e-bay that have legitimate copies that they bought up from various sources when Microsoft pushed Win7 out of the marketplace.

                              73, Pete N4ZR
                              Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                              http://reversebeacon.net,
                              blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                              For spots, please go to your favorite
                              ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

                              On 10/18/2013 2:33 PM, Dave NJ4F wrote:
> [...]

                              * Else, run XP...but by year-end next year such machines should be behind firewalls and generally kept off the internet, if not upgraded, replaced or converted to Linux. (The behind firewalls / off the internet / run Linux guidance applies today to pre-XP machines.)

                              But to bring this post back on topic: N1MM definitely does run on Win 8.1...but you might want to not do the update on a Thursday or Friday before a contest because of possible COM port headaches. It's more of a Monday-Tuesday or non-contest-weekend upgrade for contesters.

                              Michael N1EN

                              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Dave NJ4F" <nj4f@...> wrote:

                              > Mike said he upgraded to v8.1. You say that v8 is good, and that is good to
                              > know. But would like to know about v8.1 before I buy. Guess I need to give it
                              > a bit of time for reports. I don't wanna get it if there are going to be

                            • Jeff Embry
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 18, 2013

                                Pete,

                                I agree with you to a point.  However, we at W3RFC are running N1MM on Windows 8 and have been for some time without any problem at all.  The machine Joel picked up does not have a touch screen…and I totally agree with you on that remark.  It seems to become more of an issue when the vendor stops support of the OS, primarily by not providing security patches, as Microsoft will be doing fairly soon for XP.  Then the machine and OS can become a huge vulnerability if it is online and not behind a properly configured firewall.  So I do think it is important to keep advancing our software to run on the newer OSes, which I am finding are much more stable out of the box than (at lease since XP --- and I am not counting Vista).

                                Just my .02 cents which doesn’t buy you anything anymore.

                                73,

                                Jeff

                                K3OQ

> [...]

                                * Else, run XP...but by year-end next year such machines should be behind firewalls and generally kept off the internet, if not upgraded, replaced or converted to Linux. (The behind firewalls / off the internet / run Linux guidance applies today to pre-XP machines.)

                                But to bring this post back on topic: N1MM definitely does run on Win 8.1...but you might want to not do the update on a Thursday or Friday before a contest because of possible COM port headaches. It's more of a Monday-Tuesday or non-contest-weekend upgrade for contesters.

                                Michael N1EN

                                --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Dave NJ4F" <nj4f@...> wrote:

                                > Mike said he upgraded to v8.1. You say that v8 is good, and that is good to
                                > know. But would like to know about v8.1 before I buy. Guess I need to give it
                                > a bit of time for reports. I don't wanna get it if there are going to be

                              • Gary K9GS

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 18, 2013
                                      This has been an interesting posting - Thanks Michael.

                                      Since approximately 30% of N1MM Logger users are still using XP, I
                                      thought it would be of interest to relate my experience going from XP to
                                      Windows 8. (Note, I have no experience with Windows 8.1)

                                      I started with a 2006-vintage, low-end XP box. It has a single Celeron D
                                      processor running 3.2 GHz. It had 2 GB of memory. Microsoft has a tool
                                      that will evaluate the suitability of your current system for upgrading
                                      to Windows 8. The tool said all of my hardware was compatible. All of my
                                      software would need to be reinstalled after the upgrade to Windows 8.

                                      Microsoft is currently making XP-to-Windows 8 upgrade packages available
                                      at reasonable prices - around $80. I took the plunge. Windows 8
                                      installed without a hitch. As a pleasant surprise, all of my XP files
                                      were moved into a folder called Windows.old. Even though I had backed up
                                      what I thought I needed to another computer, it was still nice to have
                                      things I forgot to backup in the Windows.old folder.

                                      Now, the real "fun" began. First of all, I find the Windows 8 "Metro"
                                      interface (the one with the "tiles") intolerable. Fortunately, there is
                                      an easy fix. Download and install one of the many free or low-cost
                                      "shells" that emulate the XP user interface. Just google "classic ui". I
                                      used one called "Classic Shell". Works fine. I also downloaded and
                                      installed a high definition "theme", which is easier on my eyes.

                                      Before I went any farther, I downloaded and installed all of the latest
                                      Windows 8 updates from the Microsoft web site.

                                      The next step was hardware. Despite Microsoft claiming all my hardware
                                      was compatible, most everything did NOT work initially. My wireless card
                                      was hopeless. No Windows 8 driver. Many others on the internet confirmed
                                      this. (Note: google becomes your close friend when things don't work).
                                      No big deal. $15 for a Windows 8-compatible wireless card. Next problem
                                      was my video card. Windows 8 only supported one low-resolution video
                                      mode for my motherboard video. More checking with google confirmed I was
                                      in trouble. Unacceptable. To make matters worse, I discovered that there
                                      are simply zero PCI video cards with Windows 8 drivers. PCI video is
                                      going the way of the dodo bird. However, with searching you can find a
                                      PCIe video card with a Windows 8 driver. Thank goodness my computer had
                                      one unused, full-size, PCIe slot. $50 for the new video card. Maybe
                                      there is a PCI video card with a Windows 7 driver that works with
                                      Windows 8, but I didn't want to spend money to find out.

                                      More hardware games. I have an old PCI, 2-port LPT board. After much
                                      searching and experimentation, I found a driver that worked - I think it
                                      was a Vista driver. I also have a PCI 4-port COM board. I found a driver
                                      that worked, but not 100% of the time. About half the time the COM ports
                                      don't exist after booting. Fortunately, I no longer need any COM ports,
                                      so that board came out of the computer. Next interesting discovery was
                                      that my FTDI-based USB adapters would come up on different ports every
                                      time I booted up. Unacceptable. This was fixed by going to the FTDI web
                                      site and installing their latest Windows 8 driver. Whew !

                                      After all of this, I was ready to start installing software. N1MM Logger
                                      installed without a hitch, using "Run As Administrator" when running the
                                      full installer and latest update. It runs faster, with lower CPU usage,
                                      than it did under XP. MMTTY worked fine, and 2Tone worked fine after
                                      G3YYD's latest update (thanks, David !). No problems with any other
                                      software, either.

                                      So, was it worth it ? For about $150 and 3 days of my time, I have a 32
                                      bit Windows 8 box. For a little more than twice that amount, I could
                                      have a brand-new 64 bit Windows 8 box, and probably saved myself a lot
                                      of trouble.

                                      If you decide to go this route, please do not ask me questions about
                                      your particular issues. I simply don't have time to be the world's tech
                                      support. Google is your friend.

                                      73,
                                      Steve, N2IC
                                    • Pete Smith N4ZR

> [...]

                                        * Else, run XP...but by year-end next year such machines should be behind firewalls and generally kept off the internet, if not upgraded, replaced or converted to Linux. (The behind firewalls / off the internet / run Linux guidance applies today to pre-XP machines.)

                                        But to bring this post back on topic: N1MM definitely does run on Win 8.1...but you might want to not do the update on a Thursday or Friday before a contest because of possible COM port headaches. It's more of a Monday-Tuesday or non-contest-weekend upgrade for contesters.

                                        Michael N1EN

                                        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Dave NJ4F" <nj4f@...> wrote:

                                        > Mike said he upgraded to v8.1. You say that v8 is good, and that is good to
                                        > know. But would like to know about v8.1 before I buy. Guess I need to give it
                                        > a bit of time for reports. I don't wanna get it if there are going to be

                                      • k5htb_de_travis
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 19, 2013
                                          I do not know about the abomination called Windows 8, but Windows 7
                                          has a very useful tool in the Accessories Folder for screenshots. It is "Snipping Tool". It may be there in 8. You can be very selective about what is "snipped" out of a page.
                                          I have placed the shortcut for it in the quick start bar at the bottom of the desktop.

                                          Travis
                                          K5HTB

                                          --------------------------------------

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 19, 2013
                                            We have Windows 8.1 at the office and we all hate it. I was poking around for a remedy and found this on Cnet.

                                            http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57496506-292/how-to-get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

                                            There are several apps to retrieve the start menu many of us miss.

                                            Travis
                                            K5HTB

                                            ----------------------------------

                                            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                            > site and installing their latest Windows 8 driver. Whew !
                                            >
                                            > After all of this, I was ready to start installing software. N1MM Logger
                                            > installed without a hitch, using "Run As Administrator" when running the
                                            > full installer and latest update. It runs faster, with lower CPU usage,
                                            > than it did under XP. MMTTY worked fine, and 2Tone worked fine after
                                            > G3YYD's latest update (thanks, David !). No problems with any other
                                            > software, either.
                                            >
                                            > So, was it worth it ? For about $150 and 3 days of my time, I have a 32
                                            > bit Windows 8 box. For a little more than twice that amount, I could
                                            > have a brand-new 64 bit Windows 8 box, and probably saved myself a lot
                                            > of trouble.
                                            >
                                            > If you decide to go this route, please do not ask me questions about
                                            > your particular issues. I simply don't have time to be the world's tech

                                          • John Unger
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 19, 2013
                                              Hi Steve -

                                              Thanks for your informative post on installing Windows 8. I had to face
                                              this process when my XP machine started going south and I bought a new
                                              computer that had Windows 8 installed already.

                                              I, too, was dismayed by the tiled 'Metro' app screen that appeared when the
                                              OS booted. However, I found that simply by clicking on the "desktop" tile I
                                              could have a permanent desktop screen very similar to what I was used to
                                              seeing in XP, and I just leave it there all the time. The only hassle is
                                              when I want to run "control Panel" or shutdown the computer, then I have to
                                              slide the mouse over to the right hand side of the screen to get the
                                              'popup' menu for these actions. But now, after your recommendation, I will
                                              have to try one of the XP emulator shells and see how I like that.

                                              73 - John, W4AU

                                            • JGMAGS
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 19, 2013
                                                Download CLASICSHELL.. gives you back your start menu

                                                "Many a good argument is ruined by some fool that knows what he is talking about"
                                                ... Marshall McLuhan...

> [...]

                                                >site and installing their latest Windows 8 driver. Whew !
                                                >
                                                >After all of this, I was ready to start installing software. N1MM Logger
                                                >installed without a hitch, using "Run As Administrator" when running the
                                                >full installer and latest update. It runs faster, with lower CPU usage,
                                                >than it did under XP. MMTTY worked fine, and 2Tone worked fine after
                                                >G3YYD's latest update (thanks, David !). No problems with any other
                                                >software, either.
                                                >
                                                >So, was it worth it ? For about $150 and 3 days of my time, I have a 32
                                                >bit Windows 8 box. For a little more than twice that amount, I could
                                                >have a brand-new 64 bit Windows 8 box, and probably saved myself a lot
                                                >of trouble.
                                                >
                                                >If you decide to go this route, please do not ask me questions about
                                                >your particular issues. I simply don't have time to be the world's tech

                                              • Hank Garretson
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 20, 2013
                                                  Good Afternoon Travis,

                                                  Great tip. Windows 8 has it. Thanks very much.

                                                  73,

                                                  Hank, W6SX

                                                  I do not know about the abomination called Windows 8, but Windows 7
                                                  has a very useful tool in the Accessories Folder for screenshots. It is "Snipping Tool". It may be there in 8. You can be very selective about what is "snipped" out of a page.
                                                  I have placed the shortcut for it in the quick start bar at the bottom of the desktop.

                                                  Travis
                                                  K5HTB

                                                • N4DW - Dave
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 24, 2013

                                                    Hi all,

                                                    That is just the most awesome tip I have seen on a reflector in years.

                                                    Thanks Travis,

                                                    73,

                                                    Dave

                                                    I do not know about the abomination called Windows 8, but Windows 7
                                                    has a very useful tool in the Accessories Folder for screenshots. It is "Snipping Tool". It may be there in 8. You can be very selective about what is "snipped" out of a page.
                                                    I have placed the shortcut for it in the quick start bar at the bottom of the desktop.

                                                    Travis
                                                    K5HTB

                                                    --------------------------------------

                                                    --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@...> wrote:

                                                    > Hello Larry,
                                                    >
                                                    > I'm already documenting set-up by using screen shots. I was just
                                                    > thinking of something a little more automated and elegant.
                                                    >

                                                    > On 10/18/2013 5:03 AM, Larry Gauthier (K8UT) wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Gary,
                                                    > >
                                                    > > In its rawest form, the program does exactly that in the N1MM LOGGER.INI
                                                    > > file, but you'll need to "translate" that information to the screen
                                                    > > prompts
                                                    > > in the Configurer.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > As an alternative, I use a screen capture program (SnagIt - or many
                                                    > > others,
                                                    > > some freebies) to capture a window image of each panel in the
                                                    > > Configurer. I
                                                    > > copy/paste the screenshots into a Word document. Makes it very easy to
                                                    > > compare the image in Word to the N1MM Logger config screens.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > -larry (K8UT)

                                                  • Marc Domen
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 24, 2013
                                                      Perhaps you might noy know this, but this tool with the same name can be downloaded here

                                                      http://snippy.nl.malavida.com/d6957-gratis-downloaden-windows

                                                      Very good tool.
                                                      I think it will also run under windows 8.1, it does under windows 8

                                                      73  Marc, ON7SS - OO9O

                                                    • Joe Subich, W4TV
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Oct 24, 2013
                                                        One doesn't necessarily need to rely on the Windows Snipping tool ...

                                                        To grab just a single Window use Alt-PrintScreen to place that
                                                        window on the clipboard. The one can open his favorite graphics
                                                        tool - even Paint - paste the clipboard and manipulate the capture
                                                        (add notations, resize, etc.) and save in any supported format.

                                                        73,

                                                        ... Joe, W4TV

                                                      • F.R.
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Oct 24, 2013
                                                          On 10/17/2013 1:56 PM, michael_n1en wrote:
                                                          > Just a word of warning....
                                                          >
                                                          > Windows 8.1 has been released to the general public. I just upgraded my shack PC (which had been running Windows 8 without issue)...and was annoyed to discover that the Microsoft helpfully rearranged all of my COM port assignments.

                                                          I just downloaded 8.1 but have not installed it yet. After reading
                                                          about com port issues, is there a way to save port assignments and
                                                          simply reload them into 8.1?
                                                          I run a MicroHam MK2, so will all of those virtual ports be changed?
                                                          any other tips for installing 8.1?

                                                          Thanks 73
                                                          Buddy WB4M
                                                        • Joe Subich, W4TV
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Oct 24, 2013
                                                            > I run a MicroHam MK2, so will all of those virtual ports be changed?
                                                            > any other tips for installing 8.1?

                                                            The Windows upgrade process will undoubtedly screw up the Eltima and
                                                            FTDI drivers installed with microHAM Router. Before upgrading, unplug
                                                            *all* USB devices and *restart* Windows 8. After the Windows 8.1
                                                            upgrade, *restart* Windows again, reinstall microHAM Router 8.4.6
                                                            and connect the microHAM interface when prompted to do so by the
                                                            Router installer. After completing the Router installation, configure
                                                            the necessary virtual ports, close Router to write the configuration to
                                                            the Windows Registry, restart Router then connect any USB devices one
                                                            at a time while checking for conflicts.

                                                            73,

                                                            ... Joe, W4TV