RE: [N1MM] Re: HELP with KX3 and MMVARI setup

  • Bill Conkling
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2013
      I'm sorry but I don't understand the second part of what you said.

      I am in AFSK A mode, and I have unchecked the "TurnAutoTRXUpdate On". I
      can't find the second setting you mentioned, and what offsets should I set
      under Digital Interface Soundcard/Setup/Settings/Alignment Freqs or Shift
      Frequency Compensation?

      And I can't figure what you meant by "Display Radio Frequency and not Exact
      Freq in DI Caption". Please explain.

      Also, I can't find out what the 'pitch' is on the KX3 in digital mode.

      Thanks for your help....

      ...bill nr4c

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2013
        I have a K3, not a KX3, but their user interfaces are similar. On the K3, the PITCH control is the one used to adjust the CW sidetone. In FSK D and AFSK A modes, it can be used to set the mark tone that the DSP filters and CWT auto tuning are set to. The choices on the K3 are 915 Hz, 1275 Hz, 1445 Hz and 2125 Hz. There is a PITCH control on the KX3 as well (same knob as is used for CMP - 6th from the left on the bottom of the front panel). I don't know for sure whether it performs the same function in AFSK A as it does on the K3, but I'd be somewhat surprised if it didn't.

        The MMTTY Alignment frequency in the DI window's Setup > Settings dialog window, which is the same as the default (HAM) Mark frequency in MMTTY, should be the same as the K3/KX3's PITCH setting. For MMVARI and Fldigi, the Alignment frequency should be 85 Hz higher (for these two programs, it is the Centre frequency, not the Mark frequency). For example, if the radio's PITCH setting is 2125 Hz, the MMVARI Alignment frequency should be 2210 Hz. This will center the MMVARI tones in the radio's DSP filter bandpass. The Shift Frequency Compensation setting is normally (always?) zero.

        The "Display Radio Freq and not Exact Freq in DI Caption" check box is on the same dialog window as the Alignment frequencies. It's the second check box down from the top left corner. This should be set oppositely to the "Turn AutoTRXOffset On" menu item, e.g. if the menu item is not checked, this check box should be checked. The AutoTRXOffset menu item controls the frequency that is logged, spotted to the DX cluster, and displayed in the Bandmap and Entry windows; the Display Radio Freq check box controls the frequency that is displayed in the title bar of the MMVARI window, or if you are using MMTTY or Fldigi, in the title bar of the DI window. They are separate, and have opposite default positions, for historical reasons.