RE: [N1MM] Re: wav file problem

    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 16 7:13 PM
      When you record the wav files on the computer do you have any idea what the
      sampling rate or recording bits are? As Rich said, this can affect playback
      if not set to something compatible with N1MM. What sampling rate and
      recording bits are selected on the N1MM Configurer/Audio tab? Hint: try a
      sampling rate of 11025 and 8 bit recording.

      Have you tried plugging your mic into the sound card and recording from
      within N1MM using Ctrl+Shift+Fx? Watch the status messages at the bottom of
      the Entry window.

      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 17 1:07 AM
        David

        What sample rate are they? If they are say 48000+ try reducing the sample
        rate to 12000 or even 8000. I think this can be done in Audacity.

        73 David G3YYD

        I have tried everything including recording wav files on my computer but
        they drag and break up when plugged into n1mm. The only wav file that works
        flawlessly is the sample cq.wav that came with the software.

        David

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "rich_ve3ki" <ve3ki@...> wrote:

        > Try recording the wav files from inside the program (Ctrl+Shift+Fx) to see
        if that fixes the problem. I'm no expert on ssb messages, but I believe
        there are various different sub-types of wav files (different sampling
        rates, number of bits, etc.), and as I recall, N1MM Logger only supports a
        limited subset of these wav file sub-types. If the file was recorded with
        different parameters than N1MM Logger was expecting or with parameters that
        the program does not support, it might not play back properly.

        > 73,
        > Rich VE3KI
        >

        > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "David Pickard" <nm5z@> wrote:
        > >
        > > These files were recorded on an iphone and sound fine using windows
        media player after I convert them to a wav file and edit them with audicity.
        I use these all the time in Windwarbler with no problems. I plugged the
        sample cq.wav file that comes with the software and it sounds fine.

        > > David
        > >

        > > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "David Pickard" <nm5z@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > N1MM logger is screwing with my wav files making them sound like they
        are coming over the North pole. Any idea why? Need info asap as I plan on
        running NAQP.

        > > > David

      • John Bednar
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 17 3:07 AM
          David,

          Did you record the wave files using N1MM Logger?

          I think you will learn that your problem has everything to do with the files
          you created and nothing to do with N1MM logger.

          I have tried everything including recording wav files on my computer but
          they drag and break up when plugged into n1mm. The only wav file that works
          flawlessly is the sample cq.wav that came with the software.

          David

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "rich_ve3ki" <ve3ki@...> wrote:

          > Try recording the wav files from inside the program (Ctrl+Shift+Fx) to see
          if that fixes the problem. I'm no expert on ssb messages, but I believe
          there are various different sub-types of wav files (different sampling
          rates, number of bits, etc.), and as I recall, N1MM Logger only supports a
          limited subset of these wav file sub-types. If the file was recorded with
          different parameters than N1MM Logger was expecting or with parameters that
          the program does not support, it might not play back properly.

          > 73,
          > Rich VE3KI
          >

          > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "David Pickard" <nm5z@> wrote:
          > >
          > > These files were recorded on an iphone and sound fine using windows
          media player after I convert them to a wav file and edit them with audicity.
          I use these all the time in Windwarbler with no problems. I plugged the
          sample cq.wav file that comes with the software and it sounds fine.

          > > David
          > >

          > > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "David Pickard" <nm5z@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > N1MM logger is screwing with my wav files making them sound like they
          are coming over the North pole. Any idea why? Need info asap as I plan on
          running NAQP.

          > > > David

        • Joe
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 17 6:19 AM
            On this similar topic.

            I would love to make my wave files using N1MM, But I have tried on all
            four computers I have here, 3 standard desktops, and one laptop, and
            even with the mic gain maxed out, and the mic boost box checked, this
            Heil headset just does not have enough output. Anyone have a fix for this?

            Joe WB9SBD
            Sig
            The Original Rolling Ball Clock
            Idle Tyme
            Idle-Tyme.com
            http://www.idle-tyme.com
            On 8/17/2013 5:07 AM, John Bednar wrote:
            > David,
            >
            > Did you record the wave files using N1MM Logger?
            >
            > I think you will learn that your problem has everything to do with the files
            > you created and nothing to do with N1MM logger.
            >
            > John, K3CT

          • Doug Scribner
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 17 6:43 AM
              Joe,

              Which Heil headset?

              What is the recording hardware and what recording application are you using?

              Describe the complete setup...

              Doug - K1ZO

              I would love to make my wave files using N1MM, But I have tried on all
              four computers I have here, 3 standard desktops, and one laptop, and
              even with the mic gain maxed out, and the mic boost box checked, this
              Heil headset just does not have enough output. Anyone have a fix for this?

              Joe WB9SBD
              Sig
              The Original Rolling Ball Clock
              Idle Tyme
              Idle-Tyme.com
              http://www.idle-tyme.com
              On 8/17/2013 5:07 AM, John Bednar wrote:
              > David,
              >
              > Did you record the wave files using N1MM Logger?
              >
              > I think you will learn that your problem has everything to do with the files
              > you created and nothing to do with N1MM logger.
              >
              > John, K3CT

              No virus found in this message.

            • Steve London
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 17 6:46 AM
                Same issues here. I built a microphone amp that goes between the mic and
                computer mic/line in . Needed about 20 dB of gain.

                73,
                Steve, N2IC

              • Joe
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 17 7:02 AM
                  Heil "Proset" headset w boom mic. Mic is the HC-4 element.

                  what do you mean by "Recording Hardware"?

                  As far as "Recording Application" I have tried

                  The generic Windows "Sound Recorder"
                  "Audacity"
                  "Goldwave"

                  None give good audio levels unless I literally scream, I mean vocalize
                  so loudly that someone 50 yards away would have no problem understanding
                  what I am saying. and then it is still only like 50% modulated.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 17 7:06 AM
                    How good was this homebrew amp?

                    I thought of doing this also, but havent yet because I of course spent a
                    lot of my money getting that Mic / headset, and don't want to mess up
                    the mic charateristics with a non linear amp and mess up the output ya know?

                    On 8/17/2013 8:46 AM, Steve London wrote:
                    > Same issues here. I built a microphone amp that goes between the mic
                    > and computer mic/line in . Needed about 20 dB of gain.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > Steve, N2IC
                    >
                    > On 08/17/2013 07:19 AM, Joe wrote:
                    >> On this similar topic.
                    >>
                    >> I would love to make my wave files using N1MM, But I have tried on all
                    >> four computers I have here, 3 standard desktops, and one laptop, and
                    >> even with the mic gain maxed out, and the mic boost box checked, this
                    >> Heil headset just does not have enough output. Anyone have a fix for
                    >> this?
                    >>
                    >> Joe WB9SBD
                    >> Sig
                    >> The Original Rolling Ball Clock
                    >> Idle Tyme
                    >> Idle-Tyme.com
                    >> http://www.idle-tyme.com
                    >> On 8/17/2013 5:07 AM, John Bednar wrote:
                    >>> David,
                    >>>
                    >>> Did you record the wave files using N1MM Logger?
                    >>>
                    >>> I think you will learn that your problem has everything to do with
                    >>> the files
                    >>> you created and nothing to do with N1MM logger.
                    >>>
                    >>> John, K3CT

                  • Dave NJ4F
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 17 7:19 AM
                      Steve, was that a kit? I need the same thing here. I could build it if I had
                      some plans, or if there is a link to one... Is it a standard mike preamp that
                      I see kits for all over the web?

                      Dave, NJ4F

                      Same issues here. I built a microphone amp that goes between the mic and
                      computer mic/line in . Needed about 20 dB of gain.

                      73,
                      Steve, N2IC

                      On 08/17/2013 07:19 AM, Joe wrote:
                      > On this similar topic.
                      >
                      > I would love to make my wave files using N1MM, But I have tried on all
                      > four computers I have here, 3 standard desktops, and one laptop, and
                      > even with the mic gain maxed out, and the mic boost box checked, this
                      > Heil headset just does not have enough output. Anyone have a fix for this?
                      >
                      > Joe WB9SBD
                      > Sig
                      > The Original Rolling Ball Clock
                      > Idle Tyme
                      > Idle-Tyme.com
                      > http://www.idle-tyme.com
                      > On 8/17/2013 5:07 AM, John Bednar wrote:
                      >> David,
                      >>
                      >> Did you record the wave files using N1MM Logger?
                      >>
                      >> I think you will learn that your problem has everything to do with
                      >> the files you created and nothing to do with N1MM logger.
                      >>
                      >> John, K3CT

                    • David G3YYD
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 17 8:01 AM
                        The real problem is the Heil mic insert. It is a low output device as you
                        have found. The sound card microphone input is designed for an electret
                        capsule that has a very high output compared to the Heil. The answer is to
                        just buy a 50c electret capsule, wire a bit of screen lead on the end with a
                        3.5mm plug. The sound card will provide the DC voltage to power the
                        electret's internal pre-amp.

                        This will give a very flat frequency response from almost DC to 20KHz+ as
                        well as being very linear. Then using Audacity effects equaliser construct
                        an equalisation pattern that generates the response you want. Using the
                        Audacity spectrum display can be very helpful in tweaking the equalisation
                        response.

                        73 David G3YYD

                        PS I like many in the UK tried Heil and gave up for a much cheaper gaming
                        headset like the Yamaha C500 used by many in the USA. It has much higher
                        output equalised by the K3 and is more comfortable than the Heil.

                        Heil "Proset" headset w boom mic. Mic is the HC-4 element.

                        what do you mean by "Recording Hardware"?

                        As far as "Recording Application" I have tried

                        The generic Windows "Sound Recorder"
                        "Audacity"
                        "Goldwave"

                        None give good audio levels unless I literally scream, I mean vocalize so
                        loudly that someone 50 yards away would have no problem understanding what I
                        am saying. and then it is still only like 50% modulated.

                        Joe WB9SBD
                        Sig
                        The Original Rolling Ball Clock
                        Idle Tyme
                        Idle-Tyme.com
                        http://www.idle-tyme.com
                        On 8/17/2013 8:43 AM, Doug Scribner wrote:
                        > Joe,
                        >
                        > Which Heil headset?
                        >
                        > What is the recording hardware and what recording application are you
                        using?

                        > Describe the complete setup...
                        >
                        > Doug - K1ZO

                      • k3ct
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 17 8:24 AM
                          Also, check the windows sound card mic config windows.  Some have a 10 or 20db boost setting.

                          John, K3CT

                          Heil "Proset" headset w boom mic.  Mic is the HC-4 element.

                          what do you mean by "Recording Hardware"?

                          As far as "Recording Application" I have tried

                          The generic Windows "Sound Recorder"
                          "Audacity"
                          "Goldwave"

                          None give good audio levels unless I literally scream, I mean vocalize so
                          loudly that someone 50 yards away would have no problem understanding what I
                          am saying. and then it is still only like 50% modulated.

                          Joe WB9SBD
                          Sig
                          The Original Rolling Ball Clock
                          Idle Tyme
                          Idle-Tyme.com
                          http://www.idle-tyme.com
                          On 8/17/2013 8:43 AM, Doug Scribner wrote:
                          > Joe,
                          >
                          > Which Heil headset?
                          >
                          > What is the recording hardware and what recording application are you
                          using?

                          > Describe the complete setup...
                          >
                          > Doug - K1ZO

                        • Joe Subich, W4TV
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 17 8:27 AM
                            > Heil "Proset" headset w boom mic. Mic is the HC-4 element.

                            If you have plugged it directly into the sound card "mic" jack
                            do you have a 1 to 10 uF capacitor installed in series with the
                            HC4? Most sound cards have +5V on the mic line (bias for the
                            typical electret "computer headset"). That DC applied to the
                            dynamic element will significantly reduce the already low output.

                            In my experience, the Heil dynamic elements need a blocking cap
                            and most sound cards require the +20 dB boost enabled in order
                            to work properly.

                            The alternative is to build a preamp like shown here:
                            http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/sbmicamp.html
                            delete R1, and C3. Increase R2 to 330K or 470K to reduce the gain
                            (the circuit shown has about 36 dB of gain). C1/C2 can be almost any
                            value above .1 uF. The transistor can be any general purpose NPN.

                            Or here:
                            http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/amp1.htm The +3 to 9 volt
                            point is the ring of the soundcard mic input the output is the tip.
                            Eliminate R1 when using a dynamic (e.g., Heil) mic.

                            Or here:
                            http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/in-prac/best-of.htm#icom

                            73,

                            ... Joe, W4TV

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 17 9:20 AM
                              Ahhh,

                              Maybe that will help,

                              Because No, just plugged it straight in, no cap. with the Heil-4 what
                              cap would be optimum?

                            • Joe Subich, W4TV
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 17 10:01 AM
                                Try:

                                http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102515&filterName=Type&filterValue=Metal+film+capacitors

                                Install it in the mic housing or earpiece of the ProSet - in series
                                with the mic "hot" lead. That way no matter what you connect the
                                ProSet to you will have no bias issues.

                                You could use a larger electrolytic:
                                http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102481&filterName=Type&filterValue=Electrolytic+capacitors

                                but it would be harder to install due to the space requirements.

                                I only show the RadioShack since these are listed as "in store"
                                and likely to be something you can find locally in most areas of
                                the US. Other supplier would work just as well.

                                73,

                                ... Joe, W4TV

                              • David Pickard
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 18 1:25 PM
                                  A little update.. I never did get my clips to work in N1MM despite good suggestions from K1ZO suggesting editing the clips with audacity so ending up using N3FJP's contest software.

                                  K1ZO suggested resampling the clips to 8k and exporting the file to WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM. I emailed him one of the clips and he did the editing and sent it back. I plugged it into N1MM and it worked fine so I did the same procedure to another clip but it still warbled so I don't have a clue to why.

                                  No I am not able to record within N1MM. My OS is Vista and the sound card shows as an AMD in device manager. I really like N1MM better than N3FJP so hope to figure it out in time for the next phone contest.

                                  I use a Kenwood TS-570DG and most of my operating is CW oriented but do run a little phone at times but due to an accident 40 years ago my voice is weak and what I call croaky so I use voice clips recorded by my friend K2FF. It works quite well with contests and DX but ocassionaly bites a bit sometimes when the op on the other end asks me a question and then it gets awkward. I have worked a lot of DX and contests with my voice but it wears out quickly and ocassionally get remarks from other hams usually suggesting there is somethimg wrong with my audio.

                                  David

                                  --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Lowery <dxspider@...> wrote:

                                  > David,
                                  >
                                  > Are you able to record a test from WITHIN N1MM...and then play it back?  How does that method sound?
                                  >
                                  > 73 - FF
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • David Pickard
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 18 2:45 PM
                                    OK, K1ZO finally got me on the right path. I was editing the clips in audacity but discovered it was not saving my changes. Doug told me to change the PROJECT RATE at the bottom left on the screen to 11025hz and it now works fine in N1MM. THANKS Doug..

                                    David

                                    --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "David Pickard" <nm5z@...> wrote:

                                    > A little update.. I never did get my clips to work in N1MM despite good suggestions from K1ZO suggesting editing the clips with audacity so ending up using N3FJP's contest software.
                                    >
                                    > K1ZO suggested resampling the clips to 8k and exporting the file to WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM. I emailed him one of the clips and he did the editing and sent it back. I plugged it into N1MM and it worked fine so I did the same procedure to another clip but it still warbled so I don't have a clue to why.
                                    >
                                    > No I am not able to record within N1MM. My OS is Vista and the sound card shows as an AMD in device manager. I really like N1MM better than N3FJP so hope to figure it out in time for the next phone contest.
                                    >
                                    > I use a Kenwood TS-570DG and most of my operating is CW oriented but do run a little phone at times but due to an accident 40 years ago my voice is weak and what I call croaky so I use voice clips recorded by my friend K2FF. It works quite well with contests and DX but ocassionaly bites a bit sometimes when the op on the other end asks me a question and then it gets awkward. I have worked a lot of DX and contests with my voice but it wears out quickly and ocassionally get remarks from other hams usually suggesting there is somethimg wrong with my audio.
                                    >
                                    > David
                                    >

                                    > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Lowery <dxspider@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > David,
                                    > >
                                    > > Are you able to record a test from WITHIN N1MM...and then play it back?  How does that method sound?
                                    > >
                                    > > 73 - FF

                                  • Doug Scribner
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 18 3:19 PM
                                      I was very happy to assist you David. Glad all is right now...

                                      73
                                      Doug - K1ZO