RE: [N1MM] This contact cannot be logged as the operator field contains an error

  • John Bednar
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 5 5:47 PM
      Mike,

      Did you look at the Config option to make sure that Networked Computer mode
      wasn't checked?

      I can't think of any keystroke that could cause this. Nobody has reported it
      either.

      Rich's suggestion to check the Operator setting is a good.

      When it happens again, make notes, and try to reproduce it. Once you can,
      upgrade to the latest program version, verify that it's reproducible, then
      send us the steps.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 6 4:26 AM
        The RX window is not freezing when I have the mouse over a call with the entry
        window clear. Did something change?

        Dave, NJ4F
      • Rick Ellison
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 6 4:53 AM
          Is it turned on?? In the last version I added and on/off switch..

          73 Rick N2AMG

          The RX window is not freezing when I have the mouse over a call with the
          entry window clear. Did something change?

          Dave, NJ4F

        • Dave NJ4F
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 6 5:56 AM
            I missed that one. Looking for the switch, where is it?

            Dave, NJ4F

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 6 6:06 AM
              Under the RX window menu heading should be the first in the list that opens
              up.

              73 Rick N2AMG

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 6 6:09 AM
                My Mistake the correct placement is one up from the RX window menu

                73 Rick N2AMG

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 6 6:09 AM
                  Dave,

                  From the release notes.....

                  Digital - Adds On/Off setting for RX Window Pause, Defaults to Off, Located
                  on Setting menu (Coded by N2AMG)

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 6 6:19 AM
                    Of all the places I looked, I missed that one. Thanks, Rick.

                    Dave, NJ4F

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 6 6:21 AM
                      No mistake. Meant to add, the switch is good, and the location is good, I just
                      didn't think to look there.

                      Dave, NJ4F

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 6 7:11 AM
                        I know, my bad. I remembered seeing that after Rick reminded me. Only excuse
                        is I'm retired, means I ain't young !!

                        Dave, NJ4F

                        Digital - Adds On/Off setting for RX Window Pause, Defaults to Off, Located on
                        Setting menu (Coded by N2AMG)

                        I missed that one. Looking for the switch, where is it?

                        Dave, NJ4F

                        Is it turned on?? In the last version I added and on/off switch..

                        73 Rick N2AMG

                        The RX window is not freezing when I have the mouse over a call with the entry
                        window clear. Did something change?

                        Dave, NJ4F

                      • VE9AA Mike
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 6 8:23 AM
                          OK, it was working fine.(but I thought I would try your steps, Rich)
                          I opened INFO, saw in small black font my call (ve9aa)
                          I typed ctrl-o and changed the operator to ve9aaa (my xyl)
                          I logged one ficticious callsign.
                          Typed ctrl-o again and entered my own call ve9aa and the logging entry window vanished !
                          Windows 7 laptop.
                          If I hover my mouse above the N1MM icon in the taskbar, what pops up is a 1" x 1" representation of the main logging window but it's apparently disappeared. A little counter productive. LOL

                          Gonna have to reboot,

                          Oh how do I do this to myself? LOL!

                          Thanks

                          Mike

                          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "rich_ve3ki" <ve3ki@...> wrote:

                          > Mike,
                          >
                          > You can enter your call sign or name (at least three characters) into the operator field either by typing the OPON command into the call sign field or by typing Ctrl+O. If you hit Ctrl+O by mistake while trying to type something else, you might have gotten something screwy entered there. You can see what is currently in that field by opening the Info window - it's displayed in big blue letters in the right side of the window.
                          >
                          > 73,
                          > Rich VE3KI
                          >

                          > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "VE9AA Mike" <ve9aa@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > OK, how do I get myself into (or out of) this mess? (pse)
                          > > This message randomly comes up every week or so, when I am just doing general DXing. Often in the heat of the battle of logging some rare
                          > > DX on 6m or maybe HF too.
                          > > I end up rebooting the computer (or task mangler and restaring n1mm.exe and cwif.exe) and it fixes itself.
                          > > I am only ME...I have not changed any info, nor do I know what the operator field even is !
                          > > Help ! (please)
                          > >
                          > > And thanks
                          > >
                          > > Mike VE9AA

                        • VE9AA Mike
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 6 8:29 AM
                            EDIT: I wiggled and jiggled the lower task bar around and was able to get the entry window back w/o rebooting. It was stuffed behind the task bar. Not sure how this happens, but another local has had this happen with his N1MM program too. (not sure how)

                            Also, I do see my callsign in large blue font now.
                            I never knew it was there as that window is either never used
                            or I have it resized and saved as very very small.1"x1" or so.

                            Back to the original query. I doubt I have ever hit CTRL-O.
                            I keep thinking maybe it's something like ALT-N or ALT-K I've hit as I often populate the 6m band map myself as I tune up and down the band and sometimes if I cannot ID a signal I'll hit ALT-M

                            I use very very few ALT-Anything when DXing or contesting.

                            Anyways.

                            All good here @ the moment. I'll try to figure out what I've done next time it happens.

                            Cheers,

                            Mike VE9AA

                            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "VE9AA Mike" <ve9aa@...> wrote:

                            > OK, it was working fine.(but I thought I would try your steps, Rich)
                            > I opened INFO, saw in small black font my call (ve9aa)
                            > I typed ctrl-o and changed the operator to ve9aaa (my xyl)
                            > I logged one ficticious callsign.
                            > Typed ctrl-o again and entered my own call ve9aa and the logging entry window vanished !
                            > Windows 7 laptop.
                            > If I hover my mouse above the N1MM icon in the taskbar, what pops up is a 1" x 1" representation of the main logging window but it's apparently disappeared. A little counter productive. LOL
                            >
                            > Gonna have to reboot,
                            >
                            > Oh how do I do this to myself? LOL!
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > Mike
                            >
                            > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "rich_ve3ki" <ve3ki@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Mike,
                            > >
                            > > You can enter your call sign or name (at least three characters) into the operator field either by typing the OPON command into the call sign field or by typing Ctrl+O. If you hit Ctrl+O by mistake while trying to type something else, you might have gotten something screwy entered there. You can see what is currently in that field by opening the Info window - it's displayed in big blue letters in the right side of the window.
                            > >
                            > > 73,
                            > > Rich VE3KI
                            > >

                            > > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "VE9AA Mike" <ve9aa@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > OK, how do I get myself into (or out of) this mess? (pse)
                            > > > This message randomly comes up every week or so, when I am just doing general DXing. Often in the heat of the battle of logging some rare
                            > > > DX on 6m or maybe HF too.
                            > > > I end up rebooting the computer (or task mangler and restaring n1mm.exe and cwif.exe) and it fixes itself.
                            > > > I am only ME...I have not changed any info, nor do I know what the operator field even is !
                            > > > Help ! (please)
                            > > >
                            > > > And thanks
                            > > >
                            > > > Mike VE9AA

                          • rich_ve3ki
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 6 9:11 AM
                              The operator field displayed in the Info window is the current value. This operator name is logged with each QSO, so you can check what the value of the operator field was during any previous QSO by selecting that QSO in the log and opening the full-edit window. The Op field is near the bottom of the edit window. This field is editable.

                              Of course, maybe the reference to the operator field in the error message is a red herring and it is actually something else that is interfering with logging. When you get this message, have you tried Ctrl+Alt+Enter to "force log" the QSO?

                              Another thought: when you are using Ctrl+ or Alt+ hot-keys, you have to be careful not to press the Windows key by mistake. Windows has lots of shortcuts using the Windows key, e.g. Windows+M will minimize all open windows.