F key failure

  • Dick White
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2013
      I also had problems with the F keys in the DLDX RTTY contest. After a few
      minutes of operating they would suddenly not work. Sometimes they would
      start working again and sometimes I had to restart the contest.

      I have used N1MM for several years and I never used 1-12 as CQ and 13-24 as
      S&P. I always have run both CQ and S&P in the first 12 F keys and have never
      had a problem until this contest. This has happened after I up graded to v.
      13.6.0.

      In my set up F 1-2-3 are for CQ and 4-5 for S&P response. The other keys are
      for "AGN" "NR" and others. Has always worked for me before.

      73 Dick KS0M

      Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is the way it is. How you deal
      with it is what counts.

      Richard C. (Dick) White

      Fulton, MO. 65251 U.S.A.

      Amateur Radio Station KS0M

    • Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2013
        Dick - zip your RTTY function key .MC file from that contest and send it to
        me.

        -larry (K8UT)

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2013
          Just to be clear - so long as you have nothing in slots 13-24, the
          program uses 1-12 for both Run and S&P.

          when they stopped working, would none of them work? Did you get any
          error messages on-screen, such as something about "switch to"?

          73, Pete N4ZR
          Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
          http://reversebeacon.net,
          blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
          For spots, please go to your favorite
          ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

          On 7/7/2013 9:23 AM, Dick White wrote:
          > I also had problems with the F keys in the DLDX RTTY contest. After a few
          > minutes of operating they would suddenly not work. Sometimes they would
          > start working again and sometimes I had to restart the contest.
          >
          > I have used N1MM for several years and I never used 1-12 as CQ and 13-24 as
          > S&P. I always have run both CQ and S&P in the first 12 F keys and have never
          > had a problem until this contest. This has happened after I up graded to v.
          > 13.6.0.
          >
          > In my set up F 1-2-3 are for CQ and 4-5 for S&P response. The other keys are
          > for "AGN" "NR" and others. Has always worked for me before.
          >
          > 73 Dick KS0M
          >

          > Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is the way it is. How you deal
          > with it is what counts.
          >
          > Richard C. (Dick) White
          >
          > Fulton, MO. 65251 U.S.A.
          >
          > Amateur Radio Station KS0M

        • Dick White
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 7, 2013
            Larry,

            I hope I did this right as I have never zipped a file before. Let me know if
            I sent the wrong file or whatever.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 7, 2013
              Dick,

              You can copy and paste the f-key configuration into the body of your message
              to the reflector.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2013
                Pete,

                All F keys stopped working. The 13-24 macros did have messages in them. I
                did not put them there and must have come with the up grade ?? I did not
                get an error message at any time. The F keys just stopped working.

                Dick KS0M

                Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is the way it is. How you deal
                with it is what counts.

                Richard C. (Dick) White

                Fulton, MO. 65251 U.S.A.

                Amateur Radio Station KS0M

                Just to be clear - so long as you have nothing in slots 13-24, the
                program uses 1-12 for both Run and S&P.

                when they stopped working, would none of them work? Did you get any
                error messages on-screen, such as something about "switch to"?

                73, Pete N4ZR
                Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                http://reversebeacon.net,
                blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                For spots, please go to your favorite
                ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

                On 7/7/2013 9:23 AM, Dick White wrote:
                > I also had problems with the F keys in the DLDX RTTY contest. After a few
                > minutes of operating they would suddenly not work. Sometimes they would
                > start working again and sometimes I had to restart the contest.
                >
                > I have used N1MM for several years and I never used 1-12 as CQ and 13-24
                as
                > S&P. I always have run both CQ and S&P in the first 12 F keys and have
                never
                > had a problem until this contest. This has happened after I up graded to
                v.
                > 13.6.0.
                >
                > In my set up F 1-2-3 are for CQ and 4-5 for S&P response. The other keys
                are
                > for "AGN" "NR" and others. Has always worked for me before.
                >
                > 73 Dick KS0M
                >

                > Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is the way it is. How you deal
                > with it is what counts.
                >
                > Richard C. (Dick) White
                >
                > Fulton, MO. 65251 U.S.A.
                >
                > Amateur Radio Station KS0M

              • John Bednar
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 7, 2013
                  Dick,

                  I saw this for the first time during Field Day. It was caused by RF in the shack getting into the computers. Rebooting the computers returned the program to normal operation. Once we cured the RF problem, we didn't have any issue for the remainder of FD.

                  You might have the same issue.

                  John, K3CT

                • Pete Smith N4ZR
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 7, 2013
                    Dick, the function key message editor is not the same as it was. You
                    really need to read carefully through the section I flagged for you -
                    several of us spent a lot of time on this feature and the manual's
                    explanation of it.

                    On 7/7/2013 10:16 AM, Dick White wrote:
                    > Pete,
                    >
                    > All F keys stopped working. The 13-24 macros did have messages in them. I
                    > did not put them there and must have come with the up grade ?? I did not
                    > get an error message at any time. The F keys just stopped working.
                    >
                    > Dick KS0M
                    >

                    > Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is the way it is. How you deal
                    > with it is what counts.
                    >
                    > Richard C. (Dick) White
                    >
                    > Fulton, MO. 65251 U.S.A.
                    >
                    > Amateur Radio Station KS0M

                  • Dick White
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 7, 2013
                      Pete,

                      I know the editor was changed. I found that out several contests ago, but I
                      have never had any problem until this contest. I always set up the F keys
                      before each contest. I do not save the F key messages as I usually want to
                      make some changes and it is just as easy for me to do it each time I set up.
                      Old guys like me (86) do not always like to change habits J I do not use
                      rig control by the computer. I have read through the editor once today and
                      will keep looking at it to make sure I understand. But like I said, I have
                      used the new editor several times with no problems.

                      I appreciate your help. The N1MM contest program is the best I have used in
                      the past 38 years.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 7, 2013
                        Dick

                        From one not quite so Old,

                        Make sure you have the correct MODE set for the F-keys your setting up.

                        I've made that mistake then could not find the MACROS ??

                        K7QQ ( 81 ) THIS coming Wed.

                        Rex

                        From: N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>
                        Dick, the function key message editor is not the same as it was. You
                        really need to read carefully through the section I flagged for you -
                        several of us spent a lot of time on this feature and the manual's
                        explanation of it.

                        73, Pete N4ZR
                        Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                        http://reversebeacon.net,
                        blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                        For spots, please go to your favorite
                        ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

                        <http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3266/51d9f08c4e490708a247fmp03vuc>
                        Want to place your ad here?
                        Advertise on United Online
                        <http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3266/51d9f08c4e490708a247fmp03vuc>
                        www.adsonar.com

                      • Pete Smith N4ZR
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 8, 2013
                          FB, Dick - I somehow misread your previous to mean that you had not
                          changed function key messages for over a year, hence my thought that
                          maybe what you were seeing didn't look familiar:-) .