Re: [N1MM] Re: Networking at Field Day

  • Buck Calabro
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 30, 2013
      On 29 June 2013 18:39, Terry G. Glagowski / W1TR <w1tr@...> wrote:

      > **
      >
      > If you have some suggestions for equipment (nomenclature or model numbers)
      > to use at the fiber ends, sources of that, and sources of fiber and what
      > type (nomenclature). I'd appreciate it.

      The fiber went in service in 2006. The exact gear you'd use depends
      entirely on the kind of fiber you use. We're using OM1, ST-ST 62.5/125
      duplex multimode fiber. It has a bayonet style mount. We have a TRENDnet
      TFC-110MST Fiber Media Converter to connect the fiber to the switches. The
      switches are whatever 100M switches we had donated - they're different in
      each truck.

      As for the fiber itself, we're using only premade fiber. I didn't make up
      any ends; that looks too finicky to me. I kept looking on Ebay for ST-ST
      fiber. 1 and 3 meter long patch cables are always available, and even now
      I see a 60 meter cable and a 78 meter one. The key to remember is
      'multimode' - single mode fiber won't plug into a multi-mode jack :-)

      Fiber has a bunch of different end connectors. We didn't choose ST because
      it was 'the best' - we chose it because that's what someone donated to the
      club! It seems that we'd be just as happy with SC, LC or MT-RJ ends (to
      name a few). I'm not a fiber guy - I'm a mainframe programmer. so this
      stuff seemed like voodoo until I saw that it's pretty much plug and play.

      --buck KC2HIZ