RE: [N1MM] Re: Networking at Field Day

  • Terry G. Glagowski / W1TR
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 29, 2013
      I would like to hear about what you have...
      I have 2 purposes for this...
      1) FD... I need to make maybe as much as a 500 foot run (maybe even 1000 in
      future years depending on the site)...
      2) Home, to get rid of CAT5 between the DSL modem and the Router, and
      between the router and a couple of computers that I don't want on WiFi to
      make sure I can get to the router as a SysAdmin. Probably 50 feet max for
      those runs. Elsewhere in the house, WiFi is OK.

      73, Terry / W1TR : )

      From: Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@...>
      Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 20:52:10
      To: <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com>

      On 27 June 2013 23:50, Terry G. Glagowski / W1TR <w1tr@...
      <mailto:w1tr%40yccc.org> > wrote:

      > **
      >
      > Has anyone used OPTICAL FIBER?

      Yes.

      Not for field day, but for the ARRL June and September VHF+ contests. We
      operate from 3 trucks. One truck has 6M/2M, one has 222/432 and the 3rd has
      902 MHz -47 GHz.(4 operators). We run ST-ST multimode fiber between the
      trucks. Inside each truck is a media converter to go from fiber to Cat 5.
      That goes to a switch. Inside the truck, all the operating stations use
      regular Cat 5 from the PC to the switch. No RF problems on the computer
      network.

      I found 100M of ST-ST outdoor fiber for a ridiculously low price on Ebay
      which has been very reliable. I loosely string it through the trees to keep
      it off the ground.

      Some advice:
      Keep the protective caps on the fiber while you run it.
      Keep a small plastic container with you so you have a clean place to put the
      protective caps; don't get the polished ends of the fiber get dirty and
      don't let the protective caps get dirty.
      Bulkhead connectors are cheap and it beats fishing cable through holes in
      trucks.
      When the contest is done, carry your container with you and as you
      disconnect the fiber from the bulkheads/media converters, put the caps back
      on.
      Cap the bulkheads too.
      I use one of those reels for electrical extension cords to wind the fiber
      up. No issues after 4 years.
      Electrical tape will leave a sticky mess. I'm switching to velcro cable
      ties.

      Hope that helps.
      73 de Buck KC2HIZ

    • pmackanos
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 30, 2013
        W2RDX Rochester DX Association finally got into the 21st century at Field Day this year, we got our network working for the first time for the station computers and had internet access, so all stations had packet spots on their station monitors, it was a PIA, but with the help of AE2T, K2DB, K2RNY, W2LB, K2MTH, W3OAB, and K8FC, we finally got it all up and running in a networked environment. I have asked all of the above to send me a synopsis on what we did, so we can document it.
        Now all we have to do is get the "casual" SSB operators to learn how to work and chase spots !! The CW ops already knew what control up & down meant hi hi.
        We used a linksys wireless router and connected all the station computers to it.
        We made the MASTER computer a router, so we could get internet access (thru my cell phone as a wireless hotspot) and then linked the internet to the router computer, and the router computer to he linksys router. I am confused already, thanks to the above guru's, it finally worked, and performed flawlessly all weekend.

        Our only problem was the generator went down and took out one of the old dell desktops. (Before the event began.) Luckily I had a spare laptop in my van.

        73 Paul K2DB

        What kind of networking did you use?

        Wireless

        Did you use Wired Ethernet between distant points (i.e. several hundred
        feet)?

        No

        Did you use Wireless?

        Yes

        Did you use Optical Fiber?

        NO

        What were the considerations?

        Getting all stations networked on N1MM ( the easy part )Getting internet access and getting N1MM to get the spots from VE7CC cluster ( this took all the time.) Joe, K8FC finally came in and set us straight.

        Did RF get into your networking equipment, or vice versa?

        NO

        We ran 3A, had 1 SSB and 2 CW stations connected, along with 2 VHF station computers and a MASTER monitor computer.

        Paul K2DB

        73, Terry : )

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Terry G. Glagowski / W1TR" <w1tr@...> wrote:

        > For larger Field Day Groups.
        >
        > What kind of networking did you use?
        >
        > Did you use Wired Ethernet between distant points (i.e. several hundred
        > feet)?
        >
        > Did you use Wireless?
        >
        > Did you use Optical Fiber?
        >
        > What were the considerations?
        >
        > Did RF get into your networking equipment, or vice versa?
        >

        > 73, Terry : )
        >

        > Terry G. Glagowski / W1TR
        >
        > CMARA Office of the Secretary (Field Day) W1BIM
        > HAM: W1TR / USAF MARS: AFA1DI
        > 25 Hnath Road, Ashford, CT 06278
        > (860) 429-9444 (Home Landline)
        >
        > (781) 225-5458 (Work Office Landline)
        > (508) 864-0041 (Terry's cell)
        > (EMail) W1TR@... or W1TR@...
        > (Web) http://www.Glagowski.org/Radio

      • Buck Calabro
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 30, 2013
          On 29 June 2013 18:39, Terry G. Glagowski / W1TR <w1tr@...> wrote:

          > **
          >
          > If you have some suggestions for equipment (nomenclature or model numbers)
          > to use at the fiber ends, sources of that, and sources of fiber and what
          > type (nomenclature). I'd appreciate it.

          The fiber went in service in 2006. The exact gear you'd use depends
          entirely on the kind of fiber you use. We're using OM1, ST-ST 62.5/125
          duplex multimode fiber. It has a bayonet style mount. We have a TRENDnet
          TFC-110MST Fiber Media Converter to connect the fiber to the switches. The
          switches are whatever 100M switches we had donated - they're different in
          each truck.

          As for the fiber itself, we're using only premade fiber. I didn't make up
          any ends; that looks too finicky to me. I kept looking on Ebay for ST-ST
          fiber. 1 and 3 meter long patch cables are always available, and even now
          I see a 60 meter cable and a 78 meter one. The key to remember is
          'multimode' - single mode fiber won't plug into a multi-mode jack :-)

          Fiber has a bunch of different end connectors. We didn't choose ST because
          it was 'the best' - we chose it because that's what someone donated to the
          club! It seems that we'd be just as happy with SC, LC or MT-RJ ends (to
          name a few). I'm not a fiber guy - I'm a mainframe programmer. so this
          stuff seemed like voodoo until I saw that it's pretty much plug and play.

          --buck KC2HIZ