Re: [N1MM] Macro variable for sender's exchanage

  • Jim Shaw
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
      I surrender... I'm new to digi contesting and have old habits to break. Now wondering what other protocols I need to learn...
      Thanks for sharing your insights.
      Jim

      W2IRT <lists@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >

      ><!-- #ygrp-mkp { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial; margin: 10px 0; padding: 0 10px; } #ygrp-mkp hr { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd { color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight: 700; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0; } #ygrp-mkp #ads { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad { padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad p { margin: 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a { color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc { font-family: Arial; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd { margin: 10px 0px; font-weight: 700; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad { margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0; } #actions { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 11px; padding: 10px 0; } #activity { background-color: #e0ecee; float: left; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; padding: 10px; } #activity span { font-weight: 700; } #activity span:first-child { text-transform: uppercase; } #activity span a { color: #5085b6; text-decoration: none; } #activity span span { color: #ff7900; } #activity span .underline { text-decoration: underline; } .attach { clear: both; display: table; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; padding: 10px 0; width: 400px; } .attach div a { text-decoration: none; } .attach img { border: none; padding-right: 5px; } .attach label { display: block; margin-bottom: 5px; } .attach label a { text-decoration: none; } blockquote { margin: 0 0 0 4px; } .bold { font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 700; } .bold a { text-decoration: none; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } div.file-title a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } .green { color: #628c2a; } .MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0 0; } o { font-size: 0; } #photos div { float: left; width: 72px; } #photos div div { border: 1px solid #666666; height: 62px; overflow: hidden; width: 62px; } #photos div label { color: #666666; font-size: 10px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center; white-space: nowrap; width: 64px; } #reco-category { font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc { font-size: 77%; } .replbq { margin: 4px; } #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { /* border-right: 0px solid #000;*/ margin-right: 2px; padding-right: 5px; } #ygrp-mlmsg { font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif; *font-size: small; *font: x-small; } #ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size: inherit; font: 100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea { font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif; } #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code { font:115% monospace; *font-size:100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height: 1.22em; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo { padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { color: #ff7900; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco { margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a { font-size: 130%; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li { font-size: 77%; list-style-type: square; padding: 6px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 8px; } #ygrp-text { font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p { margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-text tt { font-size: 120%; } #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-right: none !important; } -->

    • KE1B
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
        On Jun 25, 2013, at 8:28 PM, Jim Shaw wrote:

        > I surrender... I'm new to digi contesting and have old habits to break. Now wondering what other protocols I need to learn...

        Two suggestions (and I'm sure you will get others):

        (1) Remove the phrase "please copy" from your contesting vocabulary. I worked one station this weekend at FD who actually wrote out "PLEASE COPY" on his RTTY exchange!

        (2) "QRZ?" is NOT your callsign. (Don't be one of those folks who finish a contest exchange and then say "QRZ?" rather than give their callsign.)

        And here's a third, courtesy of Bob Wolbert K6XX:

        "Don't send /QRP after your callsign. I already know that you are weak."

        -Rich KE1B
      • James Shaw
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
          Thanks Rich

          Cleaned up my macros.

          Jim

          On Jun 25, 2013, at 8:28 PM, Jim Shaw wrote:

          > I surrender... I'm new to digi contesting and have old habits to break.
          Now wondering what other protocols I need to learn...

          Two suggestions (and I'm sure you will get others):

          (1) Remove the phrase "please copy" from your contesting vocabulary. I
          worked one station this weekend at FD who actually wrote out "PLEASE COPY"
          on his RTTY exchange!

          (2) "QRZ?" is NOT your callsign. (Don't be one of those folks who finish a
          contest exchange and then say "QRZ?" rather than give their callsign.)

          And here's a third, courtesy of Bob Wolbert K6XX:

          "Don't send /QRP after your callsign. I already know that you are weak."

          -Rich KE1B

        • Gary K9GS
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
            "Please Copy" is poor operating technique that has, unfortunately,
            become the norm in FD. To make matters worse, I had a station send "pse
            cpy" on CW...makes me want to cry.

            I also noticed a lot of stations were able to copy my call, sometimes at
            high speed, but then they sent by hand (with a keyer usually, not a
            straight key) and could not send their own call or the exchange
            correctly more than once. I suspect CW readers are the culprit here.

            On 6/25/2013 4:10 PM, Greg wrote:

            > And you really can save quite a bit of time on each contact by
            > modifying your exhange.
            >
            > From: QSL your 2A MI, pse copy my 2B OH"
            > To: 2B OH
            >
            > I could never figure out the "pse copy". Its not likely that the
            > person on the other end is going to say, "No, I don't want to". :)
            > These add-ins use up your time and that of the person you are working.
            > And trust me...it adds up.
            >
            > 73 and have fun!
            > Greg
            > AB7R
            >
            > On 6/25/13, Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@...
            > <mailto:n4zr%40contesting.com>> wrote:
            > > Please, no. QSL or TNX or TU is quite adequate - you don't have to
            > > prove that you copied it correctly. It's when you're not sure that you
            > > should ask, and then specifically, unless you got nothing, in which case
            > > AGN? is OK.
            > >
            > > 73, Pete N4ZR
            > > Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
            > > http://reversebeacon.net,
            > > blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
            > > For spots, please go to your favorite
            > > ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.
            > >
            > > On 6/25/2013 2:05 PM, n8jql wrote:
            > >> I would like to send a QSL report which includes the sender's exchange.
            > >> For example: "QSL your 2A MI, pse copy my 2B OH" Is there a macro
            > >> variable for the sender's exchange?
            > >>
            > >> Thanks
            > >> Jim

            Gary K9GS

            Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
            Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
            CW Ops #1032 http://www.cwops.org

          • Tom Osborne
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
              Probably ops that never do a contest unless it's at FD. Seems like they
              mustg learn that 'please copy' from someone. I know back in the day of the
              DX lists, the 'last 2' and 'pse copy' were rampant. 73
              Tom W7WHY

              "Please Copy" is poor operating technique that has, unfortunately,
              become the norm in FD. To make matters worse, I had a station send "pse
              cpy" on CW...makes me want to cry.

              I also noticed a lot of stations were able to copy my call, sometimes at
              high speed, but then they sent by hand (with a keyer usually, not a
              straight key) and could not send their own call or the exchange
              correctly more than once. I suspect CW readers are the culprit here.
            • Robert Chudek - K0RC
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
                I was one source of poor CW sending. The FD computer would not key CW
                properly, generating random, erratic, and unreadable code! For my 3-hour
                shift, I had to use a traditional paddle. It's the first time I've used
                a paddle in about 15 years! "Not pretty" and at first, I was only
                slightly better than the computer generated junk!

                73 de Bob - K�RC in MN