Parallel Interface and Arduino

  • Tom Z
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 5, 2013
      HI,

      I have been considering replacing my Computer-to-DX Doubler parallel port with an Arduino board, specifically for use with N1MM. Parallel ports are just getting too hard to come by and I know some of the commercial boards out there do not really work (not only with N1MM).

      Has anybody attempted replacing the parallel port with an Arduino? Seems like it should not be that difficult. Is the N1MM code built in a way that I could replace some function or driver with a piece of Arduino code, without needing to alter major sections of the program?

      Thanks and 73,

      Tom, KG3V

      PS - Thanks once again to the N1MM community for an incredible software platform and support.
    • DALE LONG
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 5, 2013
        Tom:

        I assume that you know about the Ardinuo CI-V router made by K9JM.  Works on USB. I've got a couple.  You could make one of these yourself and maybe you'd like to see one. Or perhaps you are fixed on using the parallel port

        73

        Dale - N3BNA

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 5, 2013
          This is a relatively simple thing to do.

          Using the Arduino on board USB-serial converter set that COM port in the N1MM hardware configurer to use the OTRSP protocol.

          The OTRSP protocol is then used to map to whatever pins you want to use on the Arduino.

          The OTRSP specification can be found here: http://www.k1xm.org/OTRSP/

          Of course others have been their first so you could use their work.

          73 David G3YYD
          On 05/10/2013 10:37, Tom Z wrote:

          HI,

          I have been considering replacing my Computer-to-DX Doubler parallel port with an Arduino board, specifically for use with N1MM. Parallel ports are just getting too hard to come by and I know some of the commercial boards out there do not really work (not only with N1MM).

          Has anybody attempted replacing the parallel port with an Arduino? Seems like it should not be that difficult. Is the N1MM code built in a way that I could replace some function or driver with a piece of Arduino code, without needing to alter major sections of the program?

          Thanks and 73,

          Tom, KG3V

          PS - Thanks once again to the N1MM community for an incredible software platform and support.

        • Steve London
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 5, 2013
            While you're snooping around K1XM's web site, take a look at his
            SO2RDuino project. It does what you want with and Arduino, and a lot more.

            73,
            Steve, N2IC

            On 10/05/2013 07:52 AM, David wrote:

            > This is a relatively simple thing to do.
            >
            > Using the Arduino on board USB-serial converter set that COM port in the
            > N1MM hardware configurer to use the OTRSP protocol.
            >
            > The OTRSP protocol is then used to map to whatever pins you want to use
            > on the Arduino.
            >
            > The OTRSP specification can be found here: http://www.k1xm.org/OTRSP/
            >
            > Of course others have been their first so you could use their work.
            >
            > 73 David G3YYD
            > On 05/10/2013 10:37, Tom Z wrote:
            >> HI,
            >>
            >> I have been considering replacing my Computer-to-DX Doubler parallel
            >> port with an Arduino board, specifically for use with N1MM. Parallel
            >> ports are just getting too hard to come by and I know some of the
            >> commercial boards out there do not really work (not only with N1MM).
            >>
            >> Has anybody attempted replacing the parallel port with an Arduino?
            >> Seems like it should not be that difficult. Is the N1MM code built in
            >> a way that I could replace some function or driver with a piece of
            >> Arduino code, without needing to alter major sections of the program?
            >>
            >> Thanks and 73,
            >>
            >> Tom, KG3V
            >>
            >> PS - Thanks once again to the N1MM community for an incredible
            >> software platform and support.

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 5, 2013
              To save poking around the NCJ site - which is where the K1XM link will
              lead - here's the direct link to the NCJ article on SO2RDuino:
              http://www.ncjweb.com/julaug10feat.pdf

              With a little ingenuity, the switching shield from SO2RDuino could be
              replaced by an interface to any older style, LPT based SO2R switcher.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 6, 2013
                    Steve,

                    I have run across the SO2Rduino project. Excellent work, and if I were starting from scratch, I would probably go that route. However, I already have the DX Doubler and I like that implementation very much. It does everything I need for contesting and for casual station use, and it integrates very well with N1MM. I just want to convert the DXD interface for USB use with N1MM so I can use a different PC that does not have a parallel port.

                    73,

                    Tom, KG3V

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 6, 2013

                      Tom,

                      Here’s the only usb interface that I know of that will emulate an LPT port to control the DXD:

                      http://www.piexx.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12

                      73, Ted W4NZ

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 12, 2013
                          Yes, enough OTRSP has been implemented in N1MM Logger to support the
                          MK2R and the YCCC SO2R Box.

                          73,
                          Steve, N2IC

                          On 10/12/2013 03:25 PM, Tom Z wrote:

                          > David,
                          >
                          > OTRSP is the missing link in what I was hoping to do, if it is
                          > implemented in N1MM. It should be very simple (famous last words) to
                          > translate the OTRSP commands into the correct states for the parallel
                          > interface.
                          >
                          > 73,
                          > Tom, KG3V
                          >

                          > On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM, David <g3yyd@...
                          > <mailto:g3yyd@...>> wrote:
                          >
                          > __
                          >
                          > This is a relatively simple thing to do.
                          >
                          > Using the Arduino on board USB-serial converter set that COM port in
                          > the N1MM hardware configurer to use the OTRSP protocol.
                          >
                          > The OTRSP protocol is then used to map to whatever pins you want to
                          > use on the Arduino.
                          >
                          > The OTRSP specification can be found here: http://www.k1xm.org/OTRSP/
                          >
                          > Of course others have been their first so you could use their work.
                          >
                          > 73 David G3YYD
                          >

                          > On 05/10/2013 10:37, Tom Z wrote:
                          >> HI,
                          >>
                          >> I have been considering replacing my Computer-to-DX Doubler
                          >> parallel port with an Arduino board, specifically for use with
                          >> N1MM. Parallel ports are just getting too hard to come by and I
                          >> know some of the commercial boards out there do not really work
                          >> (not only with N1MM).
                          >>
                          >> Has anybody attempted replacing the parallel port with an Arduino?
                          >> Seems like it should not be that difficult. Is the N1MM code built
                          >> in a way that I could replace some function or driver with a piece
                          >> of Arduino code, without needing to alter major sections of the
                          >> program?
                          >>
                          >> Thanks and 73,
                          >>
                          >> Tom, KG3V
                          >>
                          >> PS - Thanks once again to the N1MM community for an incredible
                          >> software platform and support.

                        • dh9gcd
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 13, 2013

                            Unfortunately, the BAND command is not supported by N1MM. I would like to switch the bandfilters automatically with a OTRSP device.

                            73 Christoph, DH9GCD

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 13, 2013
                              You should be able to use the antenna relay to do that
                              job - at least you can with "MK2R+ protocol". Set the
                              Antennas to 160=1, 80=2, 40=3, 30=4, 20=5, 17=6, 15=7,
                              12=8, 10=9, and 6=10.

                              I assume the O2RSP sends the antenna commands as AUX_1
                              and AUX_2 as the MK2R Protocol implementation works with
                              the equivalent AS1 and AS2 commands.

                              73,

                              ... Joe, W4TV

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 13, 2013
                                N1MM supports the OTRSP AUX command, which is set by the Configurer
                                Antenna tab.

                                In the Antenna tab you can set it up to have the AUX command send a
                                unique code for each band. Your OTRSP device can then decode the AUX
                                command and switch the appropriate filter or antenna.

                                73,
                                Steve, N2IC

                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 13, 2013
                                  Chistoph

                                  I decode the band data outputs from my transceivers. I did this deliberately (I also switch the antennas from this data) so if the PC crashed I could continue operating.

                                  73 David

                                • Pete Smith N4ZR
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 14, 2013
                                    I've never used it myself, but N1MM switches outboard band-specific devices for up to two radios with OTRSP's AUX command.  See the OTRSP Protocol Specification <http://www.k1xm.org/OTRSP/OTRSP_Protocol.pdf> for full details.  You need to link bands to codes on the Antennas tab of N1MM's Configurer.  See <http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Configurer&structure=N1MM+Logger+Documentation#Configurer_REAL_GT_Antennas_Tab>

                                    If you use some antennas on more than one band, I presume you would need to use diodes to AND the bands together to select that antenna while selecting the right bandpass filter.

                                    73, Pete N4ZR
                                    Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                                    http://reversebeacon.net,
                                    blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                                    For spots, please go to your favorite
                                    ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 18, 2013

                                      Hi all,

                                      I do not want to take this conversation with my problem. But i think, it fits in here
                                      and maybe this idea is also interesting for others who want to use a self-build OTRSP device
                                      for controlling the antennas AND band filter. As written in my first post in N1MM
                                      the BAND Command is not implemented. This can be workaround.
                                      In the N1MM Antennas tab I have the multi-band antennas separated by bands.
                                      In the firmware of the PIC controllers this assignment is mapped accordingly.

                                      cons:

                                      1 This method is bound to the limit of the table (16 entries).

                                      2 When changes in the antenna setup the PIC may need to be reprogrammed.

                                      pros:

                                      1 When changes in the antenna setup no changes at the OTRSP hardware (diode array) are required.

                                      That is probably not a new idea. But sometimes you need a food for thought as me ...

                                      Antennas:
                                      1. Fritzel FB-33 10/15/20m
                                      2. 21m Vertikal  40/80/160m
                                      3. Multi-Dipol  40/80m
                                      4. GAP Titan  10/15/20/40/80m
                                      5. Delta Loop  160m
                                      6. (spare)

                                      6x2 Antenna switch
                                      6 Bandfilter

                                      N1MM Antennas Tab
                                      Code Antenna       Bands OTRSP  Ant# Band#
                                      0    Fritzel FB-33 28    AUX10  1    1
                                      1    GAP Titan     28    AUX11  4    1
                                      2    Fritzel FB-33 21    AUX12  1    2
                                      3    GAP Titan     21    AUX13  4    2