Macro variable for sender's exchanage

  • n8jql
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
      I would like to send a QSL report which includes the sender's exchange.
      For example: "QSL your 2A MI, pse copy my 2B OH" Is there a macro
      variable for the sender's exchange?

      Thanks
      Jim
    • Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
        No.

        The N1MM Logger team members - as well as most other contesters - consider
        the echoing of exchange reports to be a bad practice.

        -larry (K8UT)
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
          Please, no. QSL or TNX or TU is quite adequate - you don't have to
          prove that you copied it correctly. It's when you're not sure that you
          should ask, and then specifically, unless you got nothing, in which case
          AGN? is OK.

          73, Pete N4ZR
          Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
          http://reversebeacon.net,
          blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
          For spots, please go to your favorite
          ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

          On 6/25/2013 2:05 PM, n8jql wrote:
          > I would like to send a QSL report which includes the sender's exchange.
          > For example: "QSL your 2A MI, pse copy my 2B OH" Is there a macro
          > variable for the sender's exchange?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Jim

        • Greg
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
            And you really can save quite a bit of time on each contact by
            modifying your exhange.

            From: QSL your 2A MI, pse copy my 2B OH"
            To: 2B OH

            I could never figure out the "pse copy". Its not likely that the
            person on the other end is going to say, "No, I don't want to". :)
            These add-ins use up your time and that of the person you are working.
            And trust me...it adds up.

            73 and have fun!
            Greg
            AB7R

            On 6/25/13, Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@...> wrote:
            > Please, no. QSL or TNX or TU is quite adequate - you don't have to
            > prove that you copied it correctly. It's when you're not sure that you
            > should ask, and then specifically, unless you got nothing, in which case
            > AGN? is OK.
            >
            > 73, Pete N4ZR
            > Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
            > http://reversebeacon.net,
            > blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
            > For spots, please go to your favorite
            > ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.
            >
            > On 6/25/2013 2:05 PM, n8jql wrote:
            >> I would like to send a QSL report which includes the sender's exchange.
            >> For example: "QSL your 2A MI, pse copy my 2B OH" Is there a macro
            >> variable for the sender's exchange?
            >>
            >> Thanks
            >> Jim

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
              If you want to acknowledge the other station's exchange "R 2B OH"
              or "TU 2B OH" is plenty. R (received) or TU (thank you) should be
              more than enough to confirm that you received the exchange.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 6/25/2013 5:10 PM, Greg wrote:
              > And you really can save quite a bit of time on each contact by
              > modifying your exhange.
              >
              > From: QSL your 2A MI, pse copy my 2B OH"
              > To: 2B OH
              >
              > I could never figure out the "pse copy". Its not likely that the
              > person on the other end is going to say, "No, I don't want to". :)
              > These add-ins use up your time and that of the person you are working.
              > And trust me...it adds up.
              >
              > 73 and have fun!
              > Greg
              > AB7R
              >

              > On 6/25/13, Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@...> wrote:
              >> Please, no. QSL or TNX or TU is quite adequate - you don't have to
              >> prove that you copied it correctly. It's when you're not sure that you
              >> should ask, and then specifically, unless you got nothing, in which case
              >> AGN? is OK.
              >>
              >> 73, Pete N4ZR
              >> Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
              >> http://reversebeacon.net,
              >> blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
              >> For spots, please go to your favorite
              >> ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.
              >>
              >> On 6/25/2013 2:05 PM, n8jql wrote:
              >>> I would like to send a QSL report which includes the sender's exchange.
              >>> For example: "QSL your 2A MI, pse copy my 2B OH" Is there a macro
              >>> variable for the sender's exchange?
              >>>
              >>> Thanks
              >>> Jim

            • W2IRT
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
                --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

                > If you want to acknowledge the other station's exchange "R 2B OH"
                > or "TU 2B OH" is plenty. R (received) or TU (thank you) should be
                > more than enough to confirm that you received the exchange.
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > ... Joe, W4TV

                I completely concur with Joe. It's bad enough having to contend with that awful readback nonsense on SSB this weekend (and increasingly during WPX as well), but please, no; not on CW.

                Think of it this way. Let's say you're running during Field Day and I call you, giving you 1E NNJ. If you do NOT get my report, then send ? or AGN or NR?. If you *did* get my report, I will know it because you'll send your report back to me. Works the same way if you're the S&P station and I'm running. I will transmit your callsign and 1E NNJ. If you send me your report I'll know you got my report right. If you send a ? or AGN or NR?, I'll know you missed something and I'll re-send.
              • Jim Shaw
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 25, 2013
                  I surrender... I'm new to digi contesting and have old habits to break. Now wondering what other protocols I need to learn...
                  Thanks for sharing your insights.
                  Jim

                  W2IRT <lists@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  >

                  ><!-- #ygrp-mkp { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial; margin: 10px 0; padding: 0 10px; } #ygrp-mkp hr { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd { color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight: 700; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0; } #ygrp-mkp #ads { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad { padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad p { margin: 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a { color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc { font-family: Arial; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd { margin: 10px 0px; font-weight: 700; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad { margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0; } #actions { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 11px; padding: 10px 0; } #activity { background-color: #e0ecee; float: left; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; padding: 10px; } #activity span { font-weight: 700; } #activity span:first-child { text-transform: uppercase; } #activity span a { color: #5085b6; text-decoration: none; } #activity span span { color: #ff7900; } #activity span .underline { text-decoration: underline; } .attach { clear: both; display: table; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; padding: 10px 0; width: 400px; } .attach div a { text-decoration: none; } .attach img { border: none; padding-right: 5px; } .attach label { display: block; margin-bottom: 5px; } .attach label a { text-decoration: none; } blockquote { margin: 0 0 0 4px; } .bold { font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 700; } .bold a { text-decoration: none; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } div.file-title a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } .green { color: #628c2a; } .MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0 0; } o { font-size: 0; } #photos div { float: left; width: 72px; } #photos div div { border: 1px solid #666666; height: 62px; overflow: hidden; width: 62px; } #photos div label { color: #666666; font-size: 10px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center; white-space: nowrap; width: 64px; } #reco-category { font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc { font-size: 77%; } .replbq { margin: 4px; } #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { /* border-right: 0px solid #000;*/ margin-right: 2px; padding-right: 5px; } #ygrp-mlmsg { font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif; *font-size: small; *font: x-small; } #ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size: inherit; font: 100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea { font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif; } #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code { font:115% monospace; *font-size:100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height: 1.22em; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo { padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { color: #ff7900; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco { margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a { font-size: 130%; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li { font-size: 77%; list-style-type: square; padding: 6px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 8px; } #ygrp-text { font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p { margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-text tt { font-size: 120%; } #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-right: none !important; } -->

                • KE1B
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
                    On Jun 25, 2013, at 8:28 PM, Jim Shaw wrote:

                    > I surrender... I'm new to digi contesting and have old habits to break. Now wondering what other protocols I need to learn...

                    Two suggestions (and I'm sure you will get others):

                    (1) Remove the phrase "please copy" from your contesting vocabulary. I worked one station this weekend at FD who actually wrote out "PLEASE COPY" on his RTTY exchange!

                    (2) "QRZ?" is NOT your callsign. (Don't be one of those folks who finish a contest exchange and then say "QRZ?" rather than give their callsign.)

                    And here's a third, courtesy of Bob Wolbert K6XX:

                    "Don't send /QRP after your callsign. I already know that you are weak."

                    -Rich KE1B
                  • James Shaw
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
                      Thanks Rich

                      Cleaned up my macros.

                      Jim

                      On Jun 25, 2013, at 8:28 PM, Jim Shaw wrote:

                      > I surrender... I'm new to digi contesting and have old habits to break.
                      Now wondering what other protocols I need to learn...

                      Two suggestions (and I'm sure you will get others):

                      (1) Remove the phrase "please copy" from your contesting vocabulary. I
                      worked one station this weekend at FD who actually wrote out "PLEASE COPY"
                      on his RTTY exchange!

                      (2) "QRZ?" is NOT your callsign. (Don't be one of those folks who finish a
                      contest exchange and then say "QRZ?" rather than give their callsign.)

                      And here's a third, courtesy of Bob Wolbert K6XX:

                      "Don't send /QRP after your callsign. I already know that you are weak."

                      -Rich KE1B

                    • Gary K9GS
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
                        "Please Copy" is poor operating technique that has, unfortunately,
                        become the norm in FD. To make matters worse, I had a station send "pse
                        cpy" on CW...makes me want to cry.

                        I also noticed a lot of stations were able to copy my call, sometimes at
                        high speed, but then they sent by hand (with a keyer usually, not a
                        straight key) and could not send their own call or the exchange
                        correctly more than once. I suspect CW readers are the culprit here.

                        On 6/25/2013 4:10 PM, Greg wrote:

                        > And you really can save quite a bit of time on each contact by
                        > modifying your exhange.
                        >
                        > From: QSL your 2A MI, pse copy my 2B OH"
                        > To: 2B OH
                        >
                        > I could never figure out the "pse copy". Its not likely that the
                        > person on the other end is going to say, "No, I don't want to". :)
                        > These add-ins use up your time and that of the person you are working.
                        > And trust me...it adds up.
                        >
                        > 73 and have fun!
                        > Greg
                        > AB7R
                        >
                        > On 6/25/13, Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@...
                        > <mailto:n4zr%40contesting.com>> wrote:
                        > > Please, no. QSL or TNX or TU is quite adequate - you don't have to
                        > > prove that you copied it correctly. It's when you're not sure that you
                        > > should ask, and then specifically, unless you got nothing, in which case
                        > > AGN? is OK.
                        > >
                        > > 73, Pete N4ZR
                        > > Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                        > > http://reversebeacon.net,
                        > > blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
                        > > For spots, please go to your favorite
                        > > ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.
                        > >
                        > > On 6/25/2013 2:05 PM, n8jql wrote:
                        > >> I would like to send a QSL report which includes the sender's exchange.
                        > >> For example: "QSL your 2A MI, pse copy my 2B OH" Is there a macro
                        > >> variable for the sender's exchange?
                        > >>
                        > >> Thanks
                        > >> Jim

                        Gary K9GS

                        Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
                        Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
                        CW Ops #1032 http://www.cwops.org

                      • Tom Osborne
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
                          Probably ops that never do a contest unless it's at FD. Seems like they
                          mustg learn that 'please copy' from someone. I know back in the day of the
                          DX lists, the 'last 2' and 'pse copy' were rampant. 73
                          Tom W7WHY

                          "Please Copy" is poor operating technique that has, unfortunately,
                          become the norm in FD. To make matters worse, I had a station send "pse
                          cpy" on CW...makes me want to cry.

                          I also noticed a lot of stations were able to copy my call, sometimes at
                          high speed, but then they sent by hand (with a keyer usually, not a
                          straight key) and could not send their own call or the exchange
                          correctly more than once. I suspect CW readers are the culprit here.
                        • Robert Chudek - K0RC
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
                            I was one source of poor CW sending. The FD computer would not key CW
                            properly, generating random, erratic, and unreadable code! For my 3-hour
                            shift, I had to use a traditional paddle. It's the first time I've used
                            a paddle in about 15 years! "Not pretty" and at first, I was only
                            slightly better than the computer generated junk!

                            73 de Bob - K�RC in MN