Re: [N1MM] FLDIGI & CW

  • Jack W6NF
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2013
      On 8/4/2013 10:27 AM, Larry wrote:
      > Not all countries have the restrictions we in the US have. In some places I
      > can operate SSB at 14.025 according to the country rules. In general,
      > contesters will be in the "normal" band plan segments for a given mode.
      > Operating RTTY at 14.025, while legal, could be somewhat lonely (except for
      > a "few" CW ops commenting on your operating skill). I have seen QSLs where a
      > logging program made assumptions about mode based on frequency that were
      > wrong. I would not be too quick to try and change the current N1MM scheme.
      >
      > 73, Larry W6NWS

      Canada is like that...6kHz bandwidth limit on all HF bands save for
      30-meters where it is 1kHz. I *could* operate SSB at 14.003, if I were
      inclined, but VEs seem to follow the RAC band-plan very well so you
      don't hear that happen.

      --
      Jack, W6NF/VE4
      Shelley, K7MKL/VE4
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2013
        The digital activity is still generally segregated from the phone
        activity except perhaps in the case of RTTY/LSB on 40 meters. It
        is still easy to do frequency discrimination for *USB* and *digital*
        - particularly CW and Phone or digital if one is setting the rig to
        CW for CW, to RTTY for FSK RTTY and USB for other digital modes.

        Yes, there may be some overlap *but* it is minor and I do not know of
        many who use N1MM Logger than would even think of using USB voice or
        CW in any of the common "digital" bands during an *all mode* contest
        (CW/RTTY/Voice) and I don't know of a *single contest* (Field Day is
        an "operating event") that combines CW, PSK and Phone.

        Since the point is to distinguish among modes in the context of the
        selected contest, that should be trivial based on transceiver mode,
        bandplan and contest mode(s). The capability has existed in other
        software for many years. The logic is almost trivial.

        Is transceiver mode CW --- (yes) -> Operating mode is CW

        Is transceiver mode RTTY - (yes) -> Operating mode is RTTY (FSK)

        Is transceiver mode LSB - is frequency in phone band -> Mode is Phone
        | |
        +-------------------+

        Is transceiver mode USB - is frequency in phone band -> Mode is Phone
        | |

        Is transceiver mode = "RTTY Mode" -> Mode is RTTY (AFSK/AFSK-R)

        Is transceiver mode = "PSK Mode" --> Mode is PSK (Digital)

        mode is unknown (use digital if DI is open)

        Where "phone band" is defined by the contest bandplan. Those outside
        the US who want to push the phone limit down for a given contest can
        certainly edit the contest bandplan. Note: this does not allow for
        "tone keyed" CW (CW as a digital mode) which is a bad idea in any case.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV