Re: [N1MM] RE: Version 13.9.0 is available

  • N1MM
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2013
      Thanks. I am uploading the new version. I skipped a step in my build
      procedure.

      73,
      Tom
      On 9/3/2013 8:18 AM, wb4mnk@... wrote:
      > Just installed 13.9.0 but when I open N1MM it shows version 13.8.3 ? Tried twice.   73, Art WB4MNK
      >
      > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, <n1mmlogger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Tom - N1MM

    • Ken McVie
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2013
        Hi Tom,

        I posted this question the other day, but got no reply. Is it possible to turn off the sent serial number that shows in the exported ADI file, when using N1MM in DX mode?

        73
        Ken ZL4NR

        href="mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com">N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, <n1mmlogger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > 73,
        >
        > Tom - N1MM

      • Mike Schultz
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2013
          Hi Ken,

          I’ve been using DX as a general logger for years and I don’t get a # in my ADIF or text exports.  Check your exchange in setup for the contest type “DX”.  It should be empty.  If it hast the # character in it it will probably send a serial number.

          73, Mike KS0T

          href="mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com, <mailto:n1mmlogger%40yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > 73,
          >
          > Tom - N1MM

        • Richard Ferch
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2013

            Here once more is the answer I gave you on Sunday:

            No, I am fairly certain that a sent serial number is exported in the ADIF
            file regardless of whether the contest uses serial numbers or not. You can
            think of it as a database index number for contacts within that particular
            log.

            It is not transmitted in any of your messages unless you use the # macro
            (or, if you put an 001 in the Sent Exchange box, the {EXCH} macro).

            If you don't want it to be imported into whatever other application you
            plan on using the ADIF file with, there is an easy solution: With a text
            editor (Notepad will do fine), do a global replace to change every
            occurrence of <STX: in the ADIF file to something that will be ignored by
            importing programs, such as <APP_N1MM_STX: . The importing program will
            ignore this field in the ADIF file.

            73,
            Rich VE3KI

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2013
              Sorry, I was wrong.. as Rich says the serial number IS in the ADI export of “DX” type contest logs.  ADIF is header STX.  I looked at a few of my exports and did not see them at first. After Rich’s message I used FIND in notepad and there they were.  Ken, you can edit them out with notepad Rich said.. They never bothered me, but I do see they are imported into my DXKeeper log under the contest info tab.

              73, Mike KS0T

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2013
                It is indeed in the ADIF as STX. It is not transmitted unless you do something special to make it sent. The global replace is a bit awkward as it will appear in the ADIF file as <STX:1>1 to say <STX:3>1000 (assuming you logged 1000 QSOs exactly).

                Other than a little bit of space in the ADIF file and possibly a few bytes in a log DB why would you care?

                73, Larry  W6NWS

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 5, 2013
                    Obviously I couldn’t count this morning.

                    73, Larry  W6NWS

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 5, 2013
                      Thanks Rich, & Mike,

                      I did not get any previous replies to my original email for some reason. So many thanks for resending, & being patient with me. I have noticed recently that I do miss a few emails, & only catch up when people reply to the ones I miss.

                      I was hoping to be able to disable the serial number, but as you say, editing it out with notepad will be the best way to go.

                      Thanks again

                      73
                      Ken ZL4NR

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 5, 2013
                        Hi Larry, & others,

                        Not really N1MM related, but I feel an explanation is required.

                        The KiwiDX group, & others around the world are gearing up for a year long celebration of the first DX contacts with VK, USA, etc, which took place between ZL & these other countries 90 years ago from this coming October.
                        All this activity culminated in the VERY FIRST transworld contact between Z4AA Frank Bell, at Shag Valley Station near Palmerston, just north of Dunedin, in the South Island of ZL, & G2SZ Cecil Goyder at Mill Hill School in England, 90 years ago in October NEXT year.
                        The details of the celebration will be in all the DX bulletins, etc. & you will have the whole year to work the stations signing with the special callsign, if you so wish.

                        We feel that if we leave it for another 10 yrs. that many of us wont be around to celebrate these great events.
                        We have a special callsign already allocated, QSL cars are being designed, & I think there will be an award offered as well.

                        The reason for asking about the sent serial number in the DX log, is because we are trying to get a standard ADI file from many operators logging programs, to import into one master log, & N1MM being so popular, it does everything we want, except it puts the serial number into the ADI file. However, it will be a simle matter to edit it out.

                        73
                        Ken ZL4NR

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 5, 2013
                          Sounds like you will be attaching some significance to STX in the master log such that you don’t want the original operator’s STX value. So as Rich suggested just edit the STX to be something else. I have an STX=1 in my master log for every contest but it only has significance to me in the context of a specific contest. My master XV log has STX=1 for each of the years I operated there (I started a new N1MM DX log each year). To me the STX value is interesting but not something I really use in the DX log context. But these master logs only have me as the operator.

                          Good luck with your planned operation. Sounds interesting.

                          73, Larry  W6NWS